Okay, so I haven't used a distortion pedal in years and now I kinda find myself needing one. I'm in a metal band (think August Burns Red mixed with The Devil Wears Prada and Volumes). I'm mixing up my live set up. I've been using a Boss GT-10 guitar effects processor, and it's been alright so far but it's starting to screw up and it's starting to cut in and out alot now. Our last show it was actually cutting in and out (power wise, btw) ALOT during our set. And honestly, I'm tired of the digital sounding tone it has.

But anyways, I'm looking for a distortion pedal or an overdrive pedal. I have a Boss Metal Zone pedal, I don't know what it will sound like yet going through my amp (trying it out at practice today). I also just bought a MXR 10-band EQ pedal (made my shitty Peavey Vypyr, amp I practice with at home, sound alot better). So I might have what I need already with the Metal Zone and the MXR EQ pedal.

But, since I don't know all that much about distortion pedals and stuff, I'm all ears for some suggestions if you guys know of any better pedals. Just shopping around online and looking for a good starting point I guess.

My amp is, btw, a Peavey Valve King head going into a Bugera 4x12 cab.
There is a relatively new line of pedals by blackstar. All tube pedals, they seem awesome, but I've been absorbed in my own gear problems to really make heads or tails of them.

Have a look.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
The Metalzone isn't a very good distortion pedal, it sounds ok at bedroom volumes but at gig volumes it sounds very harsh and buzzy. For a good high gain distortion I'd recommend the Metal Muff, it sound much better than most Boss pedals, even at higher volumes. Or just use it in combination with your amp's overdrive for even more gain.
Boss HM-2, is, apparently, the swedish death metal tone when couples with a JCM800 circuit.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Oh yeah, +1 to MZ being crap.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Boss HM-2, is, apparently, the swedish death metal tone when couples with a JCM800 circuit.

Yes. +1 for HM-2. It's been out of production for a long time, but you can find them quite cheap used.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Into Exile
Oh yeah, +1 to MZ being crap.

+1 to the +1

Since there was no budget given. I would suggest a Wampler TripleWreck. Or for the lower budget the metal muff is not to bad
Jackson DK2M w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez ARZ 800 w/EMG 81/60
B52 AT-100
Marshall 4x12 cab
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss DD7 Delay
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Polytune
My problem with the Metal Muff is, no matter what it's boosting,. it just sounds so... Metal Muffey?

It takes away from the amp IMHO.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
The metal zone isn't a horrible pedal, it is simply overpriced. Leviathan Fuzz would give you a really mean sound. I mean if you can spend some money there are tons. Catlinbread pedals are good. I know there is a pedal by Fuchs that is really cool too, think it is called Noxious.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
My problem with the Metal Muff is, no matter what it's boosting,. it just sounds so... Metal Muffey?

It takes away from the amp IMHO.

That's also the problem I have with Boss distortion in general.

They all over-ride your sound and make anything sound like the pedal. You want the basis and flavour of your distortion to be coming from the amp.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
I use my mt-2 with my AC15 from time to time, actually not into metal very much. It sounds really good through there. I mean if I play it through my frontman 212 it sounds much worse you know. Seems to really sound different on all four of my amps. Sometimes with higher mids and bass with treble cut I can get an okay full sound. I hear people say it sounds thin. Just mess around with the eq a little more. Distortion should really only have to be at 2 o'clock.

I think too often people search for a pedal to improve their playing techinique makes the pedal better. Not saying this is you specifically but don't fall in the trap. I saw the Triple Wreck which is a great pedal. Really good review on youtube if you want to hear it. Guy is like burgerman666 or something.
The MT-2 can sound good when you run it into a good tube amp. Kind of the same deal with how the HM-2 works. If the MT-2 had been around instead of the HM-2, I'm sure that pedal would have become the legend that the HM-2 is now.

Anyway TS, with a ValveKing, you may just want to look into a Boss SD-1 or a Bad Monkey. The VK is not designed for modern metal, but you can force it there. That might give you better results than just putting a distortion in front.

If you don't want to go that route, then a Metal Muff will probably work well.

(Btw, while the HM-2 is legend, it's a pretty bad suggestion based on what TS plays. Metalcore is not at all the sound of Swedish death metal.)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X