Hi guys im new here so sorry if there is a thread about this but I've tried for years on and off to learn and play but i have difficulty with the top end of the neck now im 5'2" and have limited reach is can anyone suggest anything in the past I've had full sized strat and SG and telecaster any help would be highly appreciated
Those are probably the most difficult/longets guitars out there! (particularly the SG)
You want a guitar which has it's bridge near the end of it's body and a smaller scale length (24.75" rather than 25.5").

I feel weird suggesting it, but maybe a V would work? (I don't have much experience with these though)
Your best bet is to go into a shop, explain your problem to the shop assistant and try as many different guitars as you can. Try not to come away with a 3/4 size starter pack guitar though - it won't be worth it!

EDIT: couldn't resist
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Apr 10, 2012,
Its not the body im bothered with its the neck some suggested a fender mini strat is that bad?
Quote by doive
Those are probably the most difficult/longets guitars out there! (particularly the SG)
You want a guitar which has it's bridge near the end of it's body and a smaller scale length (24.75" rather than 25.5").

Gibson SGs are 24.75" scale length.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Fender Jaguar or Mustang maybe.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Fender Jaguars and mustangs have a 24 inch scale I'm fairly sure which is shorter than Strats or SGs the Mustang has a particularly small body.
SMILE!
You could try a Fender Mustang or Jaguar. They're 24" scale (.75" shorter than Gibson scale and 1.5" shorter than standard Fender scale). Some brands do 7/8 size guitars that use the Gibson 24.75" scale and have smaller bodies. If you didn't mind putting it together yourself, you coudl have a look at Warmoth - they make 7/8 bodies that are meant for a 24.75" scale neck, but can also take a 24" scale neck with some very small modification, so you can have the smallest length and the smallest body too.

You used to be able to get some Fender guitars made with 22" scale, but I don't think any are in production now.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The bridge being further down the body will make the neck feel shorter

- take a look at someone playing an SG
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljqopfBFE71qzagivo1_500.jpg
Look how far his hands are to reach the neck

Now look at something with a bridge further down
http://www.elvispresleynews.com/images/elvispresley-lespaul-gibson-guitar.jpg
Much less arm stretch.

If you're talking about fret spacing and reaching chords there's not much to be done other than practice - you'll find your hand become more flexible over time. I struggled to make some stretches at first but am now comfortable barring and playing notes 4/5 frets away even near the nut.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
In a recent thread somebody posted this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njG_dQC-cnk you don't have anything to worry about

Other than that, theres a group of Fenders with 24" scale length (Jaguar, Mustang)....but even there, imagine your guitar was just a fret and a half shorter at the nut (try capo'ing it at the second fret to see what the benefits would be)
Last edited by seljer at Apr 10, 2012,
i have a fender stratocaster junior .. not a squier mini ) . they are almost impossible to find .

3/4 size , 22 frets , alder body ... made in mexico .. fender produced them only 1 year in 2003/2004 .

stay in tuned well .. i even put Fender american deluxe locking tuners on it .

grea tlittle guitar .

its for sale .. i want 425 $ ... its brand new condition . it sold for 300 $ in 2004 .. i upgraded the fender "F"LOGO locking tuners 65 $ and a seymour duncan hotrails at the bridge 72 $ . so 425 $ might seem expensive .. but its worth that price since its impossible to find almost .. they never show up on kijiji /ebay .

cool for lightwieght , travel and short fingers .

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-rare-Fender-stratocaster-JUNIOR-2003-avec-seymour-duncan-rails-W0QQAdIdZ336796248

another option .. you should check a fender duo-sonic mad ein mexico in that year .... they had 24 inch scale and some rare 22.75 scale .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Apr 10, 2012,
Just don't get those 3/4 things. Unless it's custom made. Cause the in-shop ones are mostly made for kids that are starting out so yeah...they don't play nor sound any good.
So custom made could work for ya. Otherwise I find a Les Paul's neck very short compared to a start neck. So try that out maybe...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
Just don't get those 3/4 things. Unless it's custom made. Cause the in-shop ones are mostly made for kids that are starting out so yeah...they don't play nor sound any good.
So custom made could work for ya. Otherwise I find a Les Paul's neck very short compared to a start neck. So try that out maybe...

Actually, taking an Ibanez Mikro or Les Paul Pee Wee, dropping in an EMG and a locking nut, and gigging that sounds hilarious.
On a more serious note, though, the Fender Mustang and Jaguar, along with similar guitars, are pretty good if you have a mild case of T-rex syndrome.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I think Squier is coming out with some Vintage Modified Jaguars and Mustangs later this year. You can wait and check those out. There are some currently on the market like Jagmaster and the VM Jaguar HH. Ibanez also has the Omar Rodriguez-Lopez sig that's not too expensive.
Jonesie what exactly do you mean you have limited reach? It may just be that you aren't yet comfortable angling your wrist to play the lower notes further down. Do you play with a strap standing up? If so use a shorter strap obviously. Do you have the guitar resting on your right thigh or centered in your lap? Try to position the instrument so it's further to your right so you're more comfortable reaching to your left. Adjusting to a new instrument is a stretch on your fingers but also your body. Keep practicing and trying to adjust. This is a pretty rare problem and you don't want to limit yourself playing mini guitars. Most of them are awful.
I have a Palmguitar V2 (travel guitar) very short scale like a mini Strat (20.25?) fantastic build, not wood, some one-piece, solid reinforced poly stuff, meant to mimic wood. And absolutely rock solid. Not affected by weather changes (Which is why I wanted it) Reminds me of the original Steinbergers. Resonates nicely, fantastic sustain. No fret buzz. Uses heavier gage strings to compensate for the low tension. Granted, its my only guitar. Quality build- Grover mini tuners. this thing is no toy. Pricey though. My only complaint is that it tends to neck-dive. But I love it.