Poll: Best Pickup Configuration?
Poll Options
View poll results: Best Pickup Configuration?
PJ
7 37%
JJ
3 16%
PH
5 26%
P
4 21%
J
0 0%
Voters: 19.
Hey there!

Which Pickup Configuration do u think can do heavier and smoother styles equally well??????
Gear:-
ESP LTD M-50.
Roland Cube20XL.
Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic 5-String.
Warwick BC-40 Bass Amp.
Morley Power Wah.
EHX Big Muff.
i really liked the JH on my old rockbass, but since then i've become accustom to the PJ on my yamaha. i can get pretty much any tone i need out of it, harsh bridge and a thick warm neck p
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Are there any single J basses?

Any bass can do anything is kind of the feel we have here. It's mostly opinion, some like a 6 string fretless with active soapbars, others just need a P bass one volume one tone and they can both play the darkest metal to the most laid back jazz.
Quote by askrere
Are there any single J basses?

Any bass can do anything is kind of the feel we have here. It's mostly opinion, some like a 6 string fretless with active soapbars, others just need a P bass one volume one tone and they can both play the darkest metal to the most laid back jazz.

Sorta, the '51 and '54 precisions have one single coil.
Quote by Spaz91
Sorta, the '51 and '54 precisions have one single coil.

Not quite the same though. I dont remember what or where it was, but I could swear I saw a bass online somewhere that just had a jazz type single coil at the bridge.

Regarding the OP, being able to play "heavier" or "smoother" styles has more to do with the player then with the pickup configuration.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Spaz91
The pole pieces are different in stock Fenders but, trust me, they sound the same.
Just a single coil in the bridge would shite.

I'd be inclined to agree, they might sound the same, but then again one has 8 pole pieces and is quite long, the other is essentially a strat pickup for bass.

I hate strats, and love my esquire for it's straight through sound from the bridge, both sound wayyy different and both are nearly identical single coils.

A single coil bridge only bass... bassquire... jasquire... I do have a desire to get a tele bass made with a slated bridge pup and maybe a lipstick neck pickup for a telecaster looking bass and that contrasting bright bridge and warm neck.
Quote by Spaz91
Just a single coil in the bridge would shite.

I'm pretty sure it was some kind of stripped down travel bass so, yes, shite.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I personally like PH configuration....(OMFG i didnt add d HH option!)
Gear:-
ESP LTD M-50.
Roland Cube20XL.
Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic 5-String.
Warwick BC-40 Bass Amp.
Morley Power Wah.
EHX Big Muff.
Nor did you include a humbucker on its own, or PP.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.