ok, i have an ibanez 1570 prestige. i love it, but i think the thin neck has caused a carpel tunnel out-break in my left wrist. never had the problem before in 30 years of playing les pauls and am strats. and now i've got it so bad that i only have about 50% strength, numbness and tingling and electric shocks when i turn my wrist in certain ways while playing. i do warm-ups and stretches, but it doesn't help that much. anybody else had a problem like this? thanks, brent.
Repetitive strain is what causes Carpal Tunnel, so you may be tensing up too much while playing due to the thinner neck. You may have to readjust your playing position for that particular guitar, as Ibanez guitars are constructed in a different fashion from Les Pauls and Strats.

Could you take a picture of your playing position?
hey, i took some pics but i can't find my download cable, at the moment. i did start using a more classical style when i got my ibanez's (1570 and s 7 string), but since my problem occurred, i've started wearing a wrist brace which forces me to grip the neck more straight on, like a baseball bat. thumb up like hendrix.
Quote by hevechvy
hey, i took some pics but i can't find my download cable, at the moment. i did start using a more classical style when i got my ibanez's (1570 and s 7 string), but since my problem occurred, i've started wearing a wrist brace which forces me to grip the neck more straight on, like a baseball bat. thumb up like hendrix.

baseball grip is adequate for bending and barre chords but it is not for picking. You should adjust according to techniques used and to tensions in your forearms
i would assume that the ibanez neck is not the problem. There is something that you are doing unconsciously that is tensing your muscles. Next time you sit down for a practice examine everything. look at
1.) back muscle tension
2.)shoulder muscle tension
3.) bicep and tricep muscle tension when you pick
4.) elbow joint tension and how much you move your entire arm when you pick (if you tense)
5.) lastly check the wrist tensing make sure you arent locking your wrist but letting them flow.

hope this somewhat helped. its what i do when i feel pain. i also massage my arms my fingers and wrists. Stretching arms and wrists helps amazingly too
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Apr 10, 2012,
It's pretty risky asking the internet for medical advice dude, I'd see a doctor if symptoms persist.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It's pretty risky asking the internet for medical advice dude, I'd see a doctor if symptoms persist.

Seconded. I'm not a doc but I am in med school and I can tell you that the tingling feeling, numbness, pain,metc. definitely warrants a trip to the doctor. If you handle it now you may just need a brace at bedtime to help the inflammation go away. If you wait it may require surgery to fix.

In any case, best of luck getting that sorted out and also adjusting to the new neck. Those fast necks are different but become comfortable (and feel fast!) with time.

Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
thanks guys. i appreciate the advise. i'll get to the doctor right away, but i'm having a hard time not playing. i'm just picking it up every now and then an noodling on it. i just got contacted a few weeks ago about playing in a 70's only band. they've sent me a song list and i'm not making any progress on it. i hate that. i don't think i'm gonna make it, with the hand and all. i hope i can heal up enough to start back with my les paul for a while. anyways, thanks for the help. ttyl, brent.
Well although I play Shred style necks like the ibanez wizard 2 neck.
I play them because of the fact that they are in fact, wider, flatter than strat and les paul necks.
Maybe your playing style doesn't suit the neck?
Or try doing stretches after playing?
I'm getting tired of my Ibanez' thin neck. Playing barre chords on it is an absolute pain. Makes my whole hand ache. Looking at getting a guitar with a fatter neck atm.
"Which road do I take"? she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" was his response.
"I don't know", Alice answered.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
From personal experience i had to completely relearn how to play properly b/c i was starting to get carpal tunnel. I can say that since i started playing properly it fixed itself, mine was in the very beginning stages so i kinda lucked out. I'd recommend a little rest and an in depth evaluation of what you're doing thats causing tension. Im guessing after playing for 30 years you know what to look for.
We were talking about something like this on the acoustic forum recently.

One member said that the slim "C" style neck on a Fender caused more fatigue, than his other guitars with thicker necks. Fast, but tiring, I think was the verdict there.

I know this sounds unrelated but, long haul trucks have very fat steering wheel rims, much different than the skinny steering wheels on passenger cards. The reason for this is simple, the thick rims cause less fatigue.

Like I said, it may sound unrelated, but this phenomenon has a physiological commonality, no matter where you find it.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 28, 2012,
Quote by Captaincranky
We were talking about something like this on the acoustic forum recently.

One member said that the slim "C" style neck on a Fender caused more fatigue, than his other guitars with thicker necks. Fast, but tiring, I think was the verdict there.

I know this sounds unrelated but, long haul trucks have very fat steering wheel rims, much different than the skinny steering wheels on passenger cards. The reason for this is simple, the thick rims cause less fatigue.

Like I said, it may sound unrelated, but this phenomenon has a physiological commonality, no matter where you find it.

It's like computer mouses too. Small ones are just uncomfortable. You have to tense your hand more to compensate for so much extra un-needed space. With a large mouse where your hand moulds around the mouse, you can just let it relax.

Or umbrellas.
"Which road do I take"? she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" was his response.
"I don't know", Alice answered.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
ok. got an update. rested my hand until i wasn't noticing any pain. started using only my les paul studio and was not experiencing any pain. decided to jump back on the rg1570 and bam! back in trouble. seems like it might be a leverage thing with my hand having to be closed tighter on the thin neck. i don't want to play the lp cause the 24.75 inch scale has a dull sound and i don't like that. so, i've bought a kramer sm-1. hope this solves the problem.
Quote by hevechvy
ok. got an update. rested my hand until i wasn't noticing any pain. started using only my les paul studio and was not experiencing any pain. decided to jump back on the rg1570 and bam! back in trouble. seems like it might be a leverage thing with my hand having to be closed tighter on the thin neck. i don't want to play the lp cause the 24.75 inch scale has a dull sound and i don't like that. so, i've bought a kramer sm-1. hope this solves the problem.

Nope it is not, stop blaming the guitar, its bad technique, that's it.

Shorten the strap length, tilt the neck upwards, place your thumb behind your middle finger and make sure it is perpendicular to the neck, eliminate tension and stop bending your wrist.

It's you! not the wizard neck, not the maple fretboard, not the c, shape or the 3 mm difference.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jun 6, 2012,
I have an early 70's les paul custom with extremely low frets...the fretless wonder guitar as its called.

Whenever I would play for a couple hours doing chords and lead solos my index finger would start to hurt whenever pressure was applied ( near the top end from the middle knuckle up), and would be sore for at least a day or two (only when pressure was applied to it). I now believe this was due to me having to constantly apply too much pressure on my index finger to fret notes. I can't stand that les paul anymore and its frets...most uncomfortable guitar I have ever played in my entire life.

However, playing on a guitar with larger frets this did not happen.

So make sure your frets are good size for your style of playing as well.
Last edited by Unreal T at Jun 6, 2012,
Quote by Unreal T
I have an early 70's les paul custom with extremely low frets...the fretless wonder guitar as its called.

Whenever I would play for a couple hours doing chords and lead solos my index finger would start to hurt whenever pressure was applied ( near the top end from the middle knuckle up), and would be sore for at least a day or two (only when pressure was applied to it). I now believe this was due to me having to constantly apply too much pressure on my index finger to fret notes. I can't stand that les paul anymore and its frets...most uncomfortable guitar I have ever played in my entire life.

However, playing on a guitar with larger frets this did not happen.

So make sure your frets are good size for your style of playing as well.

Seriously guys, stop blaming the guitar, unless its a 9 string or some crazy instrument they wont require you to change the biomechanics of the body, if you press too hard or bend your wrist, its your fault not the guitar's.
Quote by Slashiepie
Seriously guys, stop blaming the guitar, unless its a 9 string or some crazy instrument they wont require you to change the biomechanics of the body, if you press too hard or bend your wrist, its your fault not the guitar's.

Well, to an extent. You are absolutely correct in that technique should be evaluated and sorted out n all that but I moved off of Ibanez after having problems because of the weight and the neck and moved to Music Man..... never had a problem since. They're smaller, lighter, and just better for me.

That being said there is some degree in which the guitar makes a difference, then again majority of the difference is from developing correct technique and evaluating existing problems.

I know for a fact when I got my Music Man I reevaluated my technique, but the reason being is I was just uncomfortable with my Ibanez....
I find that guitar playing possibly even helps carpal tunnel somewhat, but then again I don't even have an Ibanez...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I'm sorry to hear that man, that really sucks. I guess loosen up is all I can say, or maybe go back to a les paul (which is never a bad thing).
Quote by Slashiepie
Nope it is not, stop blaming the guitar, its bad technique, that's it.

Shorten the strap length, tilt the neck upwards, place your thumb behind your middle finger and make sure it is perpendicular to the neck, eliminate tension and stop bending your wrist.

It's you! not the wizard neck, not the maple fretboard, not the c, shape or the 3 mm difference.

well, i hope it is me because i love that ibanez. i'll work more on what you said. thanks, brent.
Sounds to me like you need to take a break form playing and come back when you've got your strength back.

If you've got what you're calling a 'carpal tunnel outbreak' then I assume the doctor told you it was called that... If not then you need to go and see him.

Pain is your body's way of telling you you're doing something wrong. So don't play through it. You might just be making it worse/permanent.
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.