Ok, I've been practicing a well known classic rock tune that has a D chord where you hammer-on and pull-off of the 6th note to make it a D6 (sorta).

I'm having trouble hammering on with my pinky in this open D (down-tuned a whole-step playing the open "E").

I have no trouble getting the pinky to hammer-on and pull-off normally when doing a legato run. Nice full volume stuff there. But getting it to do it while holding a chord is another thing all together. I know I'm going to practice this till i get it it right. But I want to know what the proper "technique" is here for such a thing. Playing position and everything. Thumb up or classic proper? etc.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Hey I am not quite sure what you are talking about exactly, (I don't know the fingering of D6), but if you don't get any other better answers, then possibly just practicing it will get you better at it (unless there is something technically wrong with what you are doing or say your guitar frets are too small for your fingers or something like that).

Good luck
What string is the hammer-on, on? I'm just trying to think of where you hammer-on to the B.... is it like this:

e|-2---|
B|-3---|
G|-2h4-|
D|-0---|
A|-----|
E|-----|
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
He said its tuned down a whole step and playing an E major shape so the hammer on would be 0h2 on the G string with the pinky. Don't really have any advice other than practice it.
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
ah, hammering onto the (down-tuned to) A string (in standard tuning its the B string - treble side)

It's

-O-----
-Oh2pO-
-1-----
-2-----
-2-----
-O-----

The volume of my hammer-on, and thus the pull-off suffers too, is so quite as to be practicly muted when compared to the strummed and still ringing D chord.... I can hear it somewhat, but it's WAY down in volume. Is my pinky that weak or what? I mean normal legato is fine.

The song is CCR's classic Bad Moon Rising.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Apr 11, 2012,
Quote by Justin_43130
He said its tuned down a whole step and playing an E major shape so the hammer on would be 0h2 on the G string with the pinky. Don't really have any advice other than practice it.

sorry missed that part, for some reason I thought he said he was playing the Dmajor shape not the Emajor. so then TS don't pay any attention to my other post

and listen to everyone else and just practice.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by Justin_43130

This. Except it's the B string, not the G. Just make sure you hammer-on as close to the fret as possible.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Last edited by Junior#1 at Apr 11, 2012,
Quote by Junior#1
This. Just make sure you hammer-on as close to the fret as possible.

Cool. Will do. In a bit more practice just now, I found that if I pull my 2nd fret fingers back away from the fret some it allows easier hammering onto with my pinky. Is this improper technique? I mean it does make it easier, but am I "doing it wrong in order to make it easier"?

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
make sure your thumb is pretty much in the middle of the neck. i see a lot of students who throw their thumb over the top of the neck and use their palm to hold the neck. this significantly cuts down on the power of the outer fingers because it bends the tendons, leaving little left to bend.

less like this
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_A7AOifVNNwo/THia_jAJ9JI/AAAAAAAAAK4/2v01CET6opM/s1600/guitar-e-major-chord.jpg

and more like this
http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/18648199/2/stock-photo-18648199-electric-guitar-lesson-e-major-chord.jpg

if youre doing it right already, all thats left to do is work on pinky strength. get one of those finger exercisers.
Heh, I have both proper thumb position then, and already have the finger exerciser. Just need to find that thing. Haven't seen it in the 2 years since I moved...

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
Cool. Will do. In a bit more practice just now, I found that if I pull my 2nd fret fingers back away from the fret some it allows easier hammering onto with my pinky. Is this improper technique? I mean it does make it easier, but am I "doing it wrong in order to make it easier"?

it would be easier to tell with a video
Quote by Dirk Gently
Also, is there a reason your playing it down a step? Because i think Bad Moon Rising is in E standard, and that would probably make it easier to play because you could play a D and just pick up your middle finger and make it a D6
In watching various videos round the web, reading up n what not, they played 2 guitars, one in standard and one down-tuned a whole-step. For this song, the down-tuned one is playing the part I'm learning. Also, it's the closest to the original sound when I compare it for myself. Playing in standard tuning and playing the standard open D, it's just not right in the sound department. Thus I've come to the conclusion that it's this or nothing

Regardless of tuning, you can see the fingering here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2w5kffJnq8

straight from Fogerty!

There's also a hal-lenard series of books/videos that shows you how to play it, and gives an in depth look at CCR's tone, sortta.... though they don't give the proper chord names n such LOL... They just show the shape names.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Is the tab for this indicating that it's a hammer-on? It sounds like he's just strumming it from that video. So no need to hammer down hard, just fret it gently, like normal.

Incidentally, if you want to nail it as a technique in itself, then make an exercise out of it by doing a trill with the little finger.
Trill? Hmmm... Will do, that is, when I can get it to sound off at a decent volume at the least.

That's my major problem is volume. The technique seems right, it's just not getting any volume due to an apparent lack of strength in that particular playing position.

It seems that it is easier to use the fingers when they are all lined up properly, but when you throw a chord shape in there it messes with the alignment of things. This really makes using the last two fingers harder eh?

At least for me. Can't wait to order that GripMaster (wish I could find the one I currently own lol).

And even in that video, watch his pinky .

Yea it's there. the hal lenard series sais it's so, so I want to master it. I just need to practice and use that gripmaster. Wish I could find the one I have... dangit where is it! LMAO... (goes slightly mad, one card short of a deck, a screw missing, while looking for for it.... some say I've become a banana tree! ) (F. Mercury allusion )

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Ok, just did an uber-breakdown of the left hand vs right hand technique and such... found myself doing a great job of holding the pinky as close to the fret as possible. Great technique, usually. Here it seems that's what was preventing the initial sound off, as indeed my pinky is too weak in that position and in general. I can do legato well enough, but upon further research I'm lacking seriously in pinky! All areas of pinky. I thought I had it loud enough, but overdrive REALLY oversold my ability here lol... even having any amplification was overselling. I just unplugged and played my electric acoustically, and viola! I have a weak as hell pinky! Seems even clean my "amp" was overdoing it! ( play through my computer then to the amp via Line 6 guitar port xt... it's over sensitive I guess lol)

Well, I'm working on pinky strength, and position. But for now pulling back like the hammer on a gun is a good way to go, right? I mean I'll eventually get it closer again, but I'm thinking it's a good idea for now to work my way up to being closer. And in hammering it like this (I'm thinking around 1/2 a centimeter in total distance pinky tip to string), will I gain strength for that close to string hammer-on?

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Apr 12, 2012,