I've been playing slayer riffs a lot in the past 3 weeks and my alternate picking speed improved above 150bpm. I practiced some licks too, but not so much. So did playing slayer's riff's improveed my lead alternate picking?
Slayer has a tendency to do that to you.. Gratz!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Quote by kimi_page
I've been playing slayer riffs a lot in the past 3 weeks and my alternate picking speed improved above 150bpm. I practiced some licks too, but not so much. So did playing slayer's riff's improveed my lead alternate picking?

It improved your ability to play Slayer, now that you're trying to play something different, something you haven't practiced and oddly enough you can't do it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It improved your ability to play Slayer, now that you're trying to play something different, something you haven't practiced and oddly enough you can't do it.

I think you are seriuosly wrong about this, like the one guy who(I don't remember who) said that playing scales only makes you better at playing scales.. I think all of that improve player's ability
Quote by kimi_page
I think you are seriuosly wrong about this, like the one guy who(I don't remember who) said that playing scales only makes you better at playing scales.. I think all of that improve player's ability

Your opinion is noted and promptly ignored. Zaph's right on the money.

If you practice something over and over again, you get good at playing that thing. Practicing scales appears to have a different effect because a lot of music (especially faster music) tends to contain fragments of linear scales, which you've practiced to the point that playing them is no trouble.

I can generally alternate pick some complex lines at around 10 notes per second, but when I'm doing simple minor scales straight up and down, I can eke out around 14 notes per second. That's because (1) I've practiced scales a fair bit and (2) linear scale patterns are really simple as far as fingering and picking go.

There is no such thing as "lead alternate picking", only alternate picking (it's the same mechanic regardless of context or string). Of course practicing those songs made you a better guitarist and improved your alternate picking, but you'll see the most improvements in things that are most similar to the songs you've learned and the least improvement in things that are unlike the songs you've learned. For example, more Slayer songs will come to you rather easily, but Shawn Lane-style licks might still elude you.

All of that said, congrats. Hitting the bigger numbers on the metronome is always a good feeling.
Quote by kimi_page
I have played a lot of fast Metallica songs, and that made me alternate pick 16th at 190 bpm. So playing a lot of trash metal is good for your picking hand, I have experienced my self.

Once my picking speed was about 16th notes at 130 bpm. I started playing faster Metallica songs and after a month I played 165 bpm!

Conclution: Yes, playing stuff like Slayer will improve you picking hand, at least mine...
Quote by Jyrgen
It's highly possible, thrash metal tends to do improve your picking
Excactly
Quote by Geldin
Your opinion is noted and promptly ignored. Zaph's right on the money.

If you practice something over and over again, you get good at playing that thing. Practicing scales appears to have a different effect because a lot of music (especially faster music) tends to contain fragments of linear scales, which you've practiced to the point that playing them is no trouble.

I can generally alternate pick some complex lines at around 10 notes per second, but when I'm doing simple minor scales straight up and down, I can eke out around 14 notes per second. That's because (1) I've practiced scales a fair bit and (2) linear scale patterns are really simple as far as fingering and picking go.

There is no such thing as "lead alternate picking", only alternate picking (it's the same mechanic regardless of context or string). Of course practicing those songs made you a better guitarist and improved your alternate picking, but you'll see the most improvements in things that are most similar to the songs you've learned and the least improvement in things that are unlike the songs you've learned. For example, more Slayer songs will come to you rather easily, but Shawn Lane-style licks might still elude you.

All of that said, congrats. Hitting the bigger numbers on the metronome is always a good feeling.

Opinion is noted and ignored? Lmao you might not agree with him and I might not agree with him but get off your high horse you jerk stain.

However like you said, alternate picking is alternate picking whatever string or fret you're playing on.
Quote by Bubbles516
Opinion is noted and ignored? Lmao you might not agree with him and I might not agree with him but get off your high horse you jerk stain.

Don't get too bent out of shape about my personality. What matters is that TS' question is answered correctly. His opinion flew in the face of my experience and that of another board regular, which indicates to me that he's wrong, thus my correction.
Geldin, I can say that I agree with you, because you have arguments for what you've said. I can play some things 16th at 150bmp, but some compicated classisal stuff I can't even play above 130. I maybe made a mistake with phrase "lead alternate picking", but in metal rhythm playing the fact is that I can play a lot faster since many notes are palm muted and there's a lot of tremolo picking.
Quote by kimi_page
Geldin, I can say that I agree with you, because you have arguments for what you've said. I can play some things 16th at 150bmp, but some compicated classisal stuff I can't even play above 130. I maybe made a mistake with phrase "lead alternate picking", but in metal rhythm playing the fact is that I can play a lot faster since many notes are palm muted and there's a lot of tremolo picking.
You can play a lot faster because of lower string tension on the lower strings. You'll notice that generally speaking, you play slowest on the G string, which tends to have the highest tension of the strings on a guitar.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Obviously you're not going to automatically know every song that uses fast alternate picking by learning some Slayer songs. You must practice a song to get good at playing that song. He's not asking about songs though, he's asking if playing songs that use a lot of alternate picking will make him better at alternate picking.

How is the answer to this not yes?
Last edited by J_W at Apr 12, 2012,
Quote by supersac
i see slayer songs as a chromatic alternate picking exercise

basically, this.

anything with a lot of speed picking will do wonders. so yea, thrash metal and the like is good help.
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw
Quote by J_W
Obviously you're not going to automatically know every song that uses fast alternate picking by learning some Slayer songs. You must practice a song to get good at playing that song. He's not asking about songs though, he's asking if playing songs that use a lot of alternate picking will make him better at alternate picking.

How is the answer to this not yes?

Learning Slayer will make you good at playing that kind of thrash metal: single string picking; relatively little actual co-ordination between picking and fretting; downpicking; and so on.

It will not make you good at things that do not involve those things: complicated chords; complex finger patterns (or indeed any real finger patterns); weird rhythms; many other things along that line.

Now don't get me wrong, everything you learn is something you didn't know before and there's no harm in learning anything as long as you do it well, I enjoy Slayer and like playing through the songs of theirs that I know. However, it is for the most part a relatively limited skill set. If you're talking about improving the skill of relaxed single string picking then yes it will improve that skill as long as you do it well but TS mentioned lead playing, which to me, when combined with alternate picking, implies a certain level of complexity. Practicing Slayer will not make you better at that and practicing that will not make you better at Slayer, the cross-over between those two skill sets is relatively limited.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
alternate picking is alternate picking, whether it's lead or not. I'm just saying playing songs that use this technique is going to help you get better at that specific technique. Nothing more. I wasn't talking about anything any more complex.
Quote by J_W
alternate picking is alternate picking, whether it's lead or not. I'm just saying playing songs that use this technique is going to help you get better at that specific technique. Nothing more. I wasn't talking about anything any more complex.

You ask and I explain, it's more than most get around here. I'm not the only one who got that implication from the question either.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.