You ever feel like after you learn how to cover a song it isn't as cool to listen to from then on? It's like, by learning it, it isn't as moving to listen to anymore. It's like if you know how a magic trick is done it isn't impressive anymore. LOL IDK. Normally if I hear something cool by Paul Gilbert or Greg Howe I have to learn it right away. But not with this one. This is probably my all time favorite track by Shawn Lane. It wouldn't be the fastest or hardest cover to learn but I like it too much to learn it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbAdy4Dk1y4
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. It ruins the mystery, almost. I've stopped trying to learn songs I like now. Unless it's by ear, anyway.
Quote by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.
I can't say I agree. I feel that, when I learn to play a song, it means even more to me. It allows me to put my own stamp on a piece that touched me. When I learned Satriani's 'Rubina,' the song that made me fall in love with his music, I felt like I was a part of the song when I played it. It allowed me to connect with the song on a deeper level.
That may just be me though.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by kumamilesbear
I can't say I agree. I feel that, when I learn to play a song, it means even more to me. It allows me to put my own stamp on a piece that touched me. When I learned Satriani's 'Rubina,' the song that made me fall in love with his music, I felt like I was a part of the song when I played it. It allowed me to connect with the song on a deeper level.
That may just be me though.

I'm the same way, plus it allows you to focus on whatever part you want to easier, making for interesting listening experiences
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
I also feel the same way. There are many songs that I don't want to learn because I'm afraid it will ruin the awe that I get when I listen to it. I've learned many songs that I once liked a lot and they almost became annoying to listen to because of how used to the song I am. I am so tempted to learn Aces High and I know I could do it in an hour, but I almost know I wont like the song anymore after I listen to it.
Well to be honest if a song is truly good then it won't need that shock value or mystery the music will stand for itself. I often feel its reasons like that that make people "love" one band a minute then go on to another and denounce the old band because it isn't new anymore.
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
I feel that sometimes it can even enrich the listening experience when I try to listen to a certain part that I saw on the tab that I didn't give any attention before, for example.
Quote by troyofyort
Well to be honest if a song is truly good then it won't need that shock value or mystery the music will stand for itself. I often feel its reasons like that that make people "love" one band a minute then go on to another and denounce the old band because it isn't new anymore.

Definitely some truth to this as well. I'm sure if I did learn The Way it Has To Be by Shawn Lane I'd still love it. It's such a masterpiece it'll always be great no matter what.
Last edited by X-plorer88 at Apr 11, 2012,
Before I learned Seek and Destroy, it was one of the most beautiful guitar pieces ever to me, now I look at it from a whole new angle, as a technical perfection, so simple (because I know every note there is to know from it), yet so effective and uplifting. When you learn all the tricks of it, it kinda makes you wonder "how didn't I think of such a song?"
Quote by Casull454
Before I learned Seek and Destroy, it was one of the most beautiful guitar pieces ever to me, now I look at it from a whole new angle, as a technical perfection, so simple (because I know every note there is to know from it), yet so effective and uplifting. When you learn all the tricks of it, it kinda makes you wonder "how didn't I think of such a song?"

I kind of feel the same way. When I would make a riff I would over complicate it. Riffs like Icarus Lives by Periphery are so simple to play but they just sound so amazing. Sometimes simplicity is better
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
yea once i learn a song i cant listen to it the same again :/
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. I don't know hoe Petrucci memorizes all of his parts to that song, let alone the full DT catalog.