Hey, I've been looking at getting a MXR M173 BC 108 fuzz box to help get that cool 60's psychedelic sound ive been after, but I hear they dont really mix well with solid state amps, which are the only kind I have right now (A Peavey Bandit and an old Marshall 3005).

So, is there any truth to this? And also, does anyone have any suggestions for amps (preferably ~$500-$600) that might work better in achieving the psychedelic sound? (Country Joe and the Fish, Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd etc.)?

Thanks for the help
Quote by AICfreak
avoid where wesman is...unless you like surprise anal <_<......

just jks

no srsly....avoid.

Quote by the bartender
yea I was pretty shocked the when I shot my first one, but I kinda started to like the smell of freshly killed underage girls
To be fair guitars don't go well with solid state amps loljk

For that kind of money you could pick up a used Hot Rod Deluxe,Peavey Classic 30, or Blues Junior. All are fairly well known to take well to dirt pedals and sound good for the money. Most solid states generally get harsher when faced with pedals and i would suggest a new amp as a good investment.
Solid state amps and fuzzboxes go fine together. The only difference is that you can't boost it like a tube amp, so the level knob on the pedal should be used conservatively.

HRD and classic 30 are good choices for the budget. Not a fan of the blues junior, but I seem to be alone on that one.
I thought solid state amps were fuzz boxes.

Try to hunt down an old Fender Twin, TS.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by &baconstrips
Solid state amps and fuzzboxes go fine together. The only difference is that you can't boost it like a tube amp, so the level knob on the pedal should be used conservatively.

HRD and classic 30 are good choices for the budget. Not a fan of the blues junior, but I seem to be alone on that one.

I'm actually with you on that one. I just recommended it because most people do tend to like them. Personally i find them pretty harsh and boxy sounding
Quote by Cathbard
I thought solid state amps were fuzz boxes.

Try to hunt down an old Fender Twin, TS.

my HH IC100 head is one of my favourite fuzzboxes

i think fuzz pedals can have a bit of a harsh edge to the sound unless you've got just a little bit of tube compression and saturation to round off that edge. same goes for distortion pedals, too. although, some of the classic fuzz tones you hear like the rolling stones 'satisfaction' tone, that's definitely got that edge to it...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by redandwhite12
I'm actually with you on that one. I just recommended it because most people do tend to like them. Personally i find them pretty harsh and boxy sounding

IMO the pro jr is better, way less thin sounding to my ears. the fact that it has 2 knobs probably puts off a lot of people, but 2 knob amps are bomb.
I see Hot Rod Deluxe's for $300-350 all the time. Though you still might want a fuzz to go along with it.
I'm not sure if this will help, but you could probably get a really good modeling amp like the Peavey Vypyr that has fuzz as a built in effect, but other than that, I agree that a Fender Twin Reverb would be a good amp for pedals.

The cheapest in my area is $680 used.
DBZ Bird of Prey Sepulchre
Diamond Nitrox Head
Diamond Nitrox 4x12 Cabinet
Last edited by dspari1 at Apr 12, 2012,