I'm interested in starting home recordings,
how much better would the sound quality be using a shure sm57 + a £80 audio interface, compared to say, a £60 condenser usb microphone, with no interface.
is there much difference?

I would be playing Gilmour'esque lead guitar, so tone is quite important to me.

:]
Gear:
Jackson rr5+rr3
epiphone les paul std
fender classic 50's
Epiphone sheraton ii
blackstar ht-5s
vox ac15c1
bugera 333xl
framus 2x12
mxr carbon copy
mxr bls chorus
ehx holy grail
You can keep the SM57 forever because it's the go to guitar mic and is perfect for that sound.

You'd chuck away the USB mic if you got into any proper recording.

Basically longevity is the key word here.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
get a cab. good cab = good recording. your 2x12 is small and you wont get that oomph and boom like Gilrmour. always use new strings and new picks, old picks have no shine and sound daark
my cab is fantastic,
I've played 4x12 engl's and 4x10 fender's,
i adore the v30's in mine,

and does anybody have ideas on what interface to use?
I'd be using reaper.
Gear:
Jackson rr5+rr3
epiphone les paul std
fender classic 50's
Epiphone sheraton ii
blackstar ht-5s
vox ac15c1
bugera 333xl
framus 2x12
mxr carbon copy
mxr bls chorus
ehx holy grail
and i don't see how a 4x12 would help recording at all,
as only one cone would be mic'd up..?
Gear:
Jackson rr5+rr3
epiphone les paul std
fender classic 50's
Epiphone sheraton ii
blackstar ht-5s
vox ac15c1
bugera 333xl
framus 2x12
mxr carbon copy
mxr bls chorus
ehx holy grail
furthermore, I'm using a tube amp, sp I'd want to be able to cook them as much as possible, bearing in mind, that i have human ears, and as do my neighbours, getting my 120 watt bugera, my 15 watt vox, or even my 5 watt blackstar overdriven really hotttt, through a 4x12 would be painful before they were useful.
Gear:
Jackson rr5+rr3
epiphone les paul std
fender classic 50's
Epiphone sheraton ii
blackstar ht-5s
vox ac15c1
bugera 333xl
framus 2x12
mxr carbon copy
mxr bls chorus
ehx holy grail
ok ok if you want to use your 2x12 thts fine but they sound boxxy and woofy, remeber gilmour has a rally clean glassy type of tact tone. also, you should get g75 speakers, they work rally well when playing standard tunings.

as for intarafeces,,you cant buy nothing with 80 thats chump change bro. remember theres always money in the banana stand.

also90% of the guitar tone comes from the bass so dont waste your money what you rally need is a bass
Get a Focusrite interface, spend the extra money and get firewire if you have it on your computer. The preamps in my Saffire are great. A 57 is a great mic to have, but I would get a Sterling condenser to go with it. I have the ST59 and I'm really happy with it. Just rememebr that the most important part of signal flow is your preamp. It defines what the mic sounds like, even a Neuman U-47 can sound bad if you record using a shit preamp.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by Arch1119
Get a Focusrite interface, spend the extra money and get firewire if you have it on your computer. The preamps in my Saffire are great. A 57 is a great mic to have, but I would get a Sterling condenser to go with it. I have the ST59 and I'm really happy with it. Just rememebr that the most important part of signal flow is your preamp. It defines what the mic sounds like, even a Neuman U-47 can sound bad if you record using a shit preamp.

Good post my only disagreement is on FireWire I have recorded 4 tracks at a time on USB with no problems. I believe matrix claw (or disarm or axman) has done 6 or 8?. I wouldn't pay extra for FireWire unless buy 4 or more inputs.

Either way Saffire6 has best sounding pres in its price range.
Quote by Fat g0r0T
ok ok if you want to use your 2x12 thts fine but they sound boxxy and woofy, remeber gilmour has a rally clean glassy type of tact tone. also, you should get g75 speakers, they work rally well when playing standard tunings.

as for intarafeces,,you cant buy nothing with 80 thats chump change bro. remember theres always money in the banana stand.

also90% of the guitar tone comes from the bass so dont waste your money what you rally need is a bass

QFT.

Shure plus interface is the way to go.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I'll be recording bass too, using an ashdown bass tube amp and a '75 ish rickenbacker 4003 :]
Gear:
Jackson rr5+rr3
epiphone les paul std
fender classic 50's
Epiphone sheraton ii
blackstar ht-5s
vox ac15c1
bugera 333xl
framus 2x12
mxr carbon copy
mxr bls chorus
ehx holy grail
I was in the same spot a few weeks ago. Although I know a Shure mic is the best way to go, it was a lot more expensive because I also needed the interface, and I was only gonna do some, well, home recording. I got a Blue Snowflake usb mic, and it's super awesome. Can't say it's like a proper Shure mic, but it isn't bad at all.

So, if you want to keep it cheap, there are some decent usb mics around that will suit your needs. Although nothing beats a future proof (but more expensive) setup. It's your call.
Bobby: Luckily I'd gone upstairs to listen to her piss so I heard her shout for me to help
Quote by Fat g0r0T

This is ridiculous.

Quote by Arch1119

This is good advice. Although you don't have to get firewire [imo]. But if you are recording more than one track at a time you probably want at least usb2.
RIP Gooze

cats