So I've decided that within the coming months I will be looking for a compressor pedal. I have never really used compressor for live stuff so I'm really not too familiar with which ones to look into. I've looked at the Analogman Comprossor and the Keeley 4 knob as high end possibilities, but I don't think I want to spend that much. Other choices I've considered is the BBE Bench Press, anybody use one? I do want to get a BBE pedal eventually. Also looked at the MXR ones too.

Just was wondering what other people use, looking for a reliable, good sounding compressor, not looking to spend anymore than $150, might stretch it to $180.

Thanks!
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
The Analogman/Keeley are great compressors. You can get them used for $150 (not the Analogman 4-knob though, I think). They are based on the older 'Ross' compressors, which means they're pretty squashy. If that's what you're looking for than that's cool. I had a Keeley 2-knob which was a great compressor.

If you're looking for something more transparent, the Diamond Compressor is awesome too. It's much more transparent and less noisy, but it can get squashy too. The EQ on it is great too. Bit cheaper too.
I have the T-Rex Tonebug. It works pretty well for how simple it is.

It seems to work better for a little grit than my cleans, so I'm going to try out an optical compressor next.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
You need to decide what sort of compressor you want.. Squishy? Hifi? etc. As there are many different styles.

If you want decent reviews check this link:
http://www.ovnilab.com/

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Visual Sound Comp 66 ?
MXR Dyna Comp ?
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by Duv

Fapfapfap

Now I need 3 compressors. Thanks.
The Boss CS-2 is awesome, but can get pretty pricey on ebay. Stay away from the CS-3.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Think about the Carl Martin Classic Opto Compressor?
I've heard good things about them, and they're only around (give or take a few dollars) the $130 mark new.
I'm pretty sure optical compressors are the way to go, but I have no idea which ones are optical compressors.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I've become pretty interested in Maxon pedals.

Get their optical compressor, and tell me all about it. The CP101 has an optical circuit?
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Apr 11, 2012,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I've become pretty interested in Maxon pedals.

Get their optical compressor, and tell me all about it. The CP101 has an optical circuit?

The CP9 pro+ is my favourite compressor on the market.. If you're into "hifi" compression without needing a phd to work the thing it's hard to beat. It also has very little noise.. If I needed a compressor in my rig this is what I'd go for.

As for the CP101; it left me unmoved.. It's not bad but not great either. For a stereotypcial "optical sound" the demeter is hard to beat.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
I'm a Keeley Compressor owner and would intuitively suggest that. It does easily get quite squishy. The alternative I'd look at is precisely what was already mentioned: the diamond. If I were to start over as if I didn't already have a compressor, it'd be a tossup between those two.