Hello,

I have had this problem even since I bought my orange TH30, but only since I bought my Ibanez Art500E, it started to really bother me:

when I play at rehearsals with my band, and I turn my amp up like halfway, I get nasty feedback, no matter where I stand (next to the amp, in front of the amp, ...) The feedback occurs whenever I don't play, so if I stop playing and mute the strings with my palm, feedback quickly kicks in.

What can I do to resolve this problem? Our bassist told me to buy a noise gate? If this will work, can you recommend me a decent noise gate?

Thanks,
Bauwke.

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Get some better pups, keep amp and cables away from power outlets and cords. Don't point your pups at the amp
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The old way to do it it is using a tricky little device called the guitar's volume control. Don't you think that those big old Marshall stacks would feed back at the drop of a hat? Page and Blackmore could run a Marshall Major loud enough to get power amp distortion. They just turned down the guitar between songs. You can't do that because?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
could be feedback from the cavities on your...semi-hollow?
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by lucky1978
Get some better pups, keep amp and cables away from power outlets and cords. Don't point your pups at the amp

The pickups are EMG 81s and 60s, and since they're high output actives it probably ain't helping me not get feedback
I always keep them pointed away from the amp.

Quote by fastlanestoner
could be feedback from the cavities on your...semi-hollow?

I don't think the ibanez Art500e is semi-hollow? It's an artist series, not an artcore series... And it weighs a lot more than my Cort KX5...

Quote by Cathbard
The old way to do it it is using a tricky little device called the guitar's volume control. Don't you think that those big old Marshall stacks would feed back at the drop of a hat? Page and Blackmore could run a Marshall Major loud enough to get power amp distortion. They just turned down the guitar between songs. You can't do that because?

Yes, I do that and it works, but I can't turn my guitar volume all the way down when I have to stop playing for only a second...

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
A noise gate could work... I've only ever used them digitally on cubase-like programmes, so I dunno about using them in signal flows - I feel like if you had the threshold low enough to stop feedback you'd also halve your tone aswell. But don't take my word for it. Borrow someones NS-2, see how that works.

Either turn your guitar down, or get a BOSS TU-2. Helps you stay in tune and is a great way to shut your rig up easily.

Otherwise I dunno what to suggest. It could be your pick ups.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Last edited by Into Exile at Apr 10, 2012,
Quote by Into Exile
A noise gate could work... I've only ever used them digitally on cubase-like programmes, so I dunno about using them in signal flows - I feel like if you had the threshold low enough to stop feedback you'd also halve your tone aswell. But don't take my word for it. Borrow someones NS-2, see how that works.

Either turn your guitar down, or get a BOSS TU-2. Helps you stay in tune and is a great way to shut your rig up easily.

Otherwise I dunno what to suggest. It could be your pick ups.

I have also only used noise gates on DAWs...
I'll ask the bassist to bring his noise gate at the next rehearsal.
Thanks for the help

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
I have a similar set up with active pickups.
The Decimator G String noise gate works great. So you can still have all the gain you want, but silence when not playing.
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3
Quote by TornUp
I have a similar set up with active pickups.
The Decimator G String noise gate works great. So you can still have all the gain you want, but silence when not playing.

So do you gate the amp or the guitar?
Or how does that work exactly?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Quote by Bauwke
So do you gate the amp or the guitar?
Or how does that work exactly?

I am not exactly sure how it works, but this one hooks up in the front of your amp, and in the effects loop. Takes care of any noise issue anywhere they may be in your signal chain including the guitar itsself.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/isp-technologies-decimator-g-string-noise-reduction-guitar-effects-pedal/150586000000000
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3
Without being funny or condescending, the best way to picture how a noise gate works is by imagining a literal gate.

It's (in simple terms) a method of gating off certain frequencies, and allowing only certain ones to pass through.

I'm half certain you could set it up so that once you stop playing, the gate slams shut with a split second attack and therefore stops the feedback coming through. But I could be wrong - I often am haha.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.