Hey guys, I'm playing Ocean by John Butler for my school show next week. The problem is that I haven't changed strings since Christmas when I got my new guitar. Should I change them before or after the show. The only problem is I don't want the song to sound really metallic. I'm sure you guys are familiar with the new string tone I'm talking about. Please help! The show's in one week!
as long as you can 'play them in' over the next week they should have mellowed to a nice bright but not metallic sound.
SMILE!
change them right now and play as much as you can before the show so the strings will not sound that metallic. The best would be if you could change them 2 weeks before and play a lot so they get alright, but your show is in a week.
Ayy there
I don't see why you have to change strings, my current strings I had for over half a year already, and they're thinnest gauge available= very easy to break.
Quote by Aralingh
I don't see why you have to change strings, my current strings I had for over half a year already, and they're thinnest gauge available= very easy to break.

You trollin'?

You should change your strings at least every two months if not every 4 weeks.
It keeps your guitar sounding bright and there's less risk of a string breaking or going out of tune, especially playing live. That said, do make sure to break in your strings so they do stay in tune.
Quote by ProgFripp74
You trollin'?

You should change your strings at least every two months if not every 4 weeks.
It keeps your guitar sounding bright and there's less risk of a string breaking or going out of tune, especially playing live. That said, do make sure to break in your strings so they do stay in tune.

I don't like having "obligatory" things that I'd have to buy on a monthly/weekly basis. And the higher risk of breaking a string only pushes you to put as less strings on guitar as possible while maintaining high quality of playing.
Quote by Aralingh
I don't like having "obligatory" things that I'd have to buy on a monthly/weekly basis. And the higher risk of breaking a string only pushes you to put as less strings on guitar as possible while maintaining high quality of playing.

Youve got to be kidding me......
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
Quote by Aralingh

I hate that too I have a rule if I break a string I replace them all which works out well as I end up replacing the strings on each guitar every 5 months.

If I got a gig coming up I throw a new set on though.
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
I hate that too I have a rule if I break a string I replace them all which works out well as I end up replacing the strings on each guitar every 5 months.

If I got a gig coming up I throw a new set on though.

1 string breaks, I put on a new set, that's the only time I change strings.
Ok, it seems to be a good idea to put some new strings on asap. I will go to my local music shop after school tomorrow and get some. What ones do you recommend? I've heard that some of the best are: D'addario phosphor bronze, Elixir polyweb and nanoweb coated, John Pearse strings, and Martin strings. Any ones that stand out? Also, I don't know what gauge my strings are? Any idea how to find out without buying some fancy device?
take your low E off and take it to the store if there are even vaguely competent they will be able to determine what gauge you use. I wouldn't advise coated as they increase fret wear, get the nice dependable Martins.
SMILE!
[quote="guitarjsm....[ "]....D'addario phosphor bronze, Elixir polyweb and nanoweb coated, John Pearse strings, and Martin strings. Any ones that stand out? Also, I don't know what gauge my strings are? Any idea how to find out without buying some fancy device?I'm going to suggest,
D,Addario EXP Phosphor Bronze. They will sound like the D'Addario PBs, but last longer, like Elixirs because they're coated.

Most guitars are shipping with "Acoustic Lights", gauges .012 to .053. That's an educated guess as to what's on your guitar. Here are those: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-exp16-coated-phosphor-bronze-light-acoustic-guitar-strings/104340000000000

If you're short on cash, here's the same gauge strings, but not coated: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-ej16-phosphor-bronze-light-acoustic-guitar-strings-single-pack/h71091000000000

If you still have concerns, drag the axe to the music store, and let them have a look at it.

Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
....[ ]....I wouldn't advise coated as they increase fret wear, get the nice dependable Martins.
Just for the record, most strings come out of the same factory. 80/20 "brass"or "bell bronze" strings are softer than Phosphor Bronze mixes. So, PB strings will wear frets faster than Brass 80/20's. As to whether the coating accelerates this, I don't know enough to comment.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 10, 2012,
By the way, I've been playing for three years so my fingers can handle light or medium I'm sure, but how do light or medium feel to play? Because I played someone's guitar in school a while back and their strings felt really easy to play and strum compared to mine.
Quote by guitarjsm
By the way, I've been playing for three years so my fingers can handle light or medium I'm sure, but how do light or medium feel to play? Because I played someone's guitar in school a while back and their strings felt really easy to play and strum compared to mine.
Perhaps so, but part of the issue with "ease of play", involves how well the guitar is set up.

Makers ship with acoustic lights as they are the best compromise for ease of play, and quality of sound, especially in larger guitar bodies.

To be sure, there are 2 commonly available sets lighter than "acoustic light", ("custom light" (.011 - .052), and "extra light", (.010 to .047), these are ideal for the smaller "concert, 00, 000,, and "parlor" size bodies. As to how much sonic quality you're willing to sacrifice for speed of play, ease of play, or tender fingers, is of course, up to the individual.
Well, I think I've decided against it because after playing my old guitar which has new strings, I noticed that my fingernail scratches against the strings when I finger pick, making an annoying sound. Seeing as the song I'm playing is all finger picking and nail strumming, I guess I'll wait until after the show.
Now, though, I'm reconsidering again. How long would they take to break in and the scratching sound to stop? Also, could I put my old strings back on if I didn't like the new sound or would it sound awful? Please reply soon!
In my experience, the metallic sound goes away after about a day of playing. Then they sound reasonably bright for about a week and then turn noticeably dull after about two months.
Quote by guitarjsm
Hey guys, I'm playing Ocean by John Butler for my school show next week. The problem is that I haven't changed strings since Christmas when I got my new guitar. Should I change them before or after the show. The only problem is I don't want the song to sound really metallic. I'm sure you guys are familiar with the new string tone I'm talking about. Please help! The show's in one week!
Enough with the histrionics. Change them, don't change them. If it hasn't mattered to you thus far, why should it now? Strings pushing 4 months old on a guitar that's played regularly are obviously shot, so one more week wouldn't make much of a difference.

On the other hand, new strings, only sound like "new strings" for a few hours. You would practice for the show anyway, wouldn't you? So, if you're going to change them, get cracking.