I'm curious to hear what your strategies might be for playing over a progression that involves a chord moving up and down a half step (tends to be a dominant chord). It's a very hip kind of sound, but very knotty and kind of difficult to play melodically over. Trane and Monk seemed to make very playful use of motives by moving them up chromatically and adding slight alterations. I've tried utilizing that technique, but I have trouble playing any really extended ideas that continue through both chords because they share so few common tones in terms of the scale. I was wondering how you might go about using a continuous scale so as to play an idea continuing through both chords.
I couldn't think of a thing that I hope tomorrow brings
Last edited by thegloaming at Apr 9, 2012,
Over non functional progressions, say Dmaj7 - F major 7 I would treat each chord as a new tonal center.
Quote by griffRG7321
Over non functional progressions, say Dmaj7 - F major 7 I would treat each chord as a new tonal center.

Oh, I forgot to specify that these progressions tend to stay on each chord for only two beats. I try to treat each a tonal center, but because you spend such a short duration on them it's rather tricky.
I couldn't think of a thing that I hope tomorrow brings
Last edited by thegloaming at Apr 9, 2012,