I have a 4 string Bass guitar with pickups of 109 mm. i am planning on getting either EMG 35 DC pickups of 89 mm, or the 5 string version of 102 mm.
should i get the string version and have a lot of space left in the sockets, or whould i get the 5 string version that fits better?

i am absolutely clueless about the mechanics of those pickups, so any help would be appreciated.
EMGs have bar magnets so you don't need to worry about aligning pole pieces like you would with Fender or MusicMan (for example) pups.
What bass are the new pups going in, what's wrong with what's in there now, what amp are you using and why are you set on EMGs?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
i'm using an rather cheap (300 euro) Ibanez SR300 bass through an Acoustic collaboration series B-1. i haven't really looked into many Active pups, and these and the seymour duncan ones were the only one i could find. some of the musicians i admire use them, so i thought those were the ones i should pick for a good metal sound. i am on a limited budget, so better pups are the best way for me to improve the sound of my bass. i don't quite like the sound of the pickups i have in my bass right now because the treble and the bass are not as good as i want them to be, and the middle tones are way louder then the high and low tones. i think that has something to do with the shape of the pups. i think i'll be going for the 5 string EMG ones.
Depending on what you define as "Metal" a new amp might be the go, or even something like a Sansamp. You're going to have a bit of difficulty finding room for another battery in your SR too. Pickups are more for tweaking your tone, not completely changing it. The differences are there, sure. But they're not as major as you seem to think they are. If you want more control over your EQ I'd change the preamp before the pups.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Depending on what you define as "Metal" a new amp might be the go, or even something like a Sansamp. You're going to have a bit of difficulty finding room for another battery in your SR too. Pickups are more for tweaking your tone, not completely changing it. The differences are there, sure. But they're not as major as you seem to think they are. If you want more control over your EQ I'd change the preamp before the pups.

i tend to like the pickup swap threads because there is always a regular that tells TS to invest in something else before the pickups. i don't know what is better to invest in, so i have no thoughts to share, but this makes me want to ask, consecutive, in which case do you think a pup swap migth be needed?

not trolling, i am curious about this.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
i tend to like the pickup swap threads because there is always a regular that tells TS to invest in something else before the pickups. i don't know what is better to invest in, so i have no thoughts to share, but this makes me want to ask, consecutive, in which case do you think a pup swap migth be needed?

not trolling, i am curious about this.

If you had a million dollars to spend, there is no wrong time. It's just generally people new to the game find out about pickups and EMG's are used by a lot of metal guys and easy to install so any beginner metal fan wants them.

It's kind of a test, if people say they want new pickups to play metal and get a new great sound, it's proof they need some advice. Generally they have a low budget/practice amp, and generally their next question is what bass do they need to tune to A and why they can't get their 10-50 watt amp to be heard with drums or sound nice with a low B string.

I spent literally hours of each day searching pickups for my telecaster before eventually choosing Texas Specials granted they were over $100, but they did what I wanted, gave me more mids, great highs that didn't delve into ice pick like the original mim pickups, and were higher output so drove my amp better for the less clean music I played.
Quote by askrere
If you had a million dollars to spend, there is no wrong time. It's just generally people new to the game find out about pickups and EMG's are used by a lot of metal guys and easy to install so any beginner metal fan wants them.

It's kind of a test, if people say they want new pickups to play metal and get a new great sound, it's proof they need some advice. Generally they have a low budget/practice amp, and generally their next question is what bass do they need to tune to A and why they can't get their 10-50 watt amp to be heard with drums or sound nice with a low B string.

I spent literally hours of each day searching pickups for my telecaster before eventually choosing Texas Specials granted they were over $100, but they did what I wanted, gave me more mids, great highs that didn't delve into ice pick like the original mim pickups, and were higher output so drove my amp better for the less clean music I played.

you are right that i am new and i do need advice, but i do not intend to play in any tuning lower then D, and the power of my amp is not an issue, as i have an 500 watt one. i think that the amps that would be better would be way outside my budget. i want to improve my sound in a rather cheap way as a better guitar is also outside my budget. so the only option i see fit is getting new pups.

i do not want to be stuck to only being able to play some metal, as i find good clean tones more important then distorted tones. having read the description of some active tups i keep getting back to the EMG dc ones. the actual question was if it would matter if i fit an 4 string bass pup on my bass, or a better fitting 5 string one.

i haven't got a straight awnser to that question yet, but my gues is that it doesn't matter. i came here asking just to be sure, and to get some good constructie feedback about what any pups that might fit my playing style better then the EMG DC ones. and for referrence to the sound i would like, i mainly play music like metallica, slayer, megadeth, iron maiden and judas priest.
What amp are you using? I think a Sansamp might do more for you than pickups. why do you think you need a 5 string pickup on a 4 stringer anyways?
I did answer you question. Did you even read my posts? EMGS have bar magnets so it doesn't matter. Make sure you've got ALL. You dimensions right not just the length.
That being said, putting those pick ups in your bass wont make You that much more like any of the bands you mentioned. Mainly because of your amp. This is why a pedal like a Sansamp or VT Bass would be a much wiser investment.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB