I use a Laney LC50 valve amp and I play in a hardcore/punk/thrash band, while I like my tone I want to beef it up a bit, as well as make it just a little more high gain. Right now I just play on the dirty channel with distortion on 8-9. What would be a better choice:

- use an overdrive pedal on top of amp distortion?
or
- use a distortion pedal on top of clean channel?

Also, for the kind of music I play what pedal would you recommend? I don't want a really saturated metal tone, more of an old school late 80s hardcore/thrash tone. Any ideas?
The only thing I have to say is, when you use the clean channel + distortion pedal, the entirely of the flavour you'll get will be from the pedal. If you have a great sounding distortion pedal, thats fine.

But if distortion is what you want, you'll generally have an amp which you've picked mostly for how the distortion sounds like, and adding an OD pedal will likely tighten and boost the sound.

As many people will recommend, you should try a maxon808 or Ibanez ts7/9 infront of the amp. As I say, it'll tighten it and you can use it to slightly boost the gain.

I'd say, unless there's a particular distortion pedal you know you love the sound of, stick with your amps distortion, and find the right pedal to go with it.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Quote by iwannabesedated
Personally, I'm a fan of distortion through a clean channel, but that's just me.

Same here, as already said though you need to love the distortion pedal you're using.
Overdrive/distortion over a distorted amp sounds too messy to my crap ears
^
It's common practice, a lot of the bands you listen to probably do exactly that

Quote by radio_schizo
I use a Laney LC50 valve amp and I play in a hardcore/punk/thrash band, while I like my tone I want to beef it up a bit, as well as make it just a little more high gain. Right now I just play on the dirty channel with distortion on 8-9. What would be a better choice:

- use an overdrive pedal on top of amp distortion?
or
- use a distortion pedal on top of clean channel?

Also, for the kind of music I play what pedal would you recommend? I don't want a really saturated metal tone, more of an old school late 80s hardcore/thrash tone. Any ideas?

On that amp? OD/Boost over the top of the cirty channel every time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You could get a jekyll and hyde and have the option for both if you really wanted. On a tube amp its usually better to use the dirt channel and if you are on a solid state you would be better using distortion because of clipping issues. Go experement if you can and see what you like better.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.