Poll: Which is more important?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is more important?
Sympathy
6 10%
Empathy
52 90%
Voters: 58.
I was thinking about sympathy and empathy earlier, and how similar, yet different they are in certain aspects. So, Pit, which do you find is a better characteristic to have, and why?
In case anyone is unaware of the subtleties, empathy is putting yourself in another's position, and recognizing what they feel, while sympathy is to show concern of one's well being, that does not require the understanding of their situation.
Definitely empathy, sympathy comes across as patronising as far as I'm concerned.
Sympathy, cause I sure don't have any empathy for the Devil.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
More like wympathy.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Empathy.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I think having one without the other makes either ineffective and circumstantial.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Probably empathy. But you can still empathise with a guy then suddenly say, "Hey, I feel you, Dick!"

But we don't want that because that sounds gay. Whereas if you are just sympathising, you'll say, "I feel bad for you, Dick."

Maybe both? But not so much sympathy because being too sympathising is irritating.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Apr 9, 2012,
Empathy is probably better to have, but noone's ever gotten empathy sex, so it's better for other people to have sympathy.
With empathy you can acknowledge how someone thinks, but still not give a single crap about it. Much better.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by ChamsRock
I was thinking about sympathy and empathy earlier, and how similar, yet different they are in certain aspects. So, Pit, which do you find is a better characteristic to have, and why?
In case anyone is unaware of the subtleties, empathy is putting yourself in another's position, and recognizing what they feel, while sympathy is to show concern of one's well being, that does not require the understanding of their situation.
Empathy isn't recognizing the feelings of another, it's understanding the feelings. Who says one is more important than the other? Sharing concern for your neighbor is a good thing either way. Don't try and shit on it.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by JustPhil
Definitely empathy, sympathy comes across as patronising as far as I'm concerned.

This.

Also, everyone should read To Kill a Mockingbird.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Sympathy is feeling sorry for someone.
Empathy is putting yourself in their shoes.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.