Hey guys

I've been collecting cash for a new guitar for over a year, and finally I bought a really nice japanese Jackson. I have even tried it before I bought it, around 30 minutes of noodling and checking how it sounds and stuff, and of course it was stunning and awesome and I went for it.

However, it's been few months already since I bought it, and I noticed that I've lost interest in playing guitar at all... And the new guitar is the cause.

In fact, I don't really like it.

I hate that uncomfortable silly "shred thin" neck profile, I can shred on a strat better and it doesn't require equilibristic poses with left hand.

It's mahogany but it sounds shit-thin.

Emg's are pretty powerful but they are way too bright.

And of course the floyd - I thought I NEED a guitar with a floyd because so many top guitarists use it... Well, I hate that piece of shit and I blocked it without a second thought but the sustain is still crap...and I hope I won't break a string any soon because its a real pain in the ass to change it.

I'd rather play my 200$ starter guitar than my 1000$ beauty. Wtf, this feels so pointless, and I can't really sell it, and I don't want to because it was a pretty good deal and it's in perfect shape and I love how it looks and I would lose alot of money if I sold it now...

Can I do ANYTHING to like it more? I mean its totally beautiful and sounds pretty good after all, but it's shit uncomfortable and really got way less low-end chunk than ibanez gio which seems to be pretty crazy...

so um yeah, this seems to be a situation like you're dating a chick thats 9/10 and looks really great buts totally @#$%ng dumb and annoying. So what would you do? :/
You could sink money buying new pick ups replacing the neck and what not or you could sell it immediately and buy a new guitar. I know what I would do you've spent enough money.
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Apr 10, 2012,
Sell it and go for a Mexican Strat or a used American Strat if you like Strats a lot.
Try a pickup change, most of the tone comes from the pickups (for the guitar part of it), the neck you're stuck with unless you email jackson and see if they'll make you a thicker neck, perhaps ask if you can order a Jackson PC1 neck as they are like baseball bats if you like that kind of thing. I have a Japanese Jackson and i have to say it is amazing, better than most guitars i've ever played.

Also what amp are you using?
If you don't like an instrument there's not much point in keeping it. I had a valveking that I absolutely hated but I kept putting work (and money) into it. Selling it and getting something else was the best day of my life.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
For me there's a crystallization phase right when I get a new instrument where I think it's just absolutely flawless and then a time of disillusionment following that, when I discover the flaws of it, where I almost end up hating it. But then it all balances out and I come to appreciate its good sides and quirks and come to live with the slightly less good sides.

But if you've disliked your guitar for several months already then I can't really see you starting to like it tomorrow. My tip would be to see it not as the perfect instrument that wasn't, but like an instrument that does what it does well, and has a time and place even though that time is not always and that place is not everywhere.
REGGIE
Quote by Darkdevil725
Toss it up on CL for trade.

Trades a good idea provided you have a good enough knowledge of guitars to know if you're getting screwed.
SMILE!
Lets see. Your choices are
1,Sell,trade or give it away.
2,Keep the guitar and hang it on the wall as art.
3,Play El Kabong with it.
4, Buy a good amp and learn how to use the EQ knobs.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Take it back bro. If floyds, shred necks, and emgs aren't your thing, don't waste your time on it.
If it don't feel right, then it don't feel right. Save yourself a lot of time and grief and sell/trade it for something that plays great! I had the same dilemma when I bought an Ibanez. I tried for months to like it, but eventually got a Les Paul. Best decision I ever made!
TS, put it on CL for trade, and if you don't know lots about guitars or feel uncomfortable with the offers, make a thread here in EG about what you're getting and I'm sure EG will help you out with what to trade for your guitar, and what not to trade for it.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
If it makes you feel any better everyone bounces round guitar styles till they find one that suits them perfectly, play as many as you can and you'll find one perfect for you quicker.
SMILE!
sell it.

if you don't love to play it, what's the point in owning it. sell it or trade it for something that you really want (because you actually want it, not because "good" guitarists use it). if you love the new guitar, you wont regret selling this one for a second.
I feel the same way about my Eclipse II. Thats why Im selling it.

Looks great, sounds great, but after the uphoria of getting a great new guitar wore off, and trying to force it on myself, I now realize its just not for me. Neck is too thin. Its uncomfortable to hold and doesnt balance well (IMO).

Lessons learned the hard way. I wish you could rent guitars (which is kind of gross), but it would help sort things out.
If you need any help working out if a trade deal is good or not if you decide to use CL just hit me up. I spent $98 on a SX strat *after shipping* and traded it off. I have yet to buy a guitar, just been trading back and forth and now I have a Fender 06 anniversary MiM Stratocaster mint condition just through doing trades that all started with a cheap strat copy.
Quote by LeakyFlask
For me there's a crystallization phase right when I get a new instrument where I think it's just absolutely flawless and then a time of disillusionment following that, when I discover the flaws of it, where I almost end up hating it. But then it all balances out and I come to appreciate its good sides and quirks and come to live with the slightly less good sides.

Thats EXACTLY what I went through with my prestige. Loved it, then when I really tried to unbiasedly review it I found it wasn't really what I wanted and I could shred better on my strat, or rather the shred neck didn't help my playing at all. However, after playing it for a while it grew on my and now I love it.

In your case though I'd just sell it. Grit your teeth and eBay it and cut your losses. I don't like floyd trems either. Too much of a PITA for the occasional pitch dive here and there.
As I was reading this I was thinking, "He obviously has to get rid of that thing." But you could also consider hanging onto it and seeing if you ever get back into that style of guitar.

In the meantime, drop a few hundred and get a strat.
Take it back.

Simple. You're not going to like every guitar you play.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by LeakyFlask

Very well said, I've been through that period with my new guitar. It came out fine in the end, thank god.

If you don't think you could possibly start loving it all of a sudden, if I was you, I'd cut my losses right there, and sell it. Lower the price a bit, try getting a deal for it... no point in keeping it as a $1000 worth floor ornament. Sure you'll lose some money, just bite the bullet and tell yourself "lesson well learned" later on. You'll feel better when you get the guitar you really like!
Thread OP here.

I play metal and I use 6505+ and engl 4x12 which is a pretty good setup. I've tried messing with EQ but no matter what I change, my guitar is still extremely bright. I like the insane amount of output of the emg's but it just lacks that low end. I can't make it sound heavy in Dstandard while my ibanez is setup to Eb and sounds way heavier.

Perhaps I'll get used to that thin neck but every time I pick it up it makes me think why would anyone even think of such uncomfortable profile. I mean serously, I have really small hands and at first it seemed to be a great idea to stay away from the gibsons chunk but really this neck is so flat and thin I can't find a comfortable pose unless I'm playing in classical position (which you can't while standing)
If you can take it back then do it.

But just a word of advice:

For new guitarists like me (well, releatively new... I've been playing for around a year now and still on my first guitar, an Ibanez RGR321), we find little annoying details all the time that can be enough to put u off playing guitar completely and indeed I have gone through periods of not playing at all.

Once I convinced myself it had severe fret buzz and it needed to be taken to a luthier. I stopped playing it. Never got round to calling up a luthier. Eventually I started playing it again and that "problem" was forgotten. I think a lot of the "problems" that beginner guitarists think their guitar has is actually more to do with perception and can usually be overcome with more practice.

I'm getting better though. My new obsession is that my frets are too jumbo. It's not affecting me as much as earlier "problems" have affected me though. That's because I realize that it just takes practice and patience. Experienced guitarists can probably find any guitar enjoyable to play. Obviously they will still have preferences though.

If you keep playing you might get used to your guitar. If you can take it back though, then do that and get a new one. Don't expect your next guitar to have ergonomics that suit you perfectly though. Unless you're extremely lucky.
"Which road do I take"? she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" was his response.
"I don't know", Alice answered.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
I'm inclined to say that you should trade it in. The "new guitar magic" has worn off, and you don't like the guitar without it. Getting a different guitar is probably what you need, and definately (from the OP) what you want.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
The fact the OP tried this guitar before he bought it and liked it, and now doesn't like it, suggests he doesn't really know what he wants and these problems are just frustrations because of a lack of time tested patience.

What's to say he doesn't try a new guitar, like it, buy it, and end up in exactly the same situation?
"Which road do I take"? she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" was his response.
"I don't know", Alice answered.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
I wouldn't waste the time or money to change anything on the guitar. If you don't like the neck profile and the way the wood resonates then there is absolutely nothing you can do.

Out of curiosity, what Jackson model is this? And what amp are you playing through?
Quote by Axe Murderer
I feel the same way about my Eclipse II. Thats why Im selling it.

Looks great, sounds great, but after the uphoria of getting a great new guitar wore off, and trying to force it on myself, I now realize its just not for me. Neck is too thin. Its uncomfortable to hold and doesnt balance well (IMO).

Lessons learned the hard way. I wish you could rent guitars (which is kind of gross), but it would help sort things out.

I had the exact same experience with an ESP Eclipse (with a Floyd!) as well. I bought one on Ebay for a great price, and when I got it I thought it was the greatest guitar ever; however, after a while I stopped playing it and reverted back to playing my other guitars. I finally put it up for sale on CL after not playing it for the better part of a year.

Also, I agree with the people speculating that the OP might not know exactly what he wants in a guitar. It took me quite a while to figure out which styles I like and dislike, and even now my opinion changes every so often. I still don't like SGs though, and I never have.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Last edited by Vecheka at Apr 11, 2012,
one question to ask: is buying another new guitar whilst keeping the jackson a possibility?
it seems there are aspects of the jackson that clearly appeal to you and others that don't, but that doesn't mean to say that at some point, the guitar will suit your style as you develop as a player? in my opinion, having varying guitars is a huge bonus in a way that a painter has different brushes. you clearly realise at this time, the jackson isn't for you BUT if you sell it, you may regret it later.
if buying another guitar without selling the jackson isn't a possibility, then thats probably the route to go, coz otherwise, at this time, its just an expensive piece of art?

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
This is exactly why I buy most of my gear off craigslist. On the chance that I end up not liking something, I can usually sell it again and get my money back out of it. Buy something from Guitar Center or Musician's Friend or whatever, that's usually not an option.

I feel your pain though. It took a long time before I accepted the fact that I just don't like "shred-style" guitars. Just like you said, the necks are uncomfortable and Floyds/Kahlers are a huge pain in the ass. I'd rather have a Strat with a bridge humbucker and locking tuners, or better yet, a Gibson style guitar, which over the years I've decided is what I'm most comfortable with, and ironically, my first guitar was an Epi Tony Iommi SG, which I still have and is still my guitar of choice. But I digress.

You have to learn from your mistakes, and when it comes to guitar gear, or really anything, you're constantly learning about yourself and your preferences.

I say either sell or trade. If you don't like it, there's no sense on keeping it just because it's expensive and looks pretty. What do you have then, a conversation piece? No point in that. Better for it to go to someone who can use it, and then you get some of your money back, and you're both happy.
Sell it. There is absolutely no sense or point in keeping a guitar just because you paid a lot for it. If it doesn't feel good to you, then the point of the guitar is lost.

What you have gained though, is experience. Now you know that you don't like thin necks. This may be a blow, but now you can narrow down what guitars you will buy in the future by a lot. Sometimes it costs money to learn things about gear. I should know, I've wasted hundreds figuring out what I really like (if only I had UG when I was starting).

Quote by CaptDin
This is exactly why I buy most of my gear off craigslist. On the chance that I end up not liking something, I can usually sell it again and get my money back out of it. Buy something from Guitar Center or Musician's Friend or whatever, that's usually not an option.

This is amazing advice. I have not bought something new in years. Buying used, while often you won't get the exact color, or the exact model sometimes, will prevent you from taking a financial loss. It's the best way to get gear.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 11, 2012,
Quote by Offworld92
This is amazing advice. I have not bought something new in years. Buying used, while often you won't get the exact color, or the exact model sometimes, will prevent you from taking a financial loss. It's the best way to get gear.

This is very true. Plus, buying used usually means the guitar will be a little worn in, so when you test it you will get a better idea of how it actually plays. Testing guitars at the store can be such a hit or miss scenario (how old are the strings, is the setup correct, etc.).
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by MvAgusta
Hey guys

I've been collecting cash for a new guitar for over a year, and finally I bought a really nice japanese Jackson. I have even tried it before I bought it, around 30 minutes of noodling and checking how it sounds and stuff, and of course it was stunning and awesome and I went for it.

However, it's been few months already since I bought it, and I noticed that I've lost interest in playing guitar at all... And the new guitar is the cause.

In fact, I don't really like it.

I hate that uncomfortable silly "shred thin" neck profile, I can shred on a strat better and it doesn't require equilibristic poses with left hand.

It's mahogany but it sounds shit-thin.

Emg's are pretty powerful but they are way too bright.

And of course the floyd - I thought I NEED a guitar with a floyd because so many top guitarists use it... Well, I hate that piece of shit and I blocked it without a second thought but the sustain is still crap...and I hope I won't break a string any soon because its a real pain in the ass to change it.

I'd rather play my 200$ starter guitar than my 1000$ beauty. Wtf, this feels so pointless, and I can't really sell it, and I don't want to because it was a pretty good deal and it's in perfect shape and I love how it looks and I would lose alot of money if I sold it now...

Can I do ANYTHING to like it more? I mean its totally beautiful and sounds pretty good after all, but it's shit uncomfortable and really got way less low-end chunk than ibanez gio which seems to be pretty crazy...

so um yeah, this seems to be a situation like you're dating a chick thats 9/10 and looks really great buts totally @#$%ng dumb and annoying. So what would you do? :/

Which model of Jackson is it? How much did you pay for it? Yes, hard tail has better tone, no doubt. Floyd is more versatile but no match for tone. However, Eddie Van Halen solved that problem with his EVH Wolfgang. It is a tone machine even with a D-Tuna and I will stand behind my claim 100%. It is the best sounding guitar I've ever played, even better than my Les Paul Custom, no kidding. It also hasa compound neck, it feels like a strat but as you go higher in the neck, the neck is flatter and better for soloing.
With that being said, depends on the model and price, you might be able to sell it and take a small loss on it, and then buy a different guitar.
i feel your pain, my shecter is an awesome sounding guitar, the neck is nice, but i just dont play it much. its the nicest guitar ive had in a while. so i dont want to sell it. but sadly it stays in the case way more than my jackson. trade that bad boy for another guitar while it is still in awesome shape. and be picky. dont just settle. try to get what you want........i may have to take my own advice ...lol
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by mig-29
i feel your pain, my shecter is an awesome sounding guitar, the neck is nice, but i just dont play it much. its the nicest guitar ive had in a while. so i dont want to sell it. but sadly it stays in the case way more than my jackson. trade that bad boy for another guitar while it is still in awesome shape. and be picky. dont just settle. try to get what you want........i may have to take my own advice ...lol

Unfortunately, Mid-29, this is a buyer's market. There are way too many used guitars out there flooding the market. You will be very luck to sell the guitar at market price. Everything is below market right now unless it is a sort after, high demand US made guitars.
Man that's an awful feeling, I had the same with an amp once, but I just didn't know what its options were or how it really worked (was when I first started playing). But it looks like you're sort of past that already anyway...

It happens, not all the gear is going to fit what you want out of it. Get something you do like, now that you know that you definetly do *not* like the stuff that's on this guitar it'll be easier to find something else. You know what things to look out for now. And then sell this one. :-)

Yes, it'll leave a bit of a bad taste but hey, that's life. Better off getting something you'll like and revive your love for guitar playing than trying to stick it out with a guitar you don't like, just because it costed a lot of money.
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW