Hi guys, first of all, I dont intend to promote (or something like that) this video.... Ive been watching vypyr demos on youtube (because Im planning to buy one) and I stumbled upon this video. Im just curious on what is this guy is doing in this video, he is sort of reaching for the neck of his guitar and I guess he's pulling it? (my lucky guess is that he's simulating a whammy bar?)... Is this some kind of a technique or is it a bad thing to do on your guitar?

Heres the link of the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVj132-5FUA

BTW, in case you dont want to watch the whole video (it's 14 mins long), here are the time where he did what Im asking all about:

08:05 - 08:07
09:08 - 09:13
13:33 - 13:35

Thanks guys...
Last edited by fr0z3n1337 at Apr 11, 2012,
Quote by Telecaster7
Thanks for the link, it really helped.

Sorry, I forgot to paste the link... My bad...
Yeah, it's kind of a simulation of a whammy bar. I don't personally recommend doing it...
Quote by fr0z3n1337
Sorry, I forgot to paste the link... My bad...

Haha that's cool man.

Anyway what he's doing is pushing the string down behind the nut, as a way of making it sound like a bend or whammy bar.
Quote by Telecaster7
Haha that's cool man.

Anyway what he's doing is pushing the string down behind the nut, as a way of making it sound like a bend or whammy bar.

Actually it's 11 in the evening here and I feel really sleepy right now (tired from work)... I sort of laughed at my self too upon reading your reply...

Thanks, so what you mean is that he's not actually pulling/pushing the neck, instead just pushing the strings between the tuners and the nut? is it a bad thing to do?... I also heard before about what ultima also thinks, bending the neck and most of them say that it's bad maybe thats why ultima says that he doesn't recommend doing it...

Just for an additional info, my guitar has a trem but it's just a dive only trem thats why this thing got my interest... ^_^
If he is bending behind the nut then there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it doesn't stress the strings any more than they would be normally and even if it does... they're only strings.

I'm not so sure about the point at about 9:08 or when ever it is, that could be actual neck bending where you actually put pressure on the neck causing it to bend so the string tension changes and therefore the pitch changes. Unless you have a whole load of money to blow in case you go too far I wouldn't recommend that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah I only watched 8:05 to 8:07, but he may be pulling the neck at other points. It's not exactly advisable to do that, as guitar necks are fitted with truss rods to stop them doing it by themselves, but in the end it's up to you, it can sound and look pretty cool if done right.