I am learning Megadeth's "Holy Wars... The punishment dues", but I have a problem. I can't mute (so they're not ringing at all!) the strings which I'm not playing. This song is no problem for me to play (if you think speed), but it sounds a bit messy because of my muting.

The tabs I'm using: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/megadeth/holy_wars_the_punishment_due_ver4_tab.htm
Riff 2 is the part I'm struggling with.

The song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d4ui9q7eDM&ob=av3n

You see there is lots of palm muting here (riff 2), and when I'm playing the notes at the A-string it seems like my muted low E-string still makes sound.

It's obvious that I'm doing something wrong, so hope you UGs can help me!
Last edited by Metal-pro at Apr 10, 2012,
Quote by Metal-pro
This song is no problem for me to play (if you think speed), but it sounds a bit messy because of my muting.
Obviously it is a problem to play for you if you think speed if you can't play it accurately.

Slow it down, WAY down. Play it, see why your e string is still ringing out (my first thought is probably your right hand position for muting.) Then fix it, and practice going a little bit faster, then a little bit faster, then a little bit faster (while still focusing on getting it muted, accurate and clean) until you get to the original tempo.

Learning to analyze your own playing (what is holding you back) and then fixing it is one of the greatest skill you can have.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Metal-pro
I am learning Megadeth's "Holy Wars... The punishment dues", but I have a problem. I can't mute (so they're not ringing at all!) the strings which I'm not playing. This song is no problem for me to play (if you think speed), but it sounds a bit messy because of my muting.

The tabs I'm using: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/megadeth/holy_wars_the_punishment_due_ver4_tab.htm
Riff 2 is the part I'm struggling with.

The song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d4ui9q7eDM&ob=av3n

You see there is lots of palm muting here (riff 2), and when I'm playing the notes at the A-string it seems like my muted low E-string still makes sound.

It's obvious that I'm doing something wrong, so hope you UGs can help me!

Dont lift your palm off the E when you do the h'ons and p'offs and it will not ring
Last edited by Arunas at Apr 10, 2012,
Quote by Sickz
Obviously it is a problem to play for you if you think speed if you can't play it accurately.

Slow it down, WAY down. Play it, see why your e string is still ringing out (my first thought is probably your right hand position for muting.) Then fix it, and practice going a little bit faster, then a little bit faster, then a little bit faster (while still focusing on getting it muted, accurate and clean) until you get to the original tempo.

Learning to analyze your own playing (what is holding you back) and then fixing it is one of the greatest skill you can have.

^This. This will probably fix all the problems.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Sickz

Thanks for answearing, I will slow down.
If a string is ringing out it's not fully muted. That's pretty much all there is to it. While playing it, pay close attention to your right hand and make sure you're not letting your palm lift when muting.
Quote by J_W
If a string is ringing out it's not fully muted. That's pretty much all there is to it. While playing it, pay close attention to your right hand and make sure you're not letting your palm lift when muting.
Thanks for responding. I will slow down and pay extra attention to my picking hand.