Hi,

Appologies if I've posted this in the wrong thread.

I have a Yamaha Stage Pass 500 PA which I've been using at gigs at jam nights (usually it's a 4 piece rock band performing to a small- medium sized pub.) Just been running vocals through it at the moment, mic channels and output channel set to where the recomendation marks are at just over half way, and the vocals are coming through loud and very clear. However, when the full band is playing, the mics do tend to pick up a bit of background noise especailly from the drums, and the peak light flashes quite a bit during our gigs. There is no audible distortion or feedback, just the peak light flashing.

I'm wanting to start mic' ing up the guitar amp, partly so I can spread the sound, from it a bit more evenly in some of the larger venues, but mainly 'cause our drummer would benefit from having some guitar in his monitor. However, I could just get a cheap little desk and make a seperate backline for the monitor if needs be.

My question is, if the output is already reaching a peak, should I avoid running distorted guitar through it too? I've seen so many bands with abused PA systems and you can't hear the singer clearly, I don't want to damage mine if I can avoid it.

Or am I just being over cautious?

Cheers,

Dan
Warwick Rock Bass Corvette
Italia Modulo Bass
Warwick Rock Bass Corvette Fretless
Shine P-Bass copy
Last edited by baxio at Apr 10, 2012,
Are you using it as a stage monitor or for Front of House?

It looks like your system doesn't have any control over the gain. I suppose you could use the compressor and limiter to keep it from clipping.

I would advise getting a small mixer if you plan to mic more stuff up. Micing guitar amps will not overload the system, as you can adjust the gain of each channel separately to get a good clean mix.
Aim your mic at the amp's speaker, then gradually raise the gain while the guitarist is playing. During normal levels, the gain should not exceed the 0dB mark (which is usually at the end of the range covered by the green lights).

You may be able to reduce drum noise in your vocal mic by placing it differently, so taht it's not in line with the drum kit. This may vary depending on your mic's directionality. You may need to experiment with this if you have the time and space. I understand this may not always be possible on a small stage.
Yes, distorted guitars abuse the hell out of power amps if you're running them at 11 and riffing away all night....but equipment designed for such use has (or at least should have) at least half decent thermal protection built in
Correct, there's no control for gain on the PA mixer, just volume.

The PA is for front of house, and currently is also outputting to a single monitor, and is only handling vocals.

If it's going to damage the PA speakers having the guitar going through as well, then I'll take the monitor output from the PA and pass it into a little £50 desk, add a guitar mic to the little desk, then output the little desk to the monitor so it's more useful. Although I don't get to spread the guitar to front of house, I'd rather have years of clean vocals through my PA then damage it and comprimise the vocals.
Warwick Rock Bass Corvette
Italia Modulo Bass
Warwick Rock Bass Corvette Fretless
Shine P-Bass copy