I've recently had to sell my last amplifier due to it being far too loud and too large for my new flat. As I'm also involved in bands, a gig capable amp is also a must, meaning I need both a) a practice amplifier and b) a gig/practice amplifier and I was hoping kill both birds with a single amp,

A wide variety of tones is a must for me, I play a variety of things, a selection of artists can be seen below:

* 3 doors down
* 12 stones
* Breaking Benjamin
* Killswitch engage
* All that remains
* Satriani (only a couple of tracks)
* Dishwalla
* Immanu el

The most important feature will be headphone capability, I'll be practicing late into the evening/night and the walls are too thin even for low volumes so headphones are a must, and given my space constraints, a 2x12 combo or a head and at a push 2x12 cab are the most I can get away with.

This leaves me with solid-state, hybrid (valve pre-amp) and modelling amps, unless someone can prove otherwise. The most obvious choices are the Line6 spider range, or the Marshall MG range, both of which make me cringe just thinking about them. Has anyone got any suggestions that I may have missed?
Screw Line6 Spiders, if you must go Line6 get a Flextone. Heard of a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60? They rock, probably the best value modelling amp I've seen.
Peavey Vypyr Tube, Line 6 Spider Valve, bot hybrids (valve power amp actually) AND modelling amps.

I would love to have one of those someday, some serious fun I suspect =).

Something without valves? Fender Mustang, I'm actually liking those little amps.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Get's to a point on amps where you don't get headphone slots, because they're not designed for it.
I too live in a small neighbourhood, but I have a 4x12 with a head, i can decrease the wattage to half and still play at acceptable times like 10/11 at night.
Don't bother for tone when playing at low volumes, you just need to be able to hear yourself. You can if you want, use a 412 or 212 at night, just don't bother about the tone. Don't get Spiders or MG's, I hate going to gigs and seeing them because they don't sound great (they sound okay, not terrible like everyone says) and they just don't cut through with a band. Pool your money and get line a Dark Terror with a 212 cab and just run it at 7 Watts for late at night.

Edit: Solid state/modelling are same thing.
Last edited by AJScott at Apr 9, 2012,
^Solid State/Modelling are NOT the same thing. There are tons of Solid State amps without modelling. MG's for example.

Solid State: are based on semiconductor (solid-state) circuits.

Modelling: "Modeling amplifiers use amplifier modeling to simulate the sound of well-known guitar amps, cabinets, and effects, as well as simulating the way traditional speaker cabinets sound when mixed with different types of microphones."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_amplifier#Solid-state_amplifiers

About the headphone slots then get a Line 6 Pod HD (no good amp for that, sorry).

There are amps with different power options, my Royal Atlantic can go from 3w to 100w . Another important thing, you haven't said what's your budget, that's really important.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Like I said, the mg or spiders make me cringe but they were the first thing that popped to mind. As for the options already listed, I'll do some more investigating.

As budget won't be an issue (my next bonus is rather healthy), I could always go for the blackstar series one, it has a up to a 10dB output level reduction (100W -> 10W), might be worth investigating, assuming the walls would hide it well enough. Then its just a question of EL34s or 6L6s.

Still, if anyone else has any other suggestions, then I'm open to other options.
Healthy like 2k? More? Less?

Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic AWESOME AMP!!!! Pretty versatile too

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10