Anyone now the differences in spec between current Fender Jazzmaster Classic Player and the Japanese 66 reissue, I'm having trouble nailing down the spec for the reissue.
SMILE!
the wood quality is going to be much, much better on the '66 RI. Also, the RI will have a 7.25" Radius, whereas the Classic Players has a 9.5" C shape.

The Reissue also will have the original Fender Jazzmaster pickups versus the Seymour Duncan Designed pickups that are in the Classic. The Classic is a solid guitar, but doesn't hold a candle compared to the Reissue. I would say that if you REALLY wanted a quality Jazzmaster to even save up more for the '62 AVRI. American Jazzmasters are hands down the best in production. Don't cheap on out Jaguars and Jazzmasters, the results are rarely fun.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
That's probably the best idea but if I see a good example of any option second hand I'll be tempted at the right price but I'm not a huge fan of the 7.25" radius, which am I right in saying comes on the AVRI?

Also I'm not a fan of Mexican build quality on my tele deluxe bits started deteriorating quite quickly but the thing that bothered me is after a year or so of owning the guitar the frets started to wear quite heavily is this a problem localised to Mexicans guitars or not?
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Apr 10, 2012,
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
That's probably the best idea but if I see a good example of any option second hand I'll be tempted at the right price but I'm not a huge fan of the 7.25" radius, which am I right in saying comes on the AVRI?

Also I'm not a fan of Mexican build quality on my tele deluxe bits started deteriorating quite quickly but the thing that bothered me is after a year or so of owning the guitar the frets started to wear quite heavily is this a problem localised to Mexicans guitars or not?

you'd have to check the Fender site as many of the reissues have a 9.5 " radius even though the originals were 7.25. the japanese tend to be more likely to go with the original specs.
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck

Frets are frets; it's not like the frets on MIM guitars are made of a different material to the ones in MIA guitars.

Frets wear. You can get some guitars with stainless steel frets, but this is usually a rare, expensive custom option and certainly isn't something I've ever seen on a production guitar. Otherwise, fretwire is silver/nickel, which will wear down with use. When the frets wear unevenly you can have them levelled out so they're flatter; if they wear down too much you need to have the neck re-fretted, though this will be expensive if the guitar has a maple fretboard (needs refinishing when replacing frets), intricate inlays or binding (takes more time and care to refret).

The frets shouldn't wear as quickly as you suggest though. Many guitars last ten years without needing a refret. Some last much longer - I've played a few guitars from the 50s that still had their original frets in perfectly playable condition.

If your frets are wearing within a year, I suggest you think about using a different brand of string, a lighter string gauge and revising your technique so you don't dig in to the board and frets as much. The best way to get maximum life out of your frets is to use as light a touch as you can, use the lightest strings you can and to stick to basic strings rather than cyro-frozen ones or coated strings. Though these tougher strings do last longer than regular strings, if the string is tougher it'll wear the fret more instead of itself. I know a guy who uses .12-.54 Dean Markley Blue Steel cyrogenically treated strings and they basically grind his frets down, I had to level them out after he had the guitar just eight months and a year later he had to have them replaced and the new ones are already buggered and I'll be levelling them out again soon.

If fret wear is a concern to you and you don't want to use lighter strings, and if you want a good Jazzmaster but you want to avoid the 7.25" radius, take a look at getting some parts built for you by Warmorth, Musikraft or USACG. All three make Jazzmaster necks and bodies (so in fact you could build a whole guitar using their parts, or buy a Fender and then just buy a new neck for it), all three give you your choice of fretboard radius and all three can install stainless steel fretwire for you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Nice idea and I will look into a custom neck with some steel frets but I don't fit into any of the risk factors you suggested I play 10s of standard Ernie Ball strings and don't play that hard.
SMILE!
Quote by JustRooster
[...] The Reissue also will have the original Fender Jazzmaster pickups [...]

Fender Japans Jazzmaster pickups bare little resemblance to proper Jazzmaster pickups; ergo, aftermarket pickups are essential (maybe this has changed in recent years though, I don't know.)

On the plus side, the Japanese Jazzmasters have the tailpiece in the correct location.