I am thinking of a getting anew guitar and posted a thread the other day. I went to mu local Music store and was talking with the guy that works there. He was showing me a few things and I noticed there were a lot of charvels on the wall. would anyone reccomend charvels or an specific ones? It would be mostly used for stuff like metal. Maybe tool and other things like that.
Buy an old MIJ Charvel on Craigslist. It’ll be a better guitar and probably won’t cost much.
i'm a fan of the new charvel stuff. sam ash has some in stock that priced dropped a lot so shop around when you find out what model you want.

i agree with jpnyc though as well, the old ones can be had cheap on the used market and are a good value.
The old Charvel by Jackson are classic shred/80s metal guitars. I love them. I have an 86 model 4.
I personally cannot recommend an 80's MIJ Model 4. Especially the ones with the Floyds.

Stock, at least. They're great for modification, and have excellent fretboards though I always found the original neck on mine too thin for my tastes, and the bridge pickup was HORRID. No life in it whatsoever.

I suggest checking out the Wild Card series. I own the Dead Calm Aqua one. It truly is one of the greatest guitars I think I've ever played. Extremely comfortable, beautiful finish, and amazing fretboard. Their discontinued but i've seen some on eBay for good prices.
Look for the San Dimas and Pro Mod ones. They're MIA and it's a bit easier to find one of them than an older MIJ model in similar condition.

The new Desolation ones are MIC - they're neck-through which is nice if you are a spec sheet *****, but ultimately they're just yet more guitars to add to the massive pile of generic, sub-par MIC guitars.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
hey Ian, I have the first year of Model 4, which has Kahler trem in it.
like you said, I love the neck. I am not a fan of active pickups but they are well built and plays well. It served me well for many years and still going strong. I also love the 3 isolated switches for the pickups.
Quote by MrFlibble
Look for the San Dimas and Pro Mod ones. They're MIA and it's a bit easier to find one of them than an older MIJ model in similar condition.

The new Desolation ones are MIC - they're neck-through which is nice if you are a spec sheet *****, but ultimately they're just yet more guitars to add to the massive pile of generic, sub-par MIC guitars.

Not all of the Pro Mods are MIA. For the last couple of years, they've been MIJ instead.

I don't know what's going to happen to them now, since Chushin Gakki has shut down.
Huh. I thought they were all MIA. Eh well, MIA or MIJ, 's about the same quality.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Huh. I thought they were all MIA. Eh well, MIA or MIJ, 's about the same quality.

Yeah, they switched them to Japan a couple of years back. Kept the price about the same, but threw in a hardcase.

From what I've heard, they were just about as good as the American ones. I'd love to pick up a So-Cal sometime, but I didn't ought to be spending the money right now.