My favourite guitar tone, it may be a lame thing to admit, but yes. As my favourite band ever, Lamb of God's tone fascinates me.

For years I've been trying to figure it out, none of it adds up. I pick up scraps of information here and there, and I form various opinions, then later realise that they still dont make sense.

His guitar, atleast, his jackson dominion signature uses a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge, which on further research has proved to be a pick up favoured by Jazz/Blues guitarists. That makes no sense to me.

I've always head that one thing that makes his tone, his, is the concept of pulling back on the gain, and upping the bass. I know he either uses a Mesa Boogie RoadKing, Mark V or a Royal Atlantic - how do these amps enable that swap to benefit his tone..

What gives it that punchy, tight, thick and meaty tone. Can anyone tell this newbie how it all comes together.

And considering this is in the GG&A forum, yes, I am specifically referring to his gear. So don't presume I'm talkin about his technique/Musicality/Compositional skills and then tell me I'm in the wrong forum.
- However If I am in the wrong forum, please do move this, I have read the rules and personally I think this is a question geared specifically towards guitar gear and accessories.

(Also, I don't care if you like lamb of god or not, if you do; great, if you don't; great - I'm just looking for some explanations.)
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Get a guitar with high output humbuckers
Get a Mark IV or Mark V
Put in the V in the graphic equalizer
Switch to the lead channel
Play with the knobs until it sounds good
???
Profit
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
He uses lower output pickups than most metal guys. It gives a different sound than using super hot pickups. Npot necessarily less heavy, unless you're alo using a low gain amp. Which is what the jazz/blues guys you mentioned would do.

I know for a while the LoG guys were using 2 mes mark IVs. One would be EQ'ed very mid heavy, while the other would have a big mid cut and a little more bass. And both would use moderate gain. And that together provides a big thick sound. Not super heavy and brutal, but tight and focused. And just enough gain to get those cutting metal tones.

So I think that's really the key. A tight focused sound with just enough gain
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
He is an incredible player and would probably sound like "Mark Morton" through any rig.

When recording you cant really use that as a point of reference as they record using studio magic and a wide variety of guitars and amps.

His live tone is just pure Mesa and medium output pickups and great muting technique.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Well, the low output pickup contributes to the lowered gain as it pushes the pre-amp tubes less and allows more headroom along with dynamics. The pickups are personal preference. Just so you know, nearly all of his tone is from amps/pedals.
Man, you guys are so ****ing smart. Thanks for the quick feedback, you've basically answered all my questions.

And Thank you for not being like 'meh hes just gd' or 'his tone aint that gd' or anything else similarly condescending. :3

... Does anyone know what pedals he would use in the studio, or live? LoG are the only band on my must see before I die list I havn't actually seen, considering they turn up in the UK once a blue moon and I ALWAYS MISS THEM. - So I've never had the chance to check out what hes using. (If he even had it on show).
- I tend to see big bands in tiny venues, where there's nowhere for them to hide their gear, and I can get on stage to have a quick peak at everything before doing an incredibly dramatic stage dive. Ahaha.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Is that to give it punchier dynamics? I presume heavy noise gates will make each note (metaphorically speaking) burst through that gate, and slam it behind them. Or should I go to bed.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
Noise gates cut down on excess hum etc. They will cut out noise below a certain db point, but can have an effect on tone, like cutting out frequencies. LoG may just dig a heavily gated tone.
I've used noise gates all the time in tandem with compressors on drum recordings, on like kick drums, to make it sound punchier - they could use them for this reason, I guess. At a certain threshold it may have a similar effect.

Sweet website man! I now know everything I want to buy.

Also, does anyone know where Mark Morton lives. I figure if I stare through his window at him for a few hours before the police arrest me, I might get some insight into his gear philosophy.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
Last edited by Into Exile at Apr 10, 2012,
As a Morton fanatic, I may be able to help here...

For one, it depends on what era of LoG. AtPB, AotW, and Sacrament all had some extensive post processing done. Wrath and Resolution are more accurate representations of their tone - they just stuck a SM57 in front of the amp and did nothing afterwards. So I'm gonna be talking about the tone from their two most recent albums.

Mark used a Mesa Mark IV for the majority of his career until recently. Being one of the biggest and most famous Mesa Boogie endorsers has it's perks; Whenever Mesa comes up with a new product, they send one to him free of charge. When Mark received the Royal Atlantic, he fell in love. Willie, I believe, still uses the Mark series (either IV or V). All rhythms on Wrath and Resolution are Mark IV, no doubt about it. The leads on Resolution are all Royal Atlantic. If you listen to the solos in Grace and Ghost Walking, you should hear a difference in tone. Note that Ghost Walking does have a large mid boost, but the overall tone of the notes is thicker, more British sounding, ie more Royal Atlantic. He did a video with Mesa with his new Royal Atlantic where he actually played the rhythms on it. You should notice that the tone is much different from the record, with more bass and warmth. I think this is partially due to an awkward mic placement on Mesa's part, but still. If you haven't seen the video, boom. They even show his settings, but again, his didn't originally record rhythms with the RA.

Although his Dominion does come with Duncan '59s in the store, those are not what he uses. For the past two or three years, he's been working with Dimarzio in developing a signature pickup. It's basically a Dimarzio Breed with more crunch and mids. The pickups are completed and I've heard great things, but I don't think they're available for purchase at the moment. They're called Dimarzio Dominion's, look em up.

Keep in mind that he doesn't always use a Dominion when recording. The entirety of Sacrament rhythms was recorded with his favorite guitar, an old Gibson Goldtop (I think 56 or 57...). On Wrath and Resolution, the guitars vary. All I know for sure is that the cleans on King Me are from a telecaster, and that he recorded all solos in Resolution on a Soloist.

He doesn't use many pedals. He's used an MXR GT-OD in the past for boosting his lead, but lately he's been into the Way Huge Green Rhino. I have no idea if he uses that live. His wah varies from a standard Crybaby to the Jerry Cantrell signature. His delay is an MXR Carbon Copy. He uses the MXR Van Halen phaser every now and then for solos. It's a really subtle effect, I doubt you'll need one. His noise gate is in his rack, I believe.

Overall, get a mahogany guitar, slap on a Dimarzio Breed (or a Dominion when they come out), buy and overdrive and EQ pedal, and you're good. I use a Blackstar HT-5 and with my Digitech Hardwire CM-2 OD and MXR 10-band EQ, I can get pretty close to his tone.

Hope that helps. If all else fails, remember to lower the gain, but boost the volume and mids.

EDIT: I know all this "insider information" by following him on twitter. He talks about gear quite often, but don't answer many questions that have been asked before, so I'm not sure if he'll reply if you ask him about gear... But anyways, here's his twitter.

EDIT: More information!

Mark definitely loves blues, thus his guitar has coil splitters. If you want to hear the Royal Atlantic on metal/bluesy rhythms, he recorded a couple songs with Dez of DevilDriver. Check it out, this is pure RA
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Last edited by larrytheguitar at Apr 10, 2012,
I'm not even joking when I ask: Can I print that out? you just changed my life haha... I have a friend who would love to read that.

I deleted my twitter because of randy blythe actually, lmao - the man goes on and on and on and on AND ON, over 6 tweets 140 characters at a time; never even thought to follow the Morton.

I may set up some for of twitter-link to my facebook and only follow him, so I can regularly keep an eye out for what hes using, working on.. who he's working with and who hes sleeping with.

Thanks mate, It'll be a long time till I can get anywhere close to that set up, mesa boogies aren't something many 17 year old students have lying around, but this is information i'll keep with me forever haha.

And I'm not anxiously waiting for those dominion pick ups, I'm gonna save up and get a set in my guitar as soon as possible.

(In a slightly off topic question, the MXR-10 band EQ... worth the extra £40 over the 6 band? 8KHz and 16KHz seem relatively pointless... the only main bonus I see is that the 10 band has a control over the 2KHz region: the closest on the 6 band is 3.2KHz. - is it worth £40 more to have the 2KHz control?)
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
Quote by Into Exile
I'm not even joking when I ask: Can I print that out? you just changed my life haha... I have a friend who would love to read that.

I deleted my twitter because of randy blythe actually, lmao - the man goes on and on and on and on AND ON, over 6 tweets 140 characters at a time; never even thought to follow the Morton.

I may set up some for of twitter-link to my facebook and only follow him, so I can regularly keep an eye out for what hes using, working on.. who he's working with and who hes sleeping with.

Thanks mate, It'll be a long time till I can get anywhere close to that set up, mesa boogies aren't something many 17 year old students have lying around, but this is information i'll keep with me forever haha.

And I'm not anxiously waiting for those dominion pick ups, I'm gonna save up and get a set in my guitar as soon as possible.

(In a slightly off topic question, the MXR-10 band EQ... worth the extra £40 over the 6 band? 8KHz and 16KHz seem relatively pointless... the only main bonus I see is that the 10 band has a control over the 2KHz region: the closest on the 6 band is 3.2KHz. - is it worth £40 more to have the 2KHz control?)

Haha Randy's tweets can get excessive. And yes, as a fellow 17 year old, it'll be a while before I get my hands on a Boogie.

Honestly, I wouldn't know about the EQ. I had the extra cash, so I went all out and bought the 10. The biggest and best difference between them is the Volume and Gain functions. The 6 is just an EQ pedal, but the 10 can be used to boost leads. IMO, it's worth the extra bucks but it's up to you and how you'll use it.

Happy purchasing

He will be missed.
It's really all in the mark IV. Anything else you do gearwise won't matter unless you have a Mark IV. His tone is one of those tones that just cannot be replicated without using the amp he uses.

So start saving your pennies
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Sweet. While the 6505+ combo is a very different sound to boogies, I'm suddenly inclined to want every thing he has... would it be too much, or pointless to sell my tubescreamer and buy the MXR version. I do like MXR pedals, do you know how different they are?

And to the last guy: Don't kill my dreams! I'm going to be bankrupt for the next 3 years, then £50,000 in debt for the rest of life because of it! Don't tell me to save my bloody pennies!
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
Last edited by Into Exile at Apr 10, 2012,
lower your gain. he doesnt use very much and more than likely has his mids higher than his treble. and more bass
Quote by Into Exile
Sweet. While the 6505+ combo is a very different sound to boogies, I'm suddenly inclined to want every thing he has... would it be too much, or pointless to sell my tubescreamer and buy the MXR version. I do like MXR pedals, do you know how different they are?

And to the last guy: Don't kill my dreams! I'm going to be bankrupt for the next 3 years, then £50,000 in debt for the rest of life because of it! Don't tell me to save my bloody pennies!

Well, I bought a GT-OD early this year to give it a try. I ended up returning it because I found out I paid way too much money for it. I do, however, intend on getting it eventually. I use my Hardwire to boost both rhythms and leads for Lamb of God. The Hardwire was much better as a rhythm boost by far - it was just better at tightening my sound up. As for leads, though, the GT-OD was amazing. Very harmonically rich. I just sounded better playing it. Managed to somehow boost your tone, harmonically, not in terms for gain. The gain increased, sure, but it wasn't excessive. Overall, it's a great pedal. I still want to experiment with others, but if all else fails, I could be satisfied with it.

Now should you sell your TubeScreamer for it? I don't know man, it's your call. I would honestly just save up for the MXR, and if you find that it completely demolishes your TS, THEN you can sell it.

He will be missed.
Theres a whole different side to this discussion that I think should be brought up....

Mark Morton sounds like Mark Morton. His selection of gear is what he likes. he has probably owned hundreds of different pedals, heads, rack units, guitars pickups, picks, strings and even learned a certain way to play that is his and his alone.

Likewise, LoG's recorded output sounds like it does because of lots of hours of recording engineers setting up gear in a studio environment and recording it on expensive recording equipment with more outboard effects than you can shake a stick at. Its also mixed and mastered to create that sound.

Live, LoG sound like they do because they have a live sound engineer that can get a good approximation of their sound through the house PA.

The thing is, you can chase that tone for years by buying gear, selling it to buy something else and generally end up no closer to his sound that you ever were before, and you will still be in the same position you are now and still be looking for how to get that sound. You may get close to it, but you will never get "That" tone because half of the sound that comes out of his gear is his playing.

I am all for learning a certain guys style, or even learning how to use gear to get a certain sort of sound, but the moment you spend money on it, theres this argument that you end up playing someone elses gear with their name on it and waste important time that you could be spending defining your own style.

All the greats have their influences, but they define their own sound and create their own tone. By all means, ask questions and learn as much as you can, but dont get caught in the trap of thinking that "If I get that head/guitar/pickup, it will make me sound like X" because it doesnt.

Be yourself. You will get further quicker!
Oh, I'm all for being myself, the whole point of this thread was to understand what he does + how he achieves it, in which to attempt to incorporate aspects of that into my own rig - I never actually said I was chasing tone!

If the popular opinion had been that (for example) his pick ups largely contributed to the unique-ness of his tone, then that would have been a route I'd look further into, and see what its like, reflected on my own set up, and how that develops my tone.

Sadly, yet brilliantly, it wasn't as simple as that, and there are apparently a myriad different reasons - but I digress, I absolutely agree that you should find your own sound, this was just my way of accumulating new ideas to try.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
^+1 (uh... edit: not you, the other guy preaching individuality)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 10, 2012,
I don't know if its been mentioned yet, but his pickups are definitely out. I have a set in one of my guitars. If you're after his tone, I'd definitely pick up (lol) a set of them. Not only are they absolutely fantastic pickups, but that gets you one step closer to his tone. Not exact mind you, but a bit closer as far as the little nuances go.

EDIT: BTW, I'm not recommending you get them to GET his tone; while it does get you close-ish, its not going to get you there because you're not him. I WILL, however, recommend them because they are abso****inglutely amazing. So go and get a set.

Right now.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at Apr 10, 2012,
Quote by larrytheguitar
As a Morton fanatic, I may be able to help here...

For one, it depends on what era of LoG. AtPB, AotW, and Sacrament all had some extensive post processing done. Wrath and Resolution are more accurate representations of their tone - they just stuck a SM57 in front of the amp and did nothing afterwards. So I'm gonna be talking about the tone from their two most recent albums.

Mark used a Mesa Mark IV for the majority of his career until recently. Being one of the biggest and most famous Mesa Boogie endorsers has it's perks; Whenever Mesa comes up with a new product, they send one to him free of charge. When Mark received the Royal Atlantic, he fell in love. Willie, I believe, still uses the Mark series (either IV or V). All rhythms on Wrath and Resolution are Mark IV, no doubt about it. The leads on Resolution are all Royal Atlantic. If you listen to the solos in Grace and Ghost Walking, you should hear a difference in tone. Note that Ghost Walking does have a large mid boost, but the overall tone of the notes is thicker, more British sounding, ie more Royal Atlantic. He did a video with Mesa with his new Royal Atlantic where he actually played the rhythms on it. You should notice that the tone is much different from the record, with more bass and warmth. I think this is partially due to an awkward mic placement on Mesa's part, but still. If you haven't seen the video, boom. They even show his settings, but again, his didn't originally record rhythms with the RA.

Although his Dominion does come with Duncan '59s in the store, those are not what he uses. For the past two or three years, he's been working with Dimarzio in developing a signature pickup. It's basically a Dimarzio Breed with more crunch and mids. The pickups are completed and I've heard great things, but I don't think they're available for purchase at the moment. They're called Dimarzio Dominion's, look em up.

Keep in mind that he doesn't always use a Dominion when recording. The entirety of Sacrament rhythms was recorded with his favorite guitar, an old Gibson Goldtop (I think 56 or 57...). On Wrath and Resolution, the guitars vary. All I know for sure is that the cleans on King Me are from a telecaster, and that he recorded all solos in Resolution on a Soloist.

He doesn't use many pedals. He's used an MXR GT-OD in the past for boosting his lead, but lately he's been into the Way Huge Green Rhino. I have no idea if he uses that live. His wah varies from a standard Crybaby to the Jerry Cantrell signature. His delay is an MXR Carbon Copy. He uses the MXR Van Halen phaser every now and then for solos. It's a really subtle effect, I doubt you'll need one. His noise gate is in his rack, I believe.

Overall, get a mahogany guitar, slap on a Dimarzio Breed (or a Dominion when they come out), buy and overdrive and EQ pedal, and you're good. I use a Blackstar HT-5 and with my Digitech Hardwire CM-2 OD and MXR 10-band EQ, I can get pretty close to his tone.

Hope that helps. If all else fails, remember to lower the gain, but boost the volume and mids.

EDIT: I know all this "insider information" by following him on twitter. He talks about gear quite often, but don't answer many questions that have been asked before, so I'm not sure if he'll reply if you ask him about gear... But anyways, here's his twitter.

EDIT: More information!

Mark definitely loves blues, thus his guitar has coil splitters. If you want to hear the Royal Atlantic on metal/bluesy rhythms, he recorded a couple songs with Dez of DevilDriver. Check it out, this is pure RA

Definitely pure RA, I have that amp and I just LOVE IT.

Btw, wow! That's some serious info dude, I'm pretty sure this is really helpful for a lot of us. Thank you.

I didn't know Born of the Storm exists! Sounds amazing, more my style than LoG for sure!!! AWESOME, THANKS AGAIN!

Edit: Too bad Born of the Storm is that the collaboration is “purely for fun” and no official record release is set to take place.

http://loudwire.com/lamb-of-god-devildriver-members-form-born-of-the-storm/

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 10, 2012,
i got out of metal playing for a while and broadened my horizons, but i have seen them three times between Ashes of the Wake and Sacrament. i met some of them and got a poster signed. they were all Mesa's all three times.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
FWIW, Mesa doesn't give any amps away for free. Mark pays for every Boogie he uses, if that says anything. The MKIV is one of the best metal amps ever if you dig a super tight, cutting tone. I think I remember him saying that he switched to the MKV because Mesa asked him too but that he didn't really like it as much. But then he got the Royal Atlantic and supposedly loves it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Digideus

The thing is, you can chase that tone for years by buying gear, selling it to buy something else and generally end up no closer to his sound that you ever were before, and you will still be in the same position you are now and still be looking for how to get that sound. You may get close to it, but you will never get "That" tone because half of the sound that comes out of his gear is his playing.

I am all for learning a certain guys style, or even learning how to use gear to get a certain sort of sound, but the moment you spend money on it, theres this argument that you end up playing someone elses gear with their name on it and waste important time that you could be spending defining your own style.

I disagree. It is very possible to nail someones tone, even if you don't play like them. It's very possible to sound just like someone else, without playing the things they play.

The using someone else's gear thing is not applicable at all here. Only very recently has Mark gotten any sig gear, and even still, he doesn't have any sig amps, which is what really counts when it comes to tone.

In fact, I'd venture to say that very few, if any "great" tones have been created using sig gear. So there isn't a whole lot of basis to the argument that using sig gear does anything towards emulating anything.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X