Hi, I hate having too many power cords and cables. I also don't have a computer in my home practice area. I was curious of any options for a single device that does multifx, looping, drum machine/rhythm guide, recording(4 tracks would be fine), and maybe modeling for headphone use. Any suggestions?

It would be strictly for home use so quality counts a lil but I'm not too picky. My budget is from $200-$500. I have a Zoom G3 but the looper sucks and there's no recorder. Anyone know if the G5 has a recorder? The Boss e-band doesn't seem to have a looper. The $400 Nova system doesn't look like it has a recorder. Is there anything that does have multifx, looper, drum machine and recorder?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Maybe a Line6 Pod HD500?

I'm a little concerned about your budget. Sell the Zoom g3.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
No magic Swiss-Army components available in that budget range, sorry...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Into Exile
Maybe a Line6 Pod HD500?

I'm a little concerned about your budget. Sell the Zoom g3.

I planned on selling the G3 if I can find something that records too. I could go to $600 in a couple weeks but if it's gonna cost more I'll just stick with my cable maze
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 10, 2012,
Nothing in that price range or anywhere near that is gonna have anything close to a built in recorder let alone a 4-track.
Also, if you think that the looper on the zoom sucks then you obviously have NO idea how to use is. It is the most feature packed looper in a multi FX unit that you'll find without paying a fortune and one of the only ones with a drum machine.
Don't sell the zoom g3, it's a great pedal and the line 6 doesnt have any of the features that you're asking for that the zoom doesn't have and it has a worse looper.
TBH the looper is the zoom's best feature.

Just keep the zoom and buy a boss multi-track digital recording unit plug the zoom into that and record (or just connect the zoom to the computer and record to a proper recording interface like reaper).
Duck, I use a boss rc20xl for looping, the g3 looper sucks. I don't expect it to compete with the rc but, ya, it sucks. No offense. I have a drum machine etc already, just looking to simplify if possible and under budget. The g3 is great, not knocking that $200 gem!
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 10, 2012,
Quote by TheDuckMajor

Just keep the zoom and buy a boss multi-track digital recording unit plug the zoom into that and record (or just connect the zoom to the computer and record to a proper recording interface like reaper).

It was a stab in the dark. I knew the HD500 had an XLR input/output, I presumed that was for recording. Can't think of any other reason for having it.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
I've tried pods in the past and wasn't impressed but I've heard good things bout the HD's. I'm not looking for better though, just simpler. I guess I'm as streamlined as can be on my budget already.
The GNX4 does everything you listed and can be found used for under $200. I have one on CL with ext 3 button F/S right now for $175 and no bites. People don't really how good these are.
Quote by fly135
The GNX4 does everything you listed and can be found used for under $200. I have one on CL with ext 3 button F/S right now for $175 and no bites. People don't really how good these are.

Just googled the gnx4 and it seems perfect! There's one near me too! I've never even heard of it but damn, $140. I already emailed the seller.
Did you happen to write a review for it?
With that budget I'm going to have to say an old pc and stick Linux on it. Learn how to drive Linux (btw guys, you can run VST stuff on Linux via Wine).
Big learning curve but with your budget what options do you have? You can run Linux on pretty simple machines so you could use one somebody has cast off and of course the software will cost you nothing. all it will cost you is time to learn it.
There is some real pro stuff on Linux now - Ardour, Muse, etc.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
No devices, if your problem are cables then you need PedalSnake...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Quote by Perverockstar69
No devices, if your problem are cables then you need PedalSnake...

Sensational. That's like an extension of how I sometimes run a stereo cable but doubled - and power! Brilliant.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, it doesn't solve the power chords dilemma but the other cables... xD

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
You're pretty much going to need a computer to do any recording nowadays. unless you just wanted to record your guitar playing so you can hear yourself back.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
You're pretty much going to need a computer to do any recording nowadays. unless you just wanted to record your guitar playing so you can hear yourself back.

This is not true.

Unless you want to use lots of virtual instruments, multitrackers can do everything that the software equivalent can- and lots of them actually include drum& bass programmers that are extremely usable.

Anyone who claims multitrackers are not a good option for a home recording setup is wrong.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I haven't explored it yet, but is there an iPad app that does what you want? If not...

Boss Micro BR! I have one to log ideas when I'm on the go or traveling.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by lucky1978
Just googled the gnx4 and it seems perfect! There's one near me too! I've never even heard of it but damn, $140. I already emailed the seller.
Did you happen to write a review for it?
No, I didn't write a review. That's a good deal. You will need a compact flash card, if it doesn't come with one. They hold up to 2G so that's what I would recommend. You should also get a 3 button footswitch, a Digitech FS3 or the older matching GNXFS. The FS allows you to control the 8 Track recorder/looper while keeping the main floorboard in preset/stompbox mode. It isn't necessary, but it's helpful. You could hold out and watch GC. Once in a blue moon they discount it for $15.

The GNX4 has a MIDI drum machine so you can put complex drum tracks on it, instead of being limited to the standard rhythm machine tracks. You can put WAV files on the CF, and then add tracks to it. You can also play MP3 backing tracks off the compact flash card.

In addition to the onboard 8 track recorder/jamman looper the GNX4 has many sophisticated features such as reamping, up to 3 control assignments on footswitches and exp pedal, XLR input for a mic, XLR and 1/4" outputs, and extensive audio routing features.

No one else has suggested anything that meets every requirement you listed. Even a computer can't do everything without a midi floorboard.
Last edited by fly135 at Apr 11, 2012,
I'm waiting to hear from the seller. It doesn't look like it has the fs but I'm sure I can find one if I need it. Ty Fly

I don't think I made it clear enough in the OP, I already have a looper, 8tr rec, drum machine and multifx, I just want them all in one box so my apartment isn't a gc explosion. A computer isn't necessary cause it's just for practice and song doodles. My band has a much better recording setup at our practice room.

Thanks all!
BTW, I really like the looper in the G3. Other than the GNX series, it's the only multifx that has the looper synced to the rhythm machine. The G3 has the only looper I know of that has a visual progress bar for knowing how long you've recorded and where you are in the loop. So relative to most loopers in multifx it is a better looper.