Hello all, haven't really been to this section of UG yet, so forgive me if there is a ton of threads on this. I'm wondering if singing lessons are really prudent in developing a good voice. In this day and age it seems as though you can pretty much learn anything on your own given the determination and willpower needed to excel.

I'm going to start trying to perfect my voice, I don't have a terrible voice, but it's not great either. I'm wondering if I really need to shell out 30 bucks per 30 min or whatever each week, or if I can use the excercises listed here, various youtube videos and whatever other resources I can find to effectively train myself? I'm not trying to audition on The Voice or anything, just want to get better as I have no training.
IMHO, singing is a physical skill that is difficult to assess your progress on, unlike guitar. You can't really hear yourself as accurately as an instructor will, and you won't readily know what to listen for. A large part of the feedback you will get will also be sensations produced by and within your own body, and it's a matter of connecting those sensations to what sounds right, and being able to produce those sensations and sounds at will as they become habit.

In that regard, a teacher is really indispensable.

You wouldn't learn to swim from a DVD, or on line, would you?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

You wouldn't learn to swim from a DVD, or on line, would you?

CT

No my ipad died when I took it in the water.

A good teacher will be able to listen to you and identify your mistakes and more importantly the cause of those mistakes then give you specific exercises and techniques to correct those mistakes.

That said I think that it is possible to find a good array of warm up, breathing, and vocal exercises on youtube, the internet, and in books/CD or DVD tutorials that provide adequate instruction to allow you to perform the exercises properly. With daily practice even some of those simple exercises will help you develope and improve your voice.

Of course your voice is unique and a good teacher will be able to teach you a lot more than youtube or exercises you read.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers

Of course your voice is unique and a good teacher will be able to teach you a lot more than youtube or exercises you read.

^^This

also the internet can't really tell if you are doing it wrong, and a good teacher would, which will help you greatly to avoid hurting your vocal chords.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
I agree that the internet could provide you with some good exercises, but I'm not so sure how useful that is for improving your voice. It's not like your voice is a muscle that will strengthen with exercise.

Exercises are a vehicle for practising and solidifying technique. The lesson itself is for learning technique. If you don't have the technique in the first place, then the exercises are just further practice in doing something incorrectly.

Sure, your pitch will probably improve, but that's only a small part of learning to sing. You'll still be straining your throat to achieve a whiny, one-dimensional yell, except that it will be in tune. You'll still be hoarse after a night of singing.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Apr 20, 2012,
Quote by BoyLilikoi
I'm wondering if singing lessons are really prudent in developing a good voice.

Yes.

In this day and age it seems as though you can pretty much learn anything on your own given the determination and willpower needed to excel.

For the most part. With singing lessons, having one-on-one, personal, real time help will develop you far better than trying to read and compare on some forums.

I used to have some pointers and sound clips on how to sing. I'm working on getting those back up.

I'm going to start trying to perfect my voice, I don't have a terrible voice, but it's not great either. I'm wondering if I really need to shell out 30 bucks per 30 min or whatever each week, or if I can use the excercises listed here, various youtube videos and whatever other resources I can find to effectively train myself? I'm not trying to audition on The Voice or anything, just want to get better as I have no training.

Go get three voice lessons. They'll set you back $90-$180 dollars, depending on the teacher. It'll blow your mind what you'll learn.