I’m looking for advice about a big decision I’m in the process of making, and any input would be greatly appreciated. I’m planning this at least a year in advance, primarily so I can sort out money and establish connections.

My situation is as follows:
I’m looking to emigrate from Ireland in the Summer of 2013, for at least a year.
I’ll be 23, with a (hopeful) 2nd class Honors B.A.
I would consider doing a Master’s degree, however, I do not have the means currently to pay for this - I plan to work to raise funds to do so, but jobs are scarce in Ireland.
My main reason for emigrating is for employment. That said, I also want to travel and see new places, and meet new people.

I have been toying with a few ideas:

If I end up choosing Canada or the U.S., (I'm leaning more towards this choice) I will be starting my trip in New York at a Summer Camp I worked at in 4 years ago. I haven’t planned anything further.

I know nobody in any of these cities, and I think I’d be going alone - I’d love if my girlfriend could come, or a friend/acquaintance, but that doesn’t seem to be an option... at least yet.
        Being alone doesn’t faze me either, although I would like to establish at least one contact before traveling, to make moving easier - to stay with for the first week or two, while I find my feet.

Before I go, I plan on acquiring work experience in anything that I can, in any sector - I’d be willing to work a few hours a week for no pay on a trial basis, to gain experience and to show my ability in the field. This also serves to save money for flights, the first few weeks accommodation, and other expenses.

That said...
        Does anyone have any advice for me? I have no idea what I’m doing, hence why I’m planning at least a year in advance.
        Does anyone in either Korea, CA, WA or Vancouver want a new best friend?

TL;DR - I made this as easy to read as possible, with plenty of nice short paragraphs. Read it, you lazy monsters.
        Why don't you use this for your answers http://www.overseas-experience.com/

I ain't from any of those countries so I can't help with offering a couch.

Try bar work. Its flexible and you meet heaps of people straight away, just check what license you may need to serve booze in that country. The licenses are cheap and a given to receive if you pay the money.

Also look at this site http://www.tntmagazine.com/ Its a travel mag for antipodeans in U.K. and possibly Ireland. There's a version in Australia for U.K. travellers and may be one in U.S. but has advice on leaving the U.K.

If I didn't have such spare time on my hands I'd say you've used the wrong site and wrong forum for this. Well I am saying ha ha.
        Quote by Rebel Scum
        Why don't you use this for your answers http://www.overseas-experience.com/
        Thanks, looking into that now.
        I ain't from any of those countries so I can't help with offering a couch.
        That was a tongue-in-cheek part of the post, haha. Not expecting anything to come of that :P
        Try bar work. Its flexible and you meet heaps of people straight away, just check what license you may need to serve booze in that country. The licenses are cheap and a given to receive if you pay the money.
        My thoughts exactly, I will start looking more into this, thanks.
        Also look at this site http://www.tntmagazine.com/ Its a travel mag for antipodeans in U.K. and possibly Ireland. There's a version in Australia for U.K. travellers and may be one in U.S. but has advice on leaving the U.K.
        Again, thanks, I will utilize this comletely - the more resources, the easier this'll be.
        If I didn't have such spare time on my hands I'd say you've used the wrong site and wrong forum for this. Well I am saying ha ha.
        I know, but… it's the Pit, and the board I've been on the longest. Most other forums are crap anyway...

And I'm not a Corkonian, I just study here. I resent being called a Corkonian. For shame.
        Shitload of heroin in Vancouver man.

Just saying.

It's a gorgeous place, but with a rotten underbelly.