Woohoo! Also pictured are a Boss ME-25 and MXR m109 6-band EQ I got a week ago. I'm loving the sound of the amp! I've also ordered a set of JJ ECC83S tubes and a set of JJ E34L to replace the ones in the amp (it's second hand so the tubes are about a year old in it).

All for under £1000
First off, HNGD!

Secondly, do you think you get enough control with the 6-band EQ, or do you ever wish you had a couple bands more.
How much was it aswell!
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Thanks The MXR 6-band was £60.

To be honest, I feel like I've got pretty good control with 6 bands. Comparing the 6-band and 10-band, the 6-band has 100hz, 200, 400, 800, 1.6khz and 3.2khz. The 10-band has 31.25hz, 62.5hz, 125, 250, 500, 1khz, 2khz, 4, 8 and 16, plus a (rather lousy, I've heard) volume control and gain. I'd probably not use the volume/gain at all - I'd rather use separate controllable pedals for those. As for the frequency bands, 3.2khz already has limited use on the 6-band, boosting anything higher than that for guitar will probably just add some high pitched fuzz. So 4, 8 and 16khz aren't really that useful in that regard. 31.25hz will probably be adding just mud, especially if you're playing along with a bass guitar (I actually cut the 100hz on my 6-band a bit to keep the bass tight) in a band. 61.25 has the same problem. So that's 5 bands that probably won't be of huge use with the guitar - sure, you can cut them but the guitar doesn't really operate much at those frequencies anyway. Would probably be good for being in front of the amp and getting some noise reduction though.

As for the actual useful bands for boosting, I think the 10-band has a better set up for those. I'd prefer having control over 2khz than 3.2khz for sure (3.2khz is at unity on my 6-band, making it effectively a 5-band EQ ;P). The others are pretty close and my ear probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference between a boost of 3dB at 1khz vs 800hz, for example.

So really, it comes down to whether you want to pay a bit extra for tighter control on the top end and maybe some noise reduction using those high frequency EQs. If I get a second MXR EQ I'll probably go with the 10-band, mainly because my 6-band sits in the effects loop where it does it's job excellently but if I wanted to put an EQ in front of the amp it would be nice to be able to cut those super high frequences and the low ones to get rid of some hum on high gain settings.

Hope that helps!
Last edited by Ultima2876 at Apr 10, 2012,
It does indeed :>
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.