I don't wanna spend say £200-£300 and then regret spending it and thinking I could of saved and spent that on a more expensive one.

I want a decent sounding bass with a nice weight to it. I don't mind overly heavy but I do mind ones that will feel too light. I'd be willing to spend £250-£500and something. At most, maybe £600something.

I don't really want anything in sunburst, black or white if it can be helped.

I like Fender and Ibanez mostly but would be willing to look at others.

Would just like some recommendations really.
ummmmm....Yamaha RBX170 and a nice laney rb3...
Gear:-
ESP LTD M-50.
Roland Cube20XL.
Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic 5-String.
Warwick BC-40 Bass Amp.
Morley Power Wah.
EHX Big Muff.
Been looking around some more and I like the look and sound of this. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

Squier James Johnston Jazz Bass
Quote by Johnsonium
Been looking around some more and I like the look and sound of this. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

Squier James Johnston Jazz Bass

even though i don't have personal experience with it, but signature squiers tend to be worst than their Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series, and cost the same or a little more. with this particular bass, you seem to get a different color classic vibe jazz bass, with a different bridge, so it might be better. i'd recommend you to compare tghem if possible, case i was going to recommend any squier vintage modified or classic vibe. try them and choose the one you like (this is important, since in my case, i loved the VM Jazz, but really disliked any VM or CV precision bass...)
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
I got a candy apple red P bass Affinity for $50 used the other day, look for one or post a want ad cheap, then devote your money to a good amp, and whats left/additional savings invest in a good set of strings/set up.
I shopped around for some before i got mine. although, i settled on the one i got.
I was looking at getting a squire Jazz bass. Guitar center usually has some for like 100 dollars.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
Quote by askrere
I got a candy apple red P bass Affinity for $50 used the other day, look for one or post a want ad cheap, then devote your money to a good amp, and whats left/additional savings invest in a good set of strings/set up.

^This

A Squier VM or CV or any of the Yamaha RBX series. Not sure about Ibanez, I've never played one I liked. But a good amp will get you much further in terms of your tone than a good bass will.
As for amps, I already had my mind set on getting a Line 6 LD400, unless anyone thinks I should go a different way? I'll keep looking around for a bass and will consider buying used.
If you want the top end of your budget then look out for a Fender Highway. I picked up a used one in mint condition for £425. My starter bass was a Cort. They are fantastically well made for the price, much better than the MIA Fender. Play's beautifully and sounds OK. I'm thinking of upgrading the pickups and going back to it. Check out Cort on wikipedia though, they reportedly have some dodgy ethics as a company. I also liked the Peavey bass when I was looking.
Been looking around more and have found a Yamaha RBX170, recently had new Rotosound Jazz 77 Flatwound strings put on it. Looks in good condition. Seller seems to have taken really good care of it. £80. Should I go in for this?
Go used, don't try and stretch your budget if your not comfortable, you don't need to get a highway 1.

A squier of any style will do, then find a amp, not a new line 6, maybe a old GK or Peavey.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a reliable setup without maxing your budget so you can buy a tuner, cables, strap locks, strap, maybe a set of flats and rounds too see your preference, and some extra funds for pedals (sansamp psst), hard case etc. Or just have money left over.

Edit: squier, yamaha, peavey all make great basses
Quote by Phil Starr
If you want the top end of your budget then look out for a Fender Highway. I picked up a used one in mint condition for £425. My starter bass was a Cort. They are fantastically well made for the price, much better than the MIA Fender

Expand on this?
Quote by Johnsonium
Been looking around more and have found a Yamaha RBX170, recently had new Rotosound Jazz 77 Flatwound strings put on it. Looks in good condition. Seller seems to have taken really good care of it. £80. Should I go in for this?

go for it. i has a '90s yamaha (RBX650) that's the previous version of the actual 170, and i liked it. they're durable and sound ok. for 80 bucks, it's a great deal.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Keep an eye open for an Ibanez SR500. People who own these prefer them over the higher priced SR's, and they have the same woods, electronics, and hardware. The only thing I don't like about them is the lack of a durable finish. I almost picked one up, but found a similar Fender Dimension that I want more (I'm kind of a Fender guy). Check this out: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/ibanez-sr500-$300-868841/

Happy hunting!
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Last edited by deeptubes at Apr 12, 2012,
Just bought a Fender Squier Affinity V from GAK as a back up for my G&L L2500, since arriving the G&L has stayed in its gig bag.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Ziphoblat
Expand on this?

The Fender has lots of little signs of lack of quality control. The tuning isn't as stable as the Cort, the bridge is really poorly made, the fret ends weren't properly filed, I had to have the nut re-filed.

Corts are beautifully finished for a budget guitar and set up so well straight out of the box. The Highway sounds amazing and plays well once I'd adjusted the set up properly It has an ash body and the sustain is better than the Cort and it is lighter at the expense of a neck dive. The only Squier I have is a Strat which is better made than the MIA bass but I've never played a Squier bass so I've no comment about the quality of squier,MIM Fenders or MIA Fenders. I guess anything MIA is likely to keep its value better. I just wanted to alert you to the fact that you can buy good quality basses at the top of your budget. I'd go with paying a bit less and getting a good starter bass like the ones you have been recommended, No you don't need a Highway and there are other guitars as good for the money but mine does sound lovely which is why I bought it.
Quote by Phil Starr
The Fender has lots of little signs of lack of quality control. The tuning isn't as stable as the Cort, the bridge is really poorly made, the fret ends weren't properly filed, I had to have the nut re-filed.

Whilst I agree with you regarding some of the finish issues of the affinity I can't fully agree with you regarding the tuning or bridge set up. Yes some of the fret ends did need attention and I believe that it will soon show signs of wear
I've already used it on seven gigs and three rehearsals, since my intial setup on it two weeks ago, I cannot complain regarding playability or how it has more or less stayed in tune between uses.
When you consider that at this moment it is my bass of use over my G&L L2500 and I've just sold a 1999 Musicman Stingray 5 it has an awful lot to live up to.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I've just fitted a J-Retro kit to my Affinty Jazz Bass V, it is the (1999) kit that was left over when I took it off of my 1965 Jazz Bass prior to selling it.
If anyone wanted to upgrade an Affinity Jazz Bass four or five your money would be better spent on this brilliant piece of kit rather than pickups, bridge or tuners.
I've now had these kits on my four and five string Jazz Basses and on my G&L L2500 and G&L L2500 Tribute.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Apr 18, 2012,
Been up to our rehearsal room to try the J-Retro loaded Affinity, it sounded good before through my Ashdown RPM1 preamp into my Little Giant but it really sings out now.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn