Hello, did anyone try these strings? If so, what do you think? Are they worth the price?
There’s a star in the northern sky
Captivating me as I walk by
Showing me what I can become
Leave behind what is lost or won
No.

Pyramids creep me out, I likely never will.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
i'm scared to try pyramids incase i like them too much and end up being only satisfied by even more expensive strings than i already use. each time i take things a step up just to try, i end up being unsatisfied with what i was using before i tried the next step up in quality.

i use DR round core strings at the moment and they are very nice. a lot of people say pyramids, and thomastik infelds, are better quality though. but DRs are considerably cheaper.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i'm scared to try pyramids incase i like them too much and end up being only satisfied by even more expensive strings than i already use. each time i take things a step up just to try, i end up being unsatisfied with what i was using before i tried the next step up in quality.

i use DR round core strings at the moment and they are very nice. a lot of people say pyramids, and thomastik infelds, are better quality though. but DRs are considerably cheaper.

Well I bought a set of Pyramids for $9,95. And they say it lasts at least 3 times longer than a regular set. So it's cheaper than buying 3 sets of ordinary strings
I put a set of the Pyramids on my Epiphone John Lennon 160-E because of The Beatles connection.

Have to say, yeah, they can give me a Beatley sound, but they really are stiff strings just like everyone says. Stiff isn't bad on an acoustic guitar used for rhythm playing, but if you want a high end set of flats for an electric, the Thomastik-Infelds are amazing. Soft, supple, and a fantastic tone.

Quote by Icy_Lights
Well I bought a set of Pyramids for $9,95. And they say it lasts at least 3 times longer than a regular set. So it's cheaper than buying 3 sets of ordinary strings

just because they say it, doesn't necessarily mean it's true. all string companies claim their strings last longer than other strings.

although having looked at the prices on thomann.de, i take back what i said about pyramids being expensive.. they do seem to have some pretty cheap sets.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
each time i take things a step up just to try, i end up being unsatisfied with what i was using before i tried the next step up in quality.

I here ya on this one man, I used to be satisfied playing guitars in the £500 price range. Then I bought an AVRI '62 Jazzmaster and now anything cheaper feels and sounds like crap by comparison. Tried buying a cheaper guitar as a backup and ended up getting rid and buying a more expensive one because it felt so low-end compared to what I was used to
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
I used to use Pyramid strings on my les paul until I realized that I simply didn't have enough money to spend $20 on a set of strings. It's fun to try out one or twice. They're great strings, definitely better than your run of the mill Ernie Ball, GHS, or D'Addario. Make more of a difference in the unplugged sound than the amplified sound.
Last edited by al112987 at Apr 10, 2012,
Quote by al112987
I used to use Pyramid strings on my les paul until I realized that I simply didn't have enough money to spend $20 on a set of strings. It's fun to try out one or twice. They're great strings, definitely better than your run of the mill Ernie Ball, GHS, or D'Addario. Make more of a difference in the unplugged sound than the amplified sound.

They're not that expensive man, unless you want the flatwounds, which are gold-plated and yeah...they're about $19, but the regular ones are from 7-10 bucks.
I got some Pyramids a while back for free when I got my amp. Nice strings. They sort of bend easier. It's a bit weird at first, but I think they're better when you get used to them. I'm not sure whether I had "roundcore" strings though.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I don't think I would use anything other than Dean Markleys or the like on my main guitar. That gets strings changed regularly.

Totally would throw them on an acoustic though.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Emperor's Child
I got some Pyramids a while back for free when I got my amp. Nice strings. They sort of bend easier. It's a bit weird at first, but I think they're better when you get used to them. I'm not sure whether I had "roundcore" strings though.

if they were easier to bend, and were the same gauge as what you're used to, they were probably round core - all round core strings are easier to bend so much easier in fact, i might even step up to 12-52 gauge for playing in standard tuning, since i've been using DR round core strings.

Also, yep, i thought pyramids were expensive until i looked on thomann.de - although maybe since they are made in germany and that site is based in germany, their prices are a lot lower than they are if you order them from a store outside of europe?

still, i bet a lot of places will sell them for stupid prices just because it's rumoured that the beatles used them.

They're OK.. I wouldn't go further than that.

(Those are the flatwounds btw, not played the roundcores)

Given a choice I would go thomastik instead at that price. But tbh I don't bother with those either, expensive strings are nice once in a while but I don't notice enough of a benefit to warrant spending that much on strings consistently. Switching from an expensive string to a mid-range string can save me £60 per year per guitar.. I'd rather keep that for beer money personally!

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details