So im looking to get a strat with a maple fretboard for less than 400. I was thinking about an Agile (not sx) strat. There's a lot of talk about the LPs from rondo around here, but any word on the strat models? Is the wilkinson trem any good?

Any other sub $400 suggestions? i would prefer a nice cherry or sunburst, but white is acceptable too.

Thanks a bunch!
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
Try looking on CL for used. I got a 06 MiM strat with a maple board from CL and its mint condition. You can find mim strats for around $250 to $350
Like others have said, and MIM strat is probably going to be your best option. They are killer guitars and pretty cheap too. I see them around here from anywhere around $250 to $450.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I am quite firm on the maple fretboard, and the only used one around here is in an incredibly ugly metallic blue finish. Otherwise I would snatch that up.
Anyone know how to spot a MIM guitar from its name?

So for example this is the drop down list on the side of the strats on the fender site:

American Deluxe (5)
American Special (2)
American Standard (3)
American Vintage (3)
Artist (17)
Blacktop™ (3)
Classic (3)
Classic Player (2)
Deluxe (4)
Fender® Select (2)
Highway One™ (1)
Modern Player (1)
Pawn Shop Series (2)
Road Worn™ (4)
Standard (4)
Vintage Hot Rod (2)
Roland® V-Guitar (2)
"Which road do I take"? she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" was his response.
"I don't know", Alice answered.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
Where are Squiers made?
"Which road do I take"? she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" was his response.
"I don't know", Alice answered.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
For under $400.00, you can get a Squier Classic Vibe Strat which is much better than any MIM Fender Standard Strat .
Quote by jeffo46
For under $400.00, you can get a Squier Classic Vibe Strat which is much better than any MIM Fender Standard Strat .

you can get a Squier, and some of the higher end squiers that have come out in the last few years are very good for the price.
But to say that one is much better than any other is way too broad
and not at all informed.

as with all intermediate guitars, it's best to try them out first.

quality varies greatly from guitar to guitar in this range.

TS what used list do you have access to?
is it just consignment shops?
is there no CL available in your area?

edit: oh and badBanshee dont highjack threads, go make your own. or even better, google your question. it's pretty basic
and readily available info.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by BadBanshee
Where are Squiers made?
The first Squiers were made in Japan. Nowadays it's other asian countries, but I'm not sure whether they're all made in the same country. I'm pretty sure the cheaper ones are made in China, but the classic vibe series might be made elsewhere - Korea?

EDIT: apparently some Squiers are/were even made in the USA. You can identify, a Squier's origin by the serial number.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Apr 11, 2012,
You just missed the MIM 70s olympic white strat I sold for $400. I had Custom shop Texas Special pups. I played and sounded great.
Quote by BadBanshee

So for example this is the drop down list on the side of the strats on the fender site:

American Deluxe (5)
American Special (2)
American Standard (3)
American Vintage (3)
Artist (17)
Blacktop™ (3)
Classic (3)
Classic Player (2)
Deluxe (4)
Fender® Select (2)
Highway One™ (1)
Modern Player (1)
Pawn Shop Series (2)
Road Worn™ (4)
Standard (4)
Vintage Hot Rod (2)
Roland® V-Guitar (2)

If it a Fender and named as "American" (or custom shop whatever) its most likely Mexican (other than the Japanese ones).... the price will tell
I have craigslist but it just doesnt have anything I want! I was considering this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strat-style-flame-top-guitar-Carvin-neck-/200740174068?pt=Guitar&hash=item2ebd0bf8f4#ht_720wt_1270

but the whole play-before-buy thing is making me cautious of it. My local store only has the dirt cheap squiers or MIM new, which are above $400.
As long as you're on ebay, you should be able to get MIM strats all day for $350 tops.

There are sadly way more rosewood fretboard strats out there than maple, but the MIM Strat is one of the most circulated guitars in the world. Just wait a couple days, one will pop up.

Found this in about 10 seconds: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Fender-Stratocaster-MIM-Maple-neck-Strat-/110855584479?pt=Guitar&hash=item19cf81fadf

What color are you looking for?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 11, 2012,
Quote by BadBanshee

American Deluxe (5)
American Special (2)
American Standard (3)
American Vintage (3)
Artist (17)
Blacktop™ (3)
Classic (3)
Classic Player (2)
Deluxe (4)
Fender® Select (2)
Highway One™ (1)
Modern Player (1)
Pawn Shop Series (2)
Road Worn™ (4)
Standard (4)
Vintage Hot Rod (2)
Roland® V-Guitar (2)

Yeah its just called a Standard.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Apr 11, 2012,
Quote by Emperor's Child
The first Squiers were made in Japan. Nowadays it's other asian countries, but I'm not sure whether they're all made in the same country. I'm pretty sure the cheaper ones are made in China, but the classic vibe series might be made elsewhere - Korea?
They're all made in China, India or Indonesia now. No Korean Squiers any more.

EDIT: apparently some Squiers are/were even made in the USA. You can identify, a Squier's origin by the serial number.
The Fender Custom Shop does put out some guitars with the Squier logo still, when making a higher quality replica of a previously Squier-exclusive model like the 51, Jagmaster or Squier artist models. I know all of Avril Lavigne's ''Squier'' Telecasters have the Fender Custom Shop logo on the backs of them and there's pictures of a FCS '51 floating around.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I have a similar question. But I have paid for my strat already and am just wondering if i may have paid to much.
Quote by jeffo46

No. Mexican strats are made with better wood and better electronics.
I'm not saying the Squier is bad, but it doesn't have the same level of quality as the MIM strats.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by op4blushift
Take at look at the Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified strats.

Ive played some pretty nice squiers, have not played many CV's but I have gotten to play a few Vm and they are pretty good. But my MiM strat is better than any Squier ive played. For around $300 if I have to had new id go with a VM. But if going used you just cant beat a real fender.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Apr 12, 2012,
Squier Classic Vibe, all the way. I've got a "Made in China" Squier VM Thinline Tele that's a gig guitar of mine. It had a great fretjob, great sounded pups and a great feel. My only gripe: dead fret at 12 on the G. A bridge replacement solved that, but it's gotta be a fluke.

Classic Vibe 50's Strats? I've played 'em, they're great. The resale value won't be there, though.

Going with a Mexi ain't a bad idea, though. Resale value is generally higher with them. The pups on a stock Mexi blow, though. Ceramic and anemic.

In terms of build quality, they're pretty similar.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Apr 12, 2012,
for $400 you can get a new made in china fender strat.

i'm pretty sure it's made side by side with the classic vibes.

i'd go for a classic vibe or used mim.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Used MIM
Upper-end Squier
I have a Stagg Strat copy that I pick up used for like 80 bucks, and that thing plays pretty great. I think they're like 200 new. You can tell they're copies, but they don't sound too bad at all...I've played it side by side with my MIM strats...the Stagg is lighter and feels less, idk, stable or solid. But overall, the fretting was fine, the electronics weren't bad compared to the MIM stock ones. The tone was actually comparable.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell