Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my equipment so it sounds a bit more toward my genre, I love my stuff (PRS se semi hollow and a flextone II plus) but I have some cash and since I like them now I think I should love them after some upgrades. So first the guitar/pups questions.

My PRS plays awesome, I threw locking tuners on and thats the only thing I've done but now I'm looking to tweak a bit more. I'm thinking a new nut and a wilkinson intonatable bridge, those two things are pretty much decided, what I want help on is I'm looking for some budget pups (the stock prs pups are incredibly lacking) that are gonna give me a good fuzz/warm/blues sound, something akin to the black keys, jack white, or gary clark jr. And since I'm on a budget I've been looking at GFS pups. I'm liking what I've heard of the dream 180's/dream 90's/and the mean 90's. Does anyone have these (in a semi would be nice just for comparison) and can tell me about them. Like I said before my desired tone is like Black Keys/Gary Clark Jr. stuff. Or any other pup reccommendations?

Now amp wise: I love my flextone II plus and it is incredibly versatile BUT I kinda want to sacrifice a bit of the versatility for a great blues tone (fender blues junior/blackface/vibro king/tweed..,or vox ac, that kind of tone) what kind of speaker would help me out there, I've been looking at the jensen c12k speaker...any thoughts on that speaker? I'm thinking jensen will probably best brand to go with, any thoughts on a speaker by them, or any other speaker for that matter? I dont want to completely sacrifice everything but the blues sound (like I would like to be able to revert to the marshall jcm sound now and then) but I am willing to give up my metal sounds so I can get a great blues sound and maybe just a decent rock sound. Thoughts?

the pedals I'd be using with the amp (just if anyones curious) are:
Dunlop Fuzzface, Big Muff Pi, ibanez tubescreamer ts9 (not alot), analog delay.

any help or suggestions are appreciated!
GUITARS:
PRS Semi-Hollow Custom SE

Amps:
Peavey Ranger 2x12 Twin Killer

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
Meh. Looks like an SE to me.
Well, thanks for confirming you know absolutely nothing about PRS guitars.
Practice or gig? How much are you willing to spend pup wise and how much amp wise?
both practice and gig, I can mic the amp at gigs so.....and probably 100 for a pair of pups and 150 for speaker
GUITARS:

Amps:

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
Why not just make it 250 for a tube amp?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I have the mean90s in an old lp jr and love 'em. GFS rocks for us poor folk. I just bought a cheap, used tele today with a p90 neck pup so I was thinking maybe getting meaner or meanest just to get crazy. I'd like to get some p90 opinions too so I hope you get a lotta comments. As far as the amp, get an old silvertone, an old fender twin and an ABY. That should get you close to jack whites neighborhood.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I would suggest selling the amp and getting something different. Tube amps are superior to solid state in my opinion. Tube amps have become very affordable in last few years and are getting more versatile. I personally have the Ibanez Tubescreamer head and 2 matching cabs which have Celestion 70/80s. It gets a great tone. I get a great Robin Trower tone with a Phaser. I get a great ZZ Top tone with a Blues Driver. And I get a dead on Black Keys tone with a Hoof Fuzz. I have tried the Marshall Haze series and love those also. The Vox Night Train series is also great .
As far as pups go... Not much experience here. I have played (and LOVE) P 90s. I have played (and also LOVE) Burstbucker 3s. I personally play Seymour Duncan Pearly Gate Humbuckers and love them. No experience with GFS though. I have wanted to purchase a set though. Let me know how they work out if you get them.
The reason I want to keep my flextone and just upgrade is its such a great amp, quite possibly the best solid state I've ever heard. It comes insanely close to a marshall and I played it up against my friends boogie dual rectifier and there was such a teensy weensy difference it was insane. I love the versatility of the amp, and it does blues stuff VERY well, I just want it to do amazing..
GUITARS:

Amps:

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
A tube screamer head has tubes?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Why not just make it 250 for a tube amp?

+1 get a pro junior or something.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Dude, you're going to want power amp overdrive. I'm not talking a JCM 800 or Dual Rec, it emulates those pretty well.

No way it emulates the sag of JTM45, cranked to the point of crying.

Your amp is crying because you are mean to it. THAT is blues.

EDIT: If you want to make good blues, I suggest buying a shitload of whiskey, and drinking until you ahve alienated everyone in your life.

When there is literally nothing you have left but your guitar, you have reached it.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Apr 9, 2012,
Quote by lucky1978
A tube screamer head has tubes?

Sure does... breaks up beautifully. I did replace the stock tubes though. I know... I know. TUBE-screamer head. Tubes in a TUBEscreamer head is self-explanatory.
Last edited by tannercoy at Apr 10, 2012,
Quote by tannercoy
Ibanez Tubescreamer head and 2 matching cabs which have Celestion 70/80s. It gets a great tone.

Did I hear someone say "we need a review thread," or is that just me?

I've heard of these, but literally no one talks about them or has experienced opinions on them. Let's have it out bro!

As for the thread... Dude, you need a tube amp. I'm not gonna bash on the flextone, I'm just saying you will be more satisfied with the sounds you hear if you're burning glass than just running a circuit. And let's not forget that Page played plenty of blues out of Marshall's and Hiwatt's. Not delta/Chicago blues, but blues nonetheless.

Peavey Delta Blues is where I'd start. 2 great channels, a boost that works wonderfully on both channels, reverb and trem. One of the combo styles comes with a 1x15 which is crazy cool in itself! Deluxe Reverb ri, Twin, find some vintage fenders to play through (the ones you mentioned in the first post were all good), maybe add tweed to your list. You'll get there, just trust your ears.
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
Last edited by bpdeem at Apr 10, 2012,
You ARE buying a JTM25 right, TS? I don't think you can do blues without it.

Oh, and whiskey.
+1 for mean 90. Maybe consider having 2 different pickups for more versatility.

For the amp, if youre somewhat happy with what you have now, deal with it and save up. I havn't done a speaker swap myself, but I feel like it can't make a big enough difference to make it worth it in a modelling amp. If you go buy an amp with what you have now, it'll just be a side step from what you currently have, not an actual improvement, unless you find some vintage gold.
again it seems like this comes up alot. modeling amps are (from my research) meant to have flat response speakers. that means you throw a V30 in there everything will be voiced more in the upper mid range. sure some of it you can dial off, but not all of it. keep same thing with a jensen just in a different way.

save up and buy a tube amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hmm, checked out the peavey delta blues, I'm liking that sound alot, so I suppose the consensus is that I should get a completely different tube amp, I do like the sound from the peavey, so I guess I'll begin saving up for that, might take awhile but it seems like it's going to be worth it.

So on the pup aspect, anyone else tried the dream 180/90 or the mean 90? Or combinations etc? I'd love to hear more about them, I'm thinking maybe a mean 90 bridge with a dream 180 neck...or something to that extent, any pup help now?
GUITARS:

Amps:

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
I have a mean 90 in the neck and a surf 90 in the bridge of a guitar. They're both really different, and I have some funky switching scheme to make it as versatile as possible. I can get just about any sound I could ever need out of it.

The mean 90 is pretty close to the p90 sound. The dream 90 is apparently more like a fatter sounding strat pickup. The dream 180 is supposed to be something between a PAF and a fillertron, and it's much higher output than the dream 90 since it's a humbucker. If you have mismatched pickups, most people recommend you have the loudest one in the bridge to compensate for the lesser string vibration and to give you a little boost for solos.

Edit: The GFS Bigmouth pickup looks like it might be pretty cool in the bridge with a mean 90 in the neck.
Last edited by &baconstrips at Apr 10, 2012,