Wassup guys

Just got a new PRS Custom 24 and I have been tinkering around trying to get it set up just right.

I have mostly done set ups on my SG so this is a whole different beast what with individual string heights + tremolo.

I have a couple questions and was wondering if anyone can give some advice and share their preferences. I am going for a relatively low action.

1. How even are your string heights? Is it flat as can be with the E strings being slightly higher off the fretboard because of the neck radius. Or do you accommodate for the neck radius and lower the E strings slightly?

This seems like a dumb question to me and I feel like the saddles should be even, but I'm curious if people do it the other way.

2. If the action is relatively low are you not able to pull the bar back as far? In the PRS guide it says "on the low E string you should be able to pull the bar all the way back and get a F#, no more no less". Does a lower action prevent this?

Any other input is appreciated Thanks!
Quote by BlaketheHero
Wassup guys

Just got a new PRS Custom 24 and I have been tinkering around trying to get it set up just right.

I have mostly done set ups on my SG so this is a whole different beast what with individual string heights + tremolo.

I have a couple questions and was wondering if anyone can give some advice and share their preferences. I am going for a relatively low action.

1. How even are your string heights? Is it flat as can be with the E strings being slightly higher off the fretboard because of the neck radius. Or do you accommodate for the neck radius and lower the E strings slightly?

This seems like a dumb question to me and I feel like the saddles should be even, but I'm curious if people do it the other way.

2. If the action is relatively low are you not able to pull the bar back as far? In the PRS guide it says "on the low E string you should be able to pull the bar all the way back and get a F#, no more no less". Does a lower action prevent this?

I'm quite new to the PRS trem myself, so I have little insight to offer. If you don't get the answers you are looking for here you may want to check over at BirdsAndMoons.com.

I just checked both of my trem models and in both cases the saddles are NOT even, rather they follow the curve of the fretboard/frets. The end result is that the string height is roughly the same for all 6 strings. I'd think that if all the saddles were level that the 3rd and 4th strings would be much closer to the frets than the 1st and 6th. YMMV.
Cool thanks for the info I'll check out that site too.

Yeah, it does make sense that you would compensate for the radius of the neck and adjust the saddle heights accordingly. I was just thinking of my SG bridge and remembered that it has a slight arc of it's own to accommodate the neck radius even though you cannot adjust individual string height.

*face palm*
Quote by BlaketheHero
Cool thanks for the info I'll check out that site too.

Yeah, it does make sense that you would compensate for the radius of the neck and adjust the saddle heights accordingly. I was just thinking of my SG bridge and remembered that it has a slight arc of it's own to accommodate the neck radius even though you cannot adjust individual string height.

*face palm*

No worries dude. I had to go and look just to make sure I knew what the hell I was talking about.
Do yourselves a favor and watch these videos. They should be mandatory for all PRS owners.

Part 1
Part 2
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
Quote by BlaketheHero
Wassup guys

On my CE24, i relatively follow the radius. Theres some minor adjustments here and there for note shortage and buzz too. (my PRS (10 years old soon) is very close to having a fret level soon)

And your action doesn't affect the trem bar pull at all, in fact the opposite happens, with the perfect trem balance you can get an even lower action from what i've noticed in the few years i've tinkered with it.

Once you get the spring balance right, its really solid.

Enjoy your PRS!

We need some piccies
Upgraded HSS USA Fender American Series Strat
G&L USA 30th Anniversary Legacy
Laney Lionheart 20 112
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour
Those videos are great and definitely should be mandatory. Thanks for posting. Bookmarked those things right away.

I've been tinkering around and think I got it pretty close to how I want it/how it should be. I just notice that when I pull back on the bar I can't get the low E as high as when the action was a little higher. It doesn't really make a difference for actual usage but it's just a side effect of the lower action. The trem is even with the body, action is insanely low, and sounds great.

Thank you! I am pretty excited to have this thing sitting in my lap right now. I was going to do a NGD thing but I've been to lazy and busy playing I'll put some pics up eventually but... it's a 2011 Custom 24 Gold top.
Quote by BlaketheHero
Those videos are great and definitely should be mandatory. Thanks for posting. Bookmarked those things right away.

I've been tinkering around and think I got it pretty close to how I want it/how it should be. I just notice that when I pull back on the bar I can't get the low E as high as when the action was a little higher. It doesn't really make a difference for actual usage but it's just a side effect of the lower action. The trem is even with the body, action is insanely low, and sounds great.

Thank you! I am pretty excited to have this thing sitting in my lap right now. I was going to do a NGD thing but I've been to lazy and busy playing I'll put some pics up eventually but... it's a 2011 Custom 24 Gold top.

Glad they helped you out. Like Orkie says in the video, every adjustment messes with the overall balance so you have to constantly go back and check measurements and relief and the like. Once you get it there though, it's as good as gold. Last time I got my PRS setup the tech sat there for 10 minutes abusing the trem trying to get it to go out of tune and couldn't get it to do it. The G string went a few cents flat, but that was it.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV