Hello

I have this severe confusion on what headphones to get to Monitor My guitar playing using VST and amps. Also i would want them to be Flat so i can use them for mixing and General Studio Use ,Vocals,Drums but mostly guitar.

I will appreciate a lot any suggestions.
LTD H-101
Ibanez RGT42DX with emgs
Gibson SG standard
Limited edition Schecter omen 7
Custom RR V with emgs 81/85,24 frets and floyd.

Peavey 6505+
and a roland cube 20x :
Avoid the ones sold by Dr Beats and other gimmicky, overpriced headphones. The quality isn't that great to begin with and all you're paying for is that name.

Sennheiser makes some decent headphones. I prefer the "on ear" type, since the "over the ear" type seem to accentuate the bass. Even as I've suggested the on-ear type for you, I have a pair of Bose and Altec Lansing over-the-ear types here. However, I don't use them for critical listening/mixing. I use a pair of passive studio monitors for that.

Ideally, it's best to use studio monitors.
Quote by Andalus
There are no "best" headphones for studio use. Just like there are no "best" monitors. BUT. Have a look at these:

http://www.dv247.com/headphones/beyerdynamic-dt-100-studio-headphones-grey-400-ohm--5010

Personally, I'd probably use them for recording tracks, but not for any kind of mixing or mastering. I use my over-the-ear headphones for tracking, but never anything more than that.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Personally, I'd probably use them for recording tracks, but not for any kind of mixing or mastering. I use my over-the-ear headphones for tracking, but never anything more than that.

They're brilliant for mixing. Not better than monitors, but still. Have you tried them? Give them a go if you can.
Last edited by Andalus at Apr 10, 2012,
AKG K-271 MKII
Beyerdynamic DT-770
Audio Technica ATH-M50S

These are great headphones, all priced around 150€, you won't regret to buy any one of these.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
Thanks for the help guys.

Previous to posting my main inclinations where the shure SRH840 and the Audio Technica M50s.

A good friend suggested the AKG 271 MK 2 but i herd on various reviews that its lacking on bass.

any further information that you guys would like to share. as in comparison these 2 models i listed and how they rack up against the suggestions

I am currently using some Koss UR/29 heaphones which are sorta cheapo.

i have a budget to about 250 USD or so.
LTD H-101
Ibanez RGT42DX with emgs
Gibson SG standard

Peavey 6505+
and a roland cube 20x :
Last edited by airslashfury at Apr 10, 2012,
Well, I don't mix on headphones and never would, but I highly-recommend the Beyer DT-100's against all other headphones for tracking... built like a tank, and last for eternity. You can also crank them loud if need's be (drummers/other deaf musicians that want the click/monitor mix louder than you'd advise but leave to their own devices) and give a solid balance.

If you want to mix with headphones, I'd argue that the best mixing headphones are open-backed... and that's the opposite of what you want for tracking, as open-backed headphones will give a lot more bleed into vocal tracks, and are also much more prone to feedback.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Get some shitty headphones you don't blowing up for monitoring during recording. Get some Senheiser or Beyer-DT100s for mixing (although I have never really mixed with headphones).
Quote by Andalus
They're brilliant for mixing. Not better than monitors, but still. Have you tried them? Give them a go if you can.

A headphone like that will highlight the bass. That's the last thing you want for that purpose. If I ever need a pair of them for tracking, I'll give 'em a go.

I use a set of JBL Control 5 monitors, driven with a Crown D-75A amp. That's a marriage made in heaven.
Between the Beyer DT770 , Audio Technica M-50s and the shure SRH840 which one would you gentlemen would recommend
LTD H-101
Ibanez RGT42DX with emgs
Gibson SG standard

Peavey 6505+
and a roland cube 20x :
I am sort of leaning to the shure but i am put off a bit by the fact they are made in china. any suggestion on non chinese headphones ?
LTD H-101
Ibanez RGT42DX with emgs
Gibson SG standard

Peavey 6505+
and a roland cube 20x :
I Ordered a SRH840 but it got cancelled after 4 days of waiting. so any last suggestions before i reorder them ?
LTD H-101
Ibanez RGT42DX with emgs
Gibson SG standard

Peavey 6505+
and a roland cube 20x :