Just curious what Mics y'all are using in your live set up. I've gotten left out a couple times and am thinking about picking one up so that there's no excuse.

I know Shure SM57, 58 are pretty much industry standards, but are there others you prefer?

I'm playing a schecter c1 e/a semi hollow through a crate Vintage Club 50 3x10 if it matters.

Thanks guys!
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
Last edited by bpdeem at Apr 10, 2012,
I can't see a reason to ever use anything but an SM57.

It's cheap. It's industry standard. It's beautiful. It's well-known. It's trustworthy. It's durable.

SM58 is great for vocals for the same reasons, except it's not as bigged up as much and it's no where near as durable (One fell off my lap at college once and I dented it, can you believe it..)

Just get a 57. It's like £130, and it will stand up to whatever you give it. - Also take the time, if you have a tube amp, to find a sweet spot with your tubes, if it sounds best at 4/5/6, and gigs are demanding you to put it at 7/8 - you can dial it back to that sweet spot and just get matey behind the desk to push you up abit more.

And for the record; incase you didn't know: Point it 1/2 inches from the grill, over one of the cones. The closer to the centre of the cone, the brighter the sound - give or take. You should be happy with the results.

- Get down on your hands and knees while your buddy plays your guitar, and find out which of your speakers (If you have more than one) sounds the nicest... most likely you wont notice a difference, I usually can't - but its good practice - and obviously mic up the best one.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Last edited by Into Exile at Apr 10, 2012,
^ It's real hard to use an SM57 to mic up a whole room, for example... and I find it real hard to use an SM57 to mic up an acoustic guitar. I'm thinking I would prefer a condenser for acoustic.

As well, I don't really like my SM57 for situations where I don't have a lot of volume going into it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Apr 10, 2012,
I use an sm57 or two. If I had the money I'd be using an MD421 as well. If I had even more money; I'd love a royer 121 on top of all that... And so on.

Assuming this is for rock/metal I'd say an sm57 is the way to go.
RIP Gooze

cats
Thanks guys!

Well the VC50 is pretty damn loud no matter how I have it set. Now that its working again, I realize why a lot of guys don't like master volumes... its either loud or not, not much difference after you get it past a certain point.

I play a lot of blues and alternative rock: SRV, Hendrix, John Mayer, John Frusciante, Incubus, Chili Peppers... My band does more Coldplay, DMB, Counting Crows. A lot of mellow stuff.

Its definitely an electric. Has a pair of Duncan 108 buckers I believe and a Piezo acoustic pickup as well. We used condensers for all our studio acoustic stuff. This is mainly for live stuff. They're always telling me to turn down, but if I'm not mic'ed and I turn down what's the point in me even being on stage, right?
ΦΚΣ

SM 57 has been my amp mic for 30 years...

Industry standard for a reason...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/gear-one-dri100-buy-one-get-two-free/h79029000000000

These. GearOne DRI100's.

And theyre surprisingly good, placed right they compete with the SM57, for... half the price. (Or if you got the 3 for 1 special, way less than that)

I can't comment on the durability, I havent had them too long, but sound-wise theyre excellent bang for the buck.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
I use a relatively high end condenser mic for everything right now, though it's USB. It's about as high end as a USB mic can get

I'll probably end up picking up a 57 for guitar soon though. Not sure what to pick up for vocals.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
All my Shures have mysteriously gone missing. However my favourite vocals mike wasn't one of the Shures anyway. It is an AKG D3700 which is basically AKG's take on an SM58 beta. Luckily I still have that one.
Miking up the amp I normally used a Peavey PVM45. I had Shure SM57's laying around when I was gigging but the Peavey was the mike that usually ended up on my amp.

It's quite surprising the difference between different mikes even of the same make and model, sometimes you just get a good one. My singer's favourite mike was one of the SM57's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
SM57 and Senn e609. I like the e609 better. Haven't done a lot of experimenting with high end mics yet.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
High end mikes at a gig is pearls before swine. You want robust, not high fidelity.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Audix...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Cathbard
High end mikes at a gig is pearls before swine. You want robust, not high fidelity.

Of course. I mean for home cork sniffery.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Since the only looking I have EVER done was in passing at a Guitar Center I figured it was more than worth asking. Sounds like "industry standard for a reason" will win out, likely without thinking. Thanks guys!
ΦΚΣ

can't really go wrong with the 57.

I use that for electric and an Audio Technica 4050 for everything else.
Quote by ma_tt11
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/gear-one-dri100-buy-one-get-two-free/h79029000000000

These. GearOne DRI100's.

And theyre surprisingly good, placed right they compete with the SM57, for... half the price. (Or if you got the 3 for 1 special, way less than that)

I can't comment on the durability, I havent had them too long, but sound-wise theyre excellent bang for the buck.
3 for 1? Not that I need anymore than one, but I'm gonna look into those.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by mmolteratx
SM57 and Senn e609. I like the e609 better. Haven't done a lot of experimenting with high end mics yet.

+1

the e609 or the e909 are beautiful on guitars. they are my go-to mics but if they arent available then its all about the 57
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by mmolteratx
Of course. I mean for home cork sniffery.

Well, the thread was about live use.

I'd like a Neuman U87 myself, I even know somebody that mods them to perfection. But you'd have to be off ya nut to drag a U87 around to a gig - wrong mike for the job anyway. I've had shitty old Shures stolen, how long do you think a U87 would last? Even people that know nothing can see it's something very expensive.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You might be interested to know I've had some fantastic quality saxophone and trumpet recordings using an SM57!

So there you go.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
You can. But seriously, if you did it again with a Neuman U87 your jaw would hit the ground. It's hard to imagine the difference until you've actually used one. After that everything else sounds like shit. Vocals are where it make the biggest difference though.
Vocals through an SM58 compared to U87 is unbelievable. You'd swear you'd replaced the cartridge in the Shure with something from Toys'R'Us.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well. An SM58 is roughly £80

The U87 is barely shy of 2 Gs, for that kind of difference - I would expect nothing less.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
Quote by Emperor's Child
3 for 1? Not that I need anymore than one, but I'm gonna look into those.

Hey man, theyre actually not bad - theres a youtube video of a guy shooting one out against an SM57, and it holds up well. In person it's just as good though - my band uses these for micing our amps.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
I've used some bad mics before, so I'm always leary of the cheapo packs. I went through about 4 utter crap mics before finally biting the bullet and buying a beta 58 for vocals. Wish I had bought the good mic to begin with, it would have saved me about $250.

As far as cab miking, instruments, etc, it's hard to beat the SM57 for the price you pay. And there's usually a lot of them floating around the used market too. Shure mics are tough as hell, so don't be too worried about buying used. I could probably drive a nail with my -58 and it would still work like a champ.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by ma_tt11
Hey man, theyre actually not bad - theres a youtube video of a guy shooting one out against an SM57, and it holds up well. In person it's just as good though - my band uses these for micing our amps.
Link? I can't seem to find it.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Link? I can't seem to find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4SmM61km44

When placed right, its really not bad. I like em
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by Into Exile
Well. An SM58 is roughly £80

The U87 is barely shy of 2 Gs, for that kind of difference - I would expect nothing less.

Indeed. And there actually is $2K of difference - but you'd never pick it at a gig. At a gig it would feedback incessantly anyway, it would be all wrong. At a gig you want a near field mike like an SM57/58 that you can use to beat roadies into a bloody pulp and still use it afterwards.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I wasn't the one who suggested it buddy! I am aware that a condenser mic that powerful would go nutty.

I bet it's omnidirectional aswell, You'd need a pretty decent reason to use anything but (super) cardioid.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
Quote by Into Exile
I wasn't the one who suggested it buddy! I am aware that a condenser mic that powerful would go nutty.

I bet it's omnidirectional aswell, You'd need a pretty decent reason to use anything but (super) cardioid.

Follow the whole conversation. Matt started talking about top end studio mikes so of course I mentioned the U87. I never suggested a U87 for stage work. Go back and read the entire thread.

Iirc it's switchable between a few modes but none of them are particularly suited to live work. Been a long time since I used one tbh.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification