Page 1 of 2
Anyone else think that a band like Bring Me The Horizon, but with Dubstep would kick ass? I need to make this band... and be rich and famous lol.

Well and a better singer/screamer... lol.

It's like dubstep is the metal of techno, so it makes sense to pair it with metal music right? I know Korn got the jump on it, but it is too melodic. I want to have it more metal and breakdowny.

Whatcha guys think?
Quote by Exodus04
Anyone else think that a band like Bring Me The Horizon, but with Dubstep would kick ass? I need to make this band... and be rich and famous lol.

It's like dubstep is the metal of techno, so it makes sense to pair it with metal music right? I know Korn got the jump on it, but it is too melodic. I want to have it more metal and breakdowny.

Whatcha guys think?

I highlighted the parts that made me laugh.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Bring me the horizon already have an album out of remixes by Skrillex and other people.

KoRn have an album with Skrillex too.

Quote by z4twenny
just what metal needs.... more breakdowns.

Breakdowns > Most things
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Apr 11, 2012,
You want it? Then do it. You don't need anyone's opinion on it - haters gonna hate and likers gonna like. Nothing to it.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Haha duh I know I CAN do it if I want to, just striking up conversation about it cuz I'd be interested in hearing about those other bands who have done it for instance, Mr Macabre_Turtle.

Please enlighten me. And I'm not the biggest BMTH fan, I saw em live and that pretty much made me hate em. They still have some decent songs tho.

And yes - metal does need more breakdowns. But the kind it needs more of are the AWESOME breakdowns There are already 100 generic breakdown bands out there.
Quote by Exodus04
But the kind it needs more of are the AWESOME breakdowns There are already 100 generic breakdown bands out there.

so what's the difference?

chugga chugga chug chug chugga chug squeal chugga chug chugga chug....

Quote by z4twenny

Why bother writing anything that's been done before?
Quote by griffRG7321
Why bother writing anything that hasn't been done before?

Fixed

But really... look up The Algorithm. He probably does electronic with metal the best. I've said it before and I'll say it again, dubstep (Skrillex style) is the djent of EDM and they would combine great. Not even in the breakdowns, but in every way really... as long as you did it right.
no i legitimately want to know, whats the difference between a meh breakdown and a good one? i'm not trying to be a douche (though i'm sure it's coming off that way) but i had this idea 3 years ago when dubstep was first coming out and even then it felt played out. i'm not ripping on the idea, it's just that now theres a LOT of bands doing this as mentioned previously and i haven't heard very many mixups that i thought sounded very good. i'm not against the idea, it just seems kinda... well, old i guess.
Quote by Exodus04

First of all, a band like this exists. They're called The Browning, and they're absolutely awful.
Quote by Exodus04

Whatcha guys think?
Second of all, your definitions of both metal and dubstep are way out of whack.

This is what you think dubstep is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjr2SSHE5oY
This is what dubstep is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ijVnXIWBk

Third, calling dubstep "the metal of techno" is also incorrect. Techno is a specific subgenre within electronic music that has absolutely nothing to do with dubstep.
Quote by griffRG7321
Why bother writing anything that's been done before?
Because all music is just flattery. Stop writing.
Quote by z4twenny

Completely irrelevant to the rest of what I've been saying so far, but I felt that I needed to address this as well.

Yeah, we all hate those boring open-note breakdowns. But just remember, today's scenecore bands didn't invent them. You can thank bands like Metallica and Slayer for that.

Also, you seem to have a pretty narrow definition of what a breakdown is, or rather, what a breakdown can be.

Breakdowns come in all shapes and sizes, but most of them suck. Like people, really.

It'll make more sense to hear the bits that come before the bookmarks in the songs I've linked, but whatever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4mVPyfJv_v0#t=89s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jFQdvaU-JlY#t=154s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=65uF_cWDgoE#t=84s

Not a single metalcore/deathcore band in sight. Not a single chugging breakdown with a squeal anywhere.
Quote by TheReverend724
you're right

they're both giant shitstains

Nah, man.

They're both way overpopulated with a bunch of shit people/bands doing shitty things over and over, but the good ones make it all worth it.
Quote by TheReverend724
dubstep's been around for almost ten years bruh

what people collectively consider dubstep now has only been around for about 4 or 5 years before that it was called dubstep and was bass heavy, but wasn't oriented around the wub wub wobble bass. if there was wobble bass heavy stuff around in '01 i never heard it in all the raves, clubs and parties i went to.

Quote by DiminishedFifth
Nah, man.

They're both way overpopulated with a bunch of shit people/bands doing shitty things over and over, but the good ones make it all worth it.

basically this, which is why i have such a cynical view on it.

Quote by jetfuel495

Yeah, we all hate those boring open-note breakdowns. But just remember, today's scenecore bands didn't invent them. You can thank bands like Metallica and Slayer for that.

name one metallica or slayer song that has those....

i'm not arguing that theres some chuggy bridges like creeping death, but just plugging the open note rhythmically with a kick drum.... naw man. nothing THAT simple in most 'tallica and slayer stuff.

long story short - i don't mind breakdowns, i don't mind simplistic ones. but do we need to STRIVE for that? much less make more songs centered around it? do whatever you want man but it is what it is.
Last edited by z4twenny at Apr 11, 2012,
I went to see Johnathan Davis of Korn while he was touring his dubstep. I went knowing it would suck I was not wrong. I Went too say hey I was 15 feet from Johnathan Davis. It sucked A bunch of wiggers who want to be metal heads but cant because of whats cool and whats not.
Quote by z4twenny
name one metallica or slayer song that has those....

i'm not arguing that theres some chuggy bridges like creeping death, but just plugging the open note rhythmically with a kick drum.... naw man. nothing THAT simple in most 'tallica and slayer stuff.
Are you kidding? It's featured in probably some of their most famous songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sXPkmIwwobA#t=276s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7KsPZ1f7MDs#t=131s

We both know how immensely popular those songs and bands were. The very first metalcore bands of the early 90s described themselves as hardcore bands who loved Slayer and Pantera, and they took those breakdowns, something that didn't exist in hardcore before that metallic influence, and put them into their music.

Doesn't matter if there isn't anything that simple in most of their music. This is what they popularized.

The same start/stop riffing (breakdowns) appeared later on in the Gothenburg sound, which modern melodic metalcore borrowed heavily from.

The direct influence of these early metal breakdowns still lives on in really bad bands like BFMV, who claimed their second album was them trying to sound like Metallica and Slayer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-jDIx23m59U#t=237s

Tell me that doesn't sound like a complete ripoff of the Raining Blood breakdown.
Quote by jetfuel495
First of all, a band like this exists. They're called The Browning, and they're absolutely awful.Second of all, your definitions of both metal and dubstep are way out of whack.

This is what you think dubstep is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjr2SSHE5oY
This is what dubstep is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ijVnXIWBk

Lol wow - you guys really opened my eyes. I didn't know it was around that long, and I thought it was only the wobble wooo waa type stuff that was dubstep LOL!!! To be honest though - those are the only kinds I like.

That first video from Flux Pavillion is awesome, the second vid from burial.... TERRIBLE.

God I hate shitty techno music. Honestly the only reason I even like the new stuff is because they use the better elements that sound like breakdowns.

So what should I say to let all the experienced people out there know I like the new dubstep not the old stuff lol?

You guys kind of hurt my feelings too. I like BFMV lol. Got to even go on their tour bus and drink Absynth with them when they came to town

Also - Yes I meant less open note breakdowns and more awesomely creative breakdowns.
Last edited by Exodus04 at Apr 11, 2012,
Quote by Exodus04
That first video from Flux Pavillion is awesome, the second vid from burial.... TERRIBLE.
Do the world a favor and stop listening to electronic music.
Quote by Exodus04
God I hate shitty techno music.
But you just said you liked Flux?

Honestly, man, just stop. If you think this type of dubstep is worse than this type, then, well, I'm not gonna say you're stupid or anything, but you are the cancer that is killing electronic music.
Quote by jetfuel495
Do the world a favor and stop listening to electronic music.But you just said you liked Flux?

Honestly, man, just stop. If you think this type of dubstep is worse than this type, then, well, I'm not gonna say you're stupid or anything, but you are the cancer that is killing electronic music.

Ya.. I like Flux Pavillion much more than the other "dubstep" that you guys like.

The only kind of Electronic music I like is Drum and Bass, let me start by saying that.

I've only recently been open to the new dubstep because it didn't sound like a pile of muddy shit to me when I listen to it like most other electronic music. Drum and Bass has always been a favorite of mine because it's so similar to rock/metal music in the beat. The only band I know of that I actually like that is electronic is Pendulum. SO DON'T WORRY I WON'T LISTEN TO YOUR SHITTY ELECTRONIC MUSIC LOL!

I still think the new dubstep is 100x better than any other forms of electronic I've heard. Although I think a mix of Rock/Metal/newDubstep would sound ****ing killer if it was done right.

Sorry to offend you oldschool electronica listeners, but honestly I thought it all sucked before this. So you guys should be happy!! NEW LISTENERS TO ADD TO YOUR DWINDLING RANKS!!!
Quote by z4twenny
what people collectively consider dubstep now has only been around for about 4 or 5 years before that it was called dubstep and was bass heavy, but wasn't oriented around the wub wub wobble bass

I don't understand what you're saying here

it's always been dubstep. just because people capitalized on a certain aspect of the sound doesn't mean it's they're completely different things
Quote by Exodus04
Ya.. I like Flux Pavillion much more than the other "dubstep" that you guys like.

The only kind of Electronic music I like is Drum and Bass, let me start by saying that.

I've only recently been open to the new dubstep because it didn't sound like a pile of muddy shit to me when I listen to it like most other electronic music. Drum and Bass has always been a favorite of mine because it's so similar to rock/metal music in the beat. The only band I know of that I actually like that is electronic is Pendulum. SO DON'T WORRY I WON'T LISTEN TO YOUR SHITTY ELECTRONIC MUSIC LOL!

I still think the new dubstep is 100x better than any other forms of electronic I've heard. Although I think a mix of Rock/Metal/newDubstep would sound ****ing killer if it was done right.

Sorry to offend you oldschool electronica listeners, but honestly I thought it all sucked before this. So you guys should be happy!! NEW LISTENERS TO ADD TO YOUR DWINDLING RANKS!!!

piss off, you twerp
Quote by TheReverend724

it's always been dubstep. just because people capitalized on a certain aspect of the sound doesn't mean it's they're completely different things

Lol we just need to add core at the end right? That's what they always do to make subgenre's that everyone likes. HAHA

DUBSTEPCORE!!!! rofl
Wow, you're the cancer killing dubstep AND the cancer killing metal rolled into one person.
Quote by Exodus04
SO DON'T WORRY I WON'T LISTEN TO YOUR SHITTY ELECTRONIC MUSIC LOL!
You do realize that your hostility and immaturity is what makes you a target for me, right?

I am honestly wishing that you're just 15 and that's why you're saying stupid things like that, but judging by your join date, you have to be at least 17 or 18, which makes me very, very sad.
Quote by TheReverend724

piss off, you twerp

Lol it's all preference. I'm not stopping you from listening to your stuff that you personally think is good.
Quote by jetfuel495

i wouldn't call either of those breakdowns, so thats probably where you and i differ. it needs to actually BREAK DOWN.
Quote by jetfuel495
Wow, you're the cancer killing dubstep AND the cancer killing metal rolled into one person.You do realize that your hostility and immaturity is what makes you a target for me, right?

I am honestly wishing that you're just 15 and that's why you're saying stupid things like that, but judging by your join date, you have to be at least 17 or 18, which makes me very, very sad.

Hah I'm 25. I was just responding with the same cynicism everyone else here has towards my views. I don't see the problem.
Quote by z4twenny
i wouldn't call either of those breakdowns, so thats probably where you and i differ. it needs to actually BREAK DOWN.
You're right, it all depends on your definition of a breakdown. The Slayer one, at the very least, fits the bill. A breakdown is just where the song goes into halftime. How it's executed is what makes it so different. You can have chugging breakdowns, you can have breakdowns with the main riff of a song, etc.
Quote by Exodus04
Hah I'm 25. I was just responding with the same cynicism everyone else here has towards my views. I don't see the problem.
The problem is that you're misinformed and almost everything you've said regarding electronic music in this thread has been incorrect.
Quote by jetfuel495
The problem is that you're misinformed and almost everything you've said regarding electronic music in this thread has been incorrect.

I'm the OP... I created the thread to talk about the dubstep I thought I knew (the new stuff like flux, not old) and metal/rock music. You all went way off topic to diss how the form of dubstep I like is wrong and that I am killing electronica... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKAAAAY! lol.

I'm glad I now know the difference, but honestly I don't get why you all are getting so worked up over it lol. I wanted to talk about how awesome the new dubstep and metal/rock music would be. Not the fact that I don't know good dubstep from back in the day and that I am a cancer in the music field lol.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I know people who like shitty music who think it's great. I'm sure, as seen in this thread, you people think my music is shitty, but I among thousands and thousands of other people LOVE it. Music is all relative to the listener. You guys should lighten up lol.

In all honestly, the problem with this post is half of the people who posted replies.
I'm going to post this

Cyanide & Happiness @

Personally, I never got the point of drops or breakdowns, bother are abused way too much in music these days to the point that they no no longer have any of their intended effect
Quote by jetfuel495
Hey, all I did was show you the difference between the original form of dubstep and what dubstep is today.

You were the one who started slinging the insults first. Maybe you're the one who needs to lighten up.

Hey I was actually grateful for that knowledge so I don't have that problem again. Like I said, we should call the new stuff DubstepCore or something to differentiate so noone gets their feelings hurt again....lol.

And just to be correct, you sir were the one who slung the poo first in your post. Here's what you said in response to me saying that I didn't like burial. I was trying to be nice and didn't say anything about you, just said I hated that kind of electronic music:

Today 12:44 PM
jetfuel495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus04
"That first video from Flux Pavillion is awesome, the second vid from burial.... TERRIBLE."

you say: Do the world a favor and stop listening to electronic music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus04
"God I hate shitty techno music."

you say: But you just said you liked Flux?

Honestly, man, just stop. If you think this type of dubstep is worse than this type, then, well, I'm not gonna say you're stupid or anything, but you are the cancer that is killing electronic music."
Quote by seljer
I'm going to post this

Cyanide & Happiness @

Personally, I never got the point of drops or breakdowns, bother are abused way too much in music these days to the point that they no no longer have any of their intended effect

I love explosm. Best web comic out there! Break downs are just there for those of us who like to mosh and headbang,l really. It provides the best possible feeling to get you in the mood to do that I do agree they are startin to get played out. That's why we need more original ones, that aren't just chuga chuga open notes.
Quote by Exodus04
Hey I was actually grateful for that knowledge so I don't have that problem again. Like I said, we should call the new stuff DubstepCore or something to differentiate so noone gets their feelings hurt again....lol.

And just to be correct, you sir were the one who slung the poo first in your post. Here's what you said in response to me saying that I didn't like burial. I was trying to be nice and didn't say anything about you, just said I hated that kind of electronic music:
It's one thing to say "I don't like this", it's another to say "I hate this and this is terrible simply because I do not enjoy this; since I don't like this it must be objectively shitty" etc. The difference is one is an expression of a preference, the other is an arrogant declaration of your opinion being fact. Don't do that.
Quote by Exodus04
I love explosm. Best web comic out there! Break downs are just there for those of us who like to mosh and headbang,l really. It provides the best possible feeling to get you in the mood to do that I do agree they are startin to get played out. That's why we need more original ones, that aren't just chuga chuga open notes.
And again, breakdowns have been around for decades. Open note chugging is not the only way to have a breakdown.
Quote by Exodus04

The thing is, we had breakdowns like that, the trend was dumbing them down over the past decade. The djent bands seem to be improving on that...but the rhythmical meshuggah type stuff isn't for everybody.

However, the wub wub bass crap needs to die a swift death.
Quote by seljer
The thing is, we had breakdowns like that, the trend was dumbing them down over the past decade. The djent bands seem to be improving on that...but the rhythmical meshuggah type stuff isn't for everybody.

However, the wub wub bass crap needs to die a swift death.
I like you already.
Page 1 of 2