I'm looking for pickups for both of my guitars.

Gear: In sig. My gear is very bassy (mahogany guitar, Mesa amp/cab), and I really don't think any darker-voiced pickups are in my best interest. That's not to say that the my sound is muddy, but that my lower frequencies are already very present. Also, MY SE CU22 is in Drop D (with .012-.054 D'Addario strings), and my SE CU24 is in Drop B (with .014-.068 D'Addario strings).

Genre: Jazz, Rock, Hard Rock, Metal (I need a lot of versatility)

Budget: I really don't even want to consider spending more than $200 per guitar. Ideally, I'd only have to put out $150 per guitar.

What I've considered:
--Seymour Duncan: SH-14/SH-1 | SH-12/Other?
--Lace: They sound good, but I have no idea where to start looking. I like the Deathbuckers. They seemed versatile and handled high gain very well.
--Mad House Design: I've looked at the Asylum, Straitjacket and Walter.

What I'm looking for:
-Clarity in high gain application
-Versatility (a lot of it)
-Decently high output
-Tight bottom end

Thanks, everyone, in advance!
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Last edited by bAngiel01 at May 2, 2012,
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Sounds too dark? Try putting 10's on the one thats in drop D.

I used to do a .010-.052 set, but I like my current set better. It's not really dark in a muddy way. I was trying to communicate that my low end was very present and that I do not need pickups to add any thickness or beefiness to my sound. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Thanks, though.
Quote by bAngiel01
I used to do a .010-.052 set, but I like my current set better. It's not really dark in a muddy way. I was trying to communicate that my low end was very present and that I do not need pickups to add any thickness or beefiness to my sound. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Thanks, though.

Was just a thought that you might have been able to get a fix without shelling out but nevermind.

I've played the dimarzio PAF pro in my Ibanez and I can agree the bass is quite prominent.

I have an SH-4/SH-1 set in a cheap ass SG a long time ago it save the guitar so I imagine it would do fantastic things to your PRS SE. It definitely covered all the bases your looking for.
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Was just a thought that you might have been able to get a fix without shelling out but nevermind.

I've played the dimarzio PAF pro in my Ibanez and I can agree the bass is quite prominent.

I have an SH-4/SH-1 set in a cheap ass SG a long time ago it save the guitar so I imagine it would do fantastic things to your PRS SE. It definitely covered all the bases your looking for.

I understand. I definitely don't want to come off as a jerk. I just wanted to say that I have tried lighter sets of strings. I really am thankful for your input and for trying to save me some unnecessary spending.

I half-considered the SH-4, but I was slightly concerned that the output would be too high. I do think the prominent high end in the SH-4 would help my setup though. Thanks, I'll look into that.
Last edited by bAngiel01 at Apr 10, 2012,
--Lace: They sound good, but I have no idea where to start looking. I like the Deathbuckers. They seemed versatile and handled high gain very well.

I have Lace Alumitones- the original kind upon which the Deathbuckers were based- in one of my guitars and love them. VERY clean & neutral sound that lets your pedals & amp do the heavy lifting. The Deathbcukers are voiced a bit more towards metal. The only critique I've heard of the Deathbuckers is that they may not sound all that good when using coil-splitting, but I've only heard that complaint once. BONUS: in addition to their quality, they're lightweight, and you WILL notice the difference as your strap settles into place.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
too dark with that amp? you have to play with your mids and presence controls...

anyways, I've played some of those pickups through the same amp (I use either an orange 112 or a traynor 412), as im currently guitar shopping. so here are some thoughts:
-Dimarzio PAF pro's were okay. they were better than stock pickups would be, but they weren't stunningly good. definitely a little bassy.
-Dimarzio Air Norton is definitely too bassy. its great in alder guitars, but will be dead in yours.
- instead of the Dsonic, check out an evolution. its a bit brighter sounding.
-the lace deathbucker is pretty cool. definitely a more present sound, but it should help with the bassyness alot
- neither of the duncans is really an ideal choice. they're great pickups, but maybe not bright enough for what you want.

in all honesty, I would look at EMG's (I know people will disagree with this, but I have experience here). your amp actually has the power and control to get the most out of an EMG 81/60 set, especially if its 18v modded, and it is possible to get really good tones ranging from clean to full-on metal. I play in a wedding band, and I use EMG loaded guitars all night because they do not get muddy and they are super easy to control. because the amp is powerful enough and has adequate controls, it is possible to overcome some of the typical "flatness" associated with emgs.
I fixed the OP. By dark I meant that the lower frequencies are very present and that I don't need a set of pickups to beef up my sound. It's thick already. I know I communicated that poorly. My bad.

Now that you mention it, I had a great time playing some EMG-equipped guitars in Guitar Center on my last couple visits. If you really think they would work with my amp, I will definitely consider them. If I went active, though, that leads me to the whole EMG v Blackout decision.

Thanks
Quote by bAngiel01
I fixed the OP. By dark I meant that the lower frequencies are very present and that I don't need a set of pickups to beef up my sound. It's thick already. I know I communicated that poorly. My bad.

Now that you mention it, I had a great time playing some EMG-equipped guitars in Guitar Center on my last couple visits. If you really think they would work with my amp, I will definitely consider them. If I went active, though, that leads me to the whole EMG v Blackout decision.

Thanks

actives get a bad rap because they require significant knowledge and good gear to excel. kids playing through spiders don't help.

I have always preferred EMG's (with 18v mod- more clean headroom) to blackouts. I find they have a flatter frequency response, which lets me use my amp to dial them in. the duncans are definitely more natural sounding, but they're pre-set eq curve could be a limiting factor. if you can, try playing a set of each in as similar a guitar as possible.
Quote by krehzeekid
actives get a bad rap because they require significant knowledge and good gear to excel. kids playing through spiders don't help.

I have always preferred EMG's (with 18v mod- more clean headroom) to blackouts. I find they have a flatter frequency response, which lets me use my amp to dial them in. the duncans are definitely more natural sounding, but they're pre-set eq curve could be a limiting factor. if you can, try playing a set of each in as similar a guitar as possible.

I like the idea of a flatter EQ curve, to be honest. Like I said, I've played several guitars with EMGs (LTD EC-1000, modded Ibanez Iceman, Rusty Cooley sig, Schecter Hellraiser, etc) and I really enjoyed playing them. Hmm... Here's a question. Does anyone know if the PRS SE Customs have enough room for the batteries?

So I guess I'm down to either MHD, Lace or EMGs. Thanks everyone. Keep the ideas coming!
Last edited by bAngiel01 at Apr 10, 2012,
pretty sure they do. I've seen a bunch of them with emg's around, and they didn't appear to have had any significant modifications done.
What I'm looking for:
-Clarity in high gain application

Single coils are the only way to go in this case, especially for jazz. I'd suggest a superswitch or a push pull pots to split the coils. Parallel in phase and just the furthest neck coil add some really good tones. harmonics also sound better with singles.

-Versatility (a lot of it)

Again if you coil tap you'll have more dynamic sounds.

-Decently high output

High output pickups usually don't clean up as well, I'd say don't go above 350mV, and certainly not actives. Maybe have a really high output bridge and a med output neck?

-Tight bottom end

Look for more mid/high voiced puckups. It'll help balance the deep mahogany tones and drop tunings.

As to what specific pickup.... contrary to popular belief, the pickups and electronics only account for about half of the guitars tone if that. They, for the most part, only really change the output, clarity, and playability. You can have great clarity or you can hear yourself next to a drummer when playing light legato. But as for the tone.... well i've tried many of DiMarzios products and I don't always agree with the frequency response they advertise. But most the time it's pretty close. The reason is because there is so much that affects a guitar's tone it's actually really hard to choose pickups when you have specifics in mind.
I can't say I've ever been too fond of using single coils for his gain, but I know that it's certainly possible to get high-gain clarity with humbuckers. And I know that a lot of high-output pickups don't clean up well. I know for a fact, though, the D-Sonics do (though I'm not really looking at them anymore), I know that Lace Deathbuckers do, and I honestly liked the clean sounds I got using EMG-equipped guitars (I know it's not too common to hear that).

As for your last paragraph, I'm not quite getting the gist of what you're trying to say.

Thanks for your input, though.
I'm bumping this thread because I still need help.

I'm currently looking at a SD Screamin' Demon. I like how it's advertised and how it's been received by users. It apparently is quite versatile, large sounding, and great for mahogany and high gain amps. The output (10k) isn't too far off from my stock pickups (and I'm talking the SE CU22), but I'm looking for something to handle distortion better--particular chugging and whatnot. Am I moving in the right direction?
Nothing? Really?
it could be okay, but I don't think its your best choice. not by a mile. I don't think that the screamin demon has the output that you need to keep things from going muddy on you.

I would check out an SH-5 instead. the core tone isn't too different, but it has enough output not to go mushy on lower tunings.
Quote by krehzeekid
it could be okay, but I don't think its your best choice. not by a mile. I don't think that the screamin demon has the output that you need to keep things from going muddy on you.

I would check out an SH-5 instead. the core tone isn't too different, but it has enough output not to go mushy on lower tunings.

Really? Everything I had read on it has said that it's really clear and articulate, even with heavy distortion and drop tuning. Hm...

As far as the SD Custom series goes, I was thinking about the Custom 5 over the Custom. Any reason to go with one or the other?
Dimarzio have a pickup selector on their website. You put in what your guitar body is, bridge type, what you want sound wise, and then it gives you the top 3 suggestions.

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickup-picker
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by bAngiel01
Really? Everything I had read on it has said that it's really clear and articulate, even with heavy distortion and drop tuning. Hm...

As far as the SD Custom series goes, I was thinking about the Custom 5 over the Custom. Any reason to go with one or the other?

the screamin demon is clear and articulate, the custom is simply more so. based on what you described, I don't know if a screaming demon is going to be clear enough in a darker sounding guitar with serious drop tuning

a custom 5 would be fine too.
I'm currently having a custom guitar done with Tesla OPUS-S1s and a Tesla VR Extreme in a SSH arrangement.

You might like the VR Extremes, Nitros or the Plasmas (samples on lower right hand of pages*)
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=vr-extreme
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=vr-nitro
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=plasma-x1
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=plasma-2
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=plasma-3

* for some reason, they don't demo the VR Extremes with distortion there, but they're the pickups in the Malden Subhuman, demoed here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udz-fuUDnj4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 3, 2012,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'm currently having a custom guitar done with Tesla OPUS-S1s and a Tesla VR Extreme in a SSH arrangement.

You might like the VR Extremes, Nitros or the Plasmas (samples on lower right hand of pages*)
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=vr-extreme
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=vr-nitro
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=plasma-x1
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=plasma-2
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=plasma-3

* for some reason, they don't demo the VR Extremes with distortion there, but they're the pickups in the Malden Subhuman, demoed here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udz-fuUDnj4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wow. I really liked the VR Nitro. I liked the crunchiness of that pup versus the (maybe?) buzzy sound of the plasmas (didn't like them all that much). I also liked the VR Extreme and the OPUS 1. Which of the three would be best? I heard the OPUS is their flagship, but it also seems to be pretty punishing for poor players, which worries me slightly.

Who are these people? Their pups are affordable, and they sound great. Thanks, man. Anyone else have any input on Tesla? I think I'm leaning in a new direction.
Last edited by bAngiel01 at May 3, 2012,
Somewhere on their website, they DO provide prices for their pickups- maybe on the spec sheet PDFs? While I don't recall the prices in particular, I don't recall any over $90.

I was introduced to the pickups in the Malden Subhuman, and have kept them in mind since then. Along with Lace (esp. Alumitones) and TV Jones, they are always on my short list of pickups to consider when a modding project gets considered. Oddly, I keep encountering mentions of them on Asian guitar modding sites I stumble upon at random.

But AFAIK, nobody is using them for production guitars besides Malden.

As for which is best, contact them! I did- I asked for input on what pickups would be best for my project and had an informative & helpful conversation.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 4, 2012,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Somewhere on their website, they DO provide prices for their pickups- maybe on the spec sheet PDFs? While I don't recall the prices in particular, I don't recall any over $90.

I was introduced to the pickups in the Malden Subhuman, and have kept them in mind since then. Along with Lace (esp. Alumitones) and TV Jones, they are always on my short list of pickups to consider when a modding project gets considered. Oddly, I keep encountering mentions of them on Asian guitar modding sites I stumble upon at random.

But AFAIK, nobody is using them for production guitars besides Malden.

As for which is best, contact them! I did- I asked for input on what pickups would be best for my project and had an informative & helpful conversation.

Will do! Thanks!
Hey, danny, has your custom guitar been finished yet? I'm really interested to hear how you like it, especially with the Tesla pups. In fact, the guys at Tesla recommended the VR-Extreme for my set up, too. I'm just waiting for a bridge pup to pop up somewhere (i.e. ebay) for cheap.
Unfortunately,mere still months off- the luthier and I are still talking woods (leaning towards a walnut & maple mix), neck radii, scale-length, etc.

IOW, we just started talking earlier this month.