I've grown out of stainless steel rounds and I don't like flats. Nickel is where it's at, baby. I'd like to try something new though.

What I want:
I like nickel because its dark but still has the driving "ring" to it, the exact frequency that flats don't have, without the harsh highs of stainless steel strings. I want something that emphasizes though clean highs without being harsh, that will last long, feel good to my fingers and not break the bank.

I've tried Rotosound Rotobass, Ernie Ball Slninkies, Stadium Elites, Fenders and DR Jonas Hellborg Signatures. I've tried a load of coated strings and they were all total shite.

I've never tried D'addarios of any kind, DR Sunbeams or Nickel Lo-Riders, any TI rounds, any LaBella rounds, any GHS strings or anything else for that matter. I'd like opinions of any of these strings from people that've used them.

On a different note, I've noticed pure nickel strings and nickel plated steel, also difference wrap sizes on the wire. What kind of differences do these make?
Quote by Spaz91
I want something that emphasizes though clean highs without being harsh, that will last long, feel good to my fingers and not break the bank.

LOL everybody wants that! you're talking about the perfect string!

I can't help you, just tried three sets of strings... sorry
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
To me D'addarios are the perfect compromise of all the things you listed while not being the best at much of anything. Cheap, last a decent amount of time, have well-balanced tone, and they do feel great. I never get an eargasm out of them, but I've never been disappointed with them.

They're cheap enough to at least experiment with a set.
Rotosound's Rotobass and Nickel 66's have to the bright tone of a SS string but with round warmth of a nickel string.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dullsilver_mike
To me D'addarios are the perfect compromise of all the things you listed while not being the best at much of anything. Cheap, last a decent amount of time, have well-balanced tone, and they do feel great. I never get an eargasm out of them, but I've never been disappointed with them.

They're cheap enough to at least experiment with a set.

Dayum, the are cheap! AND they come in 110 sets.
But how long is a decent amount of time? I've had rounds last for three months before but these slinkies on my p bass at the moment went dead within a week.
Quote by dark Mass
Rotosound's Rotobass and Nickel 66's have to the bright tone of a SS string but with round warmth of a nickel string.

Already tried these but thanks for the input. I liked that they don't have silks (I really hate silks) but they lost their edge after only a few weeks. Stadium Elites lasted at least a month longer for the same price.
Try some SITs, I found them all right. I personally prefer Roto RS66s if playing with my fingers, and D'Addario Chromes if playing with a pick.
Quote by Spaz91
Dayum, the are cheap! AND they come in 110 sets.
But how long is a decent amount of time? I've had rounds last for three months before but these slinkies on my p bass at the moment went dead within a week.

d'addarios on a bass will last up to around 6 months depending on how much you play. they last 2 months for me
Yeah, you might get a month out of that on them... maybe. When I was averaging three hours a day I got anywhere between a month and a half and three months out of them. They don't die instantly though, you lose a lot of the extreme treble zip within a week (which I'm always glad to get rid of), but then still have a nice balanced, bright sound after that for some time.
Had some La Bella mickle wound steel core for a while that sounded and felt great. After about three months they died. They don't produce a very nice dead string sound either. Completely lifeless.
Fodera nickels on my Hwy One Jazz at the moment. I'm really enjoying them. Been about a month.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I've been using D'Addario nickel rounds for more than 20 years.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
I ordered a set of D'Addario XLs (.55 - .110) and I've just set up my bass with them. Now the harshness has died down they sound quite nice, my one qualm is that they feel a bit rough compared to the slinkies. I just hope they last longer to compensate.

(Also, £15 is not bad.)
They start to smooth out after a while, I think. Mine have begun to anyway, but I have half-rounds so they might be different.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.