Page 1 of 2
Is there any bands out there that are extremely unique and make good music? For example Skindred (Who I love) cross Reggae and Metal, are there any other bands that basically do there own thing like that?

Cheers!
Gear

Ibanez RGD320
BC Rich Bich
JimDeacon SG
Fender Mustang II
Not really.

I guess the closest would be bands like Opeth, Between The Buried And Me and Agalloch, but even they've spawned so many copycats they're not especially 'unique' anymore.
Quote by BelowTheSun
Not really.

I guess the closest would be bands like Opeth, Between The Buried And Me and Agalloch, but even they've spawned so many copycats they're not especially 'unique' anymore.

Yea, I was gonna say them actually, but like you said, so many bands copy them now.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Nightmare is pretty unique. Their image is pretty common where they come from, but their music is pretty diversified.
They play things from ska to jazz to some pretty heavy stuff.
They also have some soft songs and electronica.
The Gloominous Doom cross ska and death metal. Fleshgod Apocalypse used to cross classical and metal in quite a unique way.

It's hard to name unique bands because if the style is successful, lots of other bands suddenly copy their style.

Quote by TalonMeyer
here is big band swing crossed with electronic:
http://www.wimp.com/electroswingmusic/

That's awesome. Another electronic swing outfit is Tape Five, the electronic elements are less pronounced though.
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Apr 10, 2012,
Never heard a band that sound like Fightstar.
"Dreams fucking come true!" - Myles Kennedy
maudlin of the Well and Shels.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by steve987

How many bands do you listen to, 4?
Alcest are quite unique. Not heard anything like that before.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by BelowTheSun
Not really.

I'd have to agree, but would you mind naming off some of those copycat bands? I'd love to know
I always found Devin Townsend to be the only guy that sounds he does, that includes Strapping Young Lad too, i'd say he's pretty unique
Guitars
Sterling by MusicMan JP100D
Ibanez STM1
Epiphone 1967 Flying V (Ltd Edition)
Schecter Omen-8 (2012)
Amps
Randall Diavlo/RD100
Harley Benton 2x12 (V30s)
Marshall JCM2000/DSL401
Links
Soundcloud
Facebook
YouTube 1
YouTube 2
Quote by CV334
I'd have to agree, but would you mind naming off some of those copycat bands? I'd love to know

I'd hate to call them copycats, because they are very good and original in their own right, but The Contortionist sound a lot like BTBAM, but with ambient passages.
Quote by CV334

For Opeth: Nahemah, In Mourning, and other bands which incorporate Opeth's styles like Akercocke (who are actually quite unqiue) and Talanas.

As for Agalloch, there are lots of modern doom metal bands who sound a lot like them. http://www.last.fm/music/Agalloch/+similar (I know not all of are like Agalloch but a lot there do have a similar sound) Last.fm is a pretty good place to look for similar bands.
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Apr 10, 2012,
Infected Mushroom, they're like the BtBaM of electronic music except they implement more genres in each song.
Quote by Lee Makky
Is there any bands out there that are extremely unique and make good music? For example Skindred (Who I love) cross Reggae and Metal, are there any other bands that basically do there own thing like that?

Cheers!

They are badass
Korn are/were pretty unique.
Quote by Lyrax
They are badass
Korn are/were pretty unique.

o.O
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
maudlin of the Well

Kayo Dot is more or less the same thing. Does it count if it's the same guy?
Frank Zappa
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Try the Mars Volta who are made up of the vocallist and guitarist from At the Drive In who are on UG news a fair bit recently, they have latin, jazz, electronic, just about every genre known to man thrown together with progressive rock. Last couple of albums are a bit more accessible but some of their older stuff has minutes of just sound manipulation and jamming. Very unique band.
Between the Buried and Me
Rush
Dream Theater (if you can stand the vocals)
Fair to Midland (kind of)
Trophy Scars
Cynic
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Apr 10, 2012,
Quote by whoomit
Enter Shikari.

Second.

I'm not sure where you guys are getting this "there's no unique bands" shit from.

Open Mike Eagle
Animals As Leaders
Foals
old Biffy Clyro
Dance Gavin Dance

They're all at least fairly unique, or at least well differentiated from their peers.
Incubus' early stuff was a rather unique blend of genres. S.C.I.E.N.C.E was an especially good album imo.

System Of A Down's earlier stuff.

Rage Against The Machine.

Soulfly are quite a unique sounding metal band.

Red Hot Chili Peppers first few albums.

And The Doors, though late 60's, are still unique today in my opinion. Their first two albums particularly.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Alcest - Ambient Post Black Metal Shoegazey stuff
Gorillaz - Everyone knows what they sound like
Ayreon - Operatic Metal layered with medieval themes and electronic instruments
The Mars Volta - Prog Jazz Rock
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Everyone knows what they sound like too
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Apr 11, 2012,
Get this now. The Best of Djazz!

Or Corelia. Corelia kicks major ass too!

And I gay run tee that you haven't heard anything quite like these bands cause like some of you said all original music is dead.
Last edited by Jako215 at Apr 11, 2012,
Quote by TalonMeyer
here is big band swing crossed with electronic:
http://www.wimp.com/electroswingmusic/

As cool as that sound is, there is a lot of groups doing that sound at the moment.
This song was massive abouta year or so ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR8logunPzQ&ob=av3e

(EDIT: Or for a similar sound with an amazing video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLdmoX8UsRA&feature=related)

Quote by steve987

...really?
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Apr 11, 2012,
Animal Collective
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by whoomit
Enter Shikari.

>_>

<_<

The Death Panels are pretty unique.

Oh, Diablo Swing Orchestra and Estradasphere.

Edit: Oh, and Dub Trio fuse metal, reggae and dub. I first saw them supporting Skindred.

I was gonna say dso bitch!

Anyway i thought at the time korn were pretty unique. There guitar and bass work is really underrated.
If you like Skindred, you should check out Benjis previous band - Dub War
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Page 1 of 2