Hi guys, currently looking to buy a new acoustic as the nearest half decent shop to me is Chester, a good 80miles away, I was wondering if you could give me some advice in what electro acoustic are good in the £250-£450 price range(so I can make sure the shop has these in stock before I spend £30 on fuel getting there), cheers!
If I had to limit my choices to what is available to me locally (as opposed to ordering something via phone or Internet), the first thing I'd do is find out what is available to me locally.

Make some phone calls & check out the websites of the places you'd consider buying from, then make a list of the brands they carry. THEN ask about which are good and which aren't.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
get an ovation, man

and hold this for me, will you?

Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
If I had to limit my choices to what is available to me locally (as opposed to ordering something via phone or Internet), the first thing I'd do is find out what is available to me locally.

Make some phone calls & check out the websites of the places you'd consider buying from, then make a list of the brands they carry. THEN ask about which are good and which aren't.

Kinda what I would be doing in a way, just thought that on a guitar forum, I could get some advice before looking... As, you know in most cases, a decent guitar shop carries, 'Takamine, Taylor, Epiphone, Martin, Fender, Cort etc...

Was really just hoping for someone to say 'Look out for one of these models' if you get me?
Quote by intotheend
Kinda what I would be doing in a way, just thought that on a guitar forum, I could get some advice before looking... As, you know in most cases, a decent guitar shop carries, 'Takamine, Taylor, Epiphone, Martin, Fender, Cort etc...

Was really just hoping for someone to say 'Look out for one of these models' if you get me?
Actually. sometimes less help is more. People come through here all the time, that genuinely seem to enjoy things we tend to not recommend. Pretty much standard for this forum is either Yamaha, on the low end, "bang for the buck" category, or an "Original Seagull S-6".

My laminate Ibanez AEL 10 has things it does nicely, would I tell you to buy one, not really. Everybody seems to be looking for the one guitar that is everything, and all at once. More or less, "a guitar for all seasons".

So, we have a lot of people that make choices between 2 guitars that one of the "experts" here, might simply consider, "the lesser of two evils", yet they're still happy with their choice.

If you look at Epiphone, you should only consider one of the "Masterbuilt" series. With the Fenders, I'd recommend a solid top model, but only if you like a bright guitar.

Being an habitual shopper, I can tell you all the import brands have "Exoctic wood" models, which are all laminate. Dean's ""Exotica" offerings get crucified. Ibanez, "Exotic Wood" models, mostly just get insulted. On the other hand, last week a member bought a Takamine "Flamed Maple" AE model, which should have been obvious to all, is an all laminate, "exotic wood" model. The answer was, "go for it, Takamines are good guitars".

I have an Ibanez "Figured Ash" EW model. When I tried to explain it's good points, (as well as its bad points), to a member interested in one, I just got insulted.

So, our recommendations, while well intentioned, should only be interpreted as very loose guidelines. And remember, we're not the ones who have to play it, or listen to it.

That said, why don't you go out and whittle the field down a bit, before you say we're not willing to help. For me the issue is simply this, knowing it all is simply above my pay grade, and seniority.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 10, 2012,
I shop all the time, and the stores where I live have a HOST of brands...and not necessarily the ones I want!

I like mid- to high-end Dean electrics, but wouldn't touch one of their acoustics. Some of them sound nice in the store, but I have doubts about their overall construction.

I've enjoyed the Takamines and Martins I've played, but again, if you want one of those, you're better off getting a mid-level plus. It's almost as if they don't know how to work with the lower end materials & techniques sometimes.

I happen to like my Ovation, but realize that they are a unique beast. Not everyone will care for their sound, which can be very bright. Also, being part wood and part plastic is a curse & a blessing. They're hard to damage, and their sound is almost unchanged with the passage of time. Note that this also means they will not improve with age, like wood guitars will, so if you don't like the way one sounds today, you won't like the way it sounds in 20 years.

Seagulls are, IMHO, very nice for the price. They won't stand up to something like a Martin...but that's why Godin has other lines like Simon & Patarick. Still, Seagulls deliver a nice sound and a different aesthetic for the price.

Breedloves also have a nice sound and aesthetic, but don't have too many guitars in the entry-level market.

Also...are you open to buying a used guitar?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

funny man from Canadia ! looks like the standard fare MRE. chili mac # 10 i think, hold it up to the screen so i can breathe in its pleasant aroma.
Quote by stepchildusmc
funny man from Canadia ! looks like the standard fare MRE. chili mac # 10 i think, hold it up to the screen so i can breathe in its pleasant aroma.
Nah, you're gonna want to cook that, to well done....
cranky if you wanted a pay raise you could have just asked...
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
qaz111

Reported

Cheers for the advice guys looking into some of the mid-specced Martins at the moment, also I'm completely open to buying second hand, most of my guitars have been!

I've seen a Taylor 110E, any news on them, as I don't think I'd be able to try one of those but I've heard good things...
taylors are just OK until yo get into the 3 series. at that point the quality leaps forward! you get away from the lams and get solid tops. go with ox's advise, get the Ovation... it thickens the skin not just your fingertips!!