Budget?: Under $700 preferably. The Cheaper the better.

Favorite Artists?: I play mostly metal but I don't want a one trick poney. My playing style is similar to that of Amon Amarth, Lamb of god, and tool. In that order.
I also like to play stuff like metallica and rush.

Preferences?: I'm not too picky with bosy shape and neck profile. I don't mind aggresive shapes like explorers, v's, etc but I'm not a huge fan of B.C. Rich. I also (largely becuase of how much my current guitar annoys me) would prefer not to get another schecter. Preferably 24 frets but I wont be too picky. I don't care either way for a floyd but I don't want it unless it's a good floyd that I wont have to replace in a few years.
Also, no signature models. Something about someone elses name being on my guitar irks me.

Pickups?: not passive EMG's. If you see something and reccomend pickups I could switch to (not part of the budget) that works as well.

New or Used?: Used probably. I assume that will get me the best deal for what I'm after.

Location?: La Mirada, Ca. 90638

Current Gear?: Peavey 5150 combo, vypyr 75, Schecter Damien fr
Well, for a metal guitar of that kind, you'll want something that can handle down-tuning, and still keep good tones 'n stuff. I know the ARZ series at Ibanez is pretty good, although I think they have passive EMGs. At least from my prior experiences. The other series (RGD) is an extended scale series, but I have no idea what they play like.

ARZ
RGD
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
I'm not quite sure what it is that you want. you did a good job of explaining things that you don't like, but there isn't really much about what you want out of the guitar.

that being said, here are a couple options to get started with:
-Godin Redline 2: great neck, good pickups, nicely constructed.
-LTD MH-1000: you can get it with SD pickups, which will be nice and versatile.
-Ibanez RGA42E: no trem, good neck and very good playability.

hope these give you some ideas.
Quote by Mister A.J.
Well, for a metal guitar of that kind, you'll want something that can handle down-tuning, and still keep good tones 'n stuff. I know the ARZ series at Ibanez is pretty good, although I think they have passive EMGs. At least from my prior experiences. The other series (RGD) is an extended scale series, but I have no idea what they play like.

ARZ
RGD

the ARZ 800 has EMG 81/85..but its 800 bucks..but for 800 bucks, its a hell of a guitar..

TS, I would check out the Agile Al series, perhaps their Ceptor/interceptor series as well, plus, if you only spend ~500 on aguitar, that leaves a little for a nice pickup set..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Last edited by Controlpanel at Apr 9, 2012,
Quote by Controlpanel
the ARZ 800 has EMG 81/85..but its 800 bucks..but for 800 bucks, its a hell of a guitar..

Indeed. I don't have an 800 though. I have one of them fancy 307s. She's my baby.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
I've seen used EC-1000s for $450. Would leave you some $$$ left over to swap out the pickups if you want.
Some of those ARZs look nice. My main concern is that I would be able to find something like that but used for a lot cheaper.
The RGDs look dumb though. Coming out of the factory all dropped and stuff is kindof...bleh. I don't think I'm going to be playing in drop a or anything like that. I go down to drop D but thats about it.
MH-1000 looks cool too. I like that one!
Ibanez looks okay but I don't like the way the godin looks. Sorta weird finish on all of them.
Epiphone Explorer looks cool. I think at that point I would rather save up a few extra hundred and get a Gibson though.
I dont like the ltd ECs. I've actually played some of those before and they don't sit well with me.

I think I'm going to browse Agile for a bit. I hear they have good quality for their price.
Also, have to find an HM-100 to try.

Thanks for all the replies so far!
So, some strange happenings!
I was in another store and found an Ec 1000 and thought, well I'll give it another shot. I don't know why but compared to the last on I played this one was so much better.
Shouldn't there be some consistancy in the quality control of lower end guitars like that?