Hey, gang. Been struggling with whether or not this'd be a good discussion topic for a while. If it's redundant or in the wrong place, just close it or move it, aye? Thanks.

Anyway. I realize it's a little early to be thinking about this, but I really, really have a bit of a phobia about releasing my music/albums to the Interwebs.

There are, as we all know, a lot of shitty musicians on YouTube. Daniel Tosh and his ilk make a living out of mocking them on cable... half the joke being that they're deluded as to whether or not they actually possess any talent (the musicians, not Daniel Tosh). It's "obvious" to the rest of us that they're a horrible, auto-tuned mess pretending to be a musician, but the subjective nature of music means that there's a fan for every style. I mean, I hate anything that can be described by slapping a "-core" on the end of it, but that doesn't mean it's awful to the people who like it. But still, is there anyone (besides me) who actually bought "Friday" off of iTunes because they actually liked it, and not out of some ironic sense of hipster hate?

I don't want to become the next Rebecca Black. I don't want to be that guy whose video goes viral because of how staggeringly awful it is, with people laughing about my cluelessness behind my back.

So, my questions for discussion are thus; how do you separate the awful, the truly awful, from the unremarkable? What screams, to you, "shitty MySpace band" versus "guys who are either unremarkable or may actually be pretty good someday, if they get discovered"? - and, are there any steps I, as an artist, can take to keep this from happening? Or is it literally just "put it out there and take your chances"?

Or is it, as I'm suspecting, just a matter of me being a wuss. Discuss.

CS
Why did you say that you didn't want to become the next Rebecca Black, when the title of the thread is "How do I become the next Rebecca Black?"?
I'd imagine that if you can play the guitar cleanly and in time, it wouldn't draw negative attention to you. If your singing voice doesn't sound girly, completely out of tune, or autotuned, you'd also avoid a lot of negativity. Put real feeling in your songs and avoid being cheesy. If you can do all that, you won't gain negative attention. As for getting real positive attention, as I'd imagine that you'd want, you have to do all of that and make sure you're very good at it and to try being original too.
Post music here first, we'll try to be as brutally honest as we can.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Perform sexual favours for the boss of a major record label
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Don't try to be the 'next' anything. Be the first You.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by risk182
Why did you say that you didn't want to become the next Rebecca Black, when the title of the thread is "How do I become the next Rebecca Black?"?

So that if someone tells me how to do that, I won't do that. Although, I suppose if we were to take it literally, the answer to that would be "don't release a vanity single not meant for public consumption recorded by a producer who may be a self-indulgent hebephile".

And, I've already posted some music. There isn't much, but I'll keep doing it as I go along. So far, the results have been positive, but I'm not sure that really means anything just yet.

I'm sure it's not just about being in tune, though. Reh-Dogg was in tune on "Why Must I Cry" (bad viral videos are a bit of an interest of mine, can you tell?) - I didn't think he was, but my instructor told me, when I played him the video, that the song was in F. Although I guess in that case, the answer is "don't be an ugly black man recording in the shower."
Last edited by CarsonStevens at Apr 11, 2012,
I geuss the trick is to project a personality that people find likeable. Then they will be more forgiving of musical quirkiness.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
That will work trust me.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Perform sexual favours for the boss of a major record label
just be professional. if i hear music that is poorly captured/presented, or if it's obvious that the musical ideas weren't coherently developed, i'll look for something else to listen to in an instant (unless maybe it's some kvlt black metal). any measure of being "better" beyond that starts to become listener's preference.

you can't deny that that friday song is professional and polished. it was probably exactly what rebecca black was going for, and it sounded like she knew what she was doing (or whoever wrote it did). but i'd rather be shot before being caught liking it.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
A few thoughts come to mind:

First, remember that the more popular you are, the more people will hate you. Rebecca Black only comes in for so much hate BECAUSE she's popular. If you to come up with a list of the most-hated musicians in the world, it would probably be remarkably similar to a list of the most popular musicians in the world. Why? Because people have to hear you to hate you.

If you play a gig, you might get heckled. You can't have the applause without the risk of heckling. You can't have success without some people deriding you. Get used to it.

The second thing I'd say is, sing your truth. If you can connect to your truth as a musician, it won't matter so much if your pitch isn't perfect or your timing isn't exact. Your emotional truth is what matters. Part of why "Friday" is so laughable is because the music and production values are professional while the content of the song is, well what 13-year-old would come up with. There's a disconnect between the truth of the MUSIC and the truth of the SINGER.

So that's why we laugh at somebody who's trying to be a thrash king but can barely get a note out of their guitar. You protect yourself by being truly you.

Third, if you're new at performing, start small. Go do a few open mike nights and see how the audience reacts. (Let me tell you, the first time a group of people explode in applause for you at the end of a song is pretty f'in awesome). Work on your craft and be honest with yourself.

The fact that you're asking this question suggests that you're not going to be one of the people on american idol who is terrible but doesn't know it - they think they're great. Record yourself and REALLY LISTEN to the results, try to put yourself in the position of listening as someone else. What's good, what needs work?

Find your truth as a musician. Sing that. And let everyone else worry about the rest.
First, I think HotspurJr nailed it.

But, I'm going to play the devil's advocate here.

The only thing wrong with the song, from a pop song point of view, is that the lyrics are typical cliches that you would expect from an average young teen. (Ironically, though, the song was written by two dudes in their 40's....) Did she use autotune because it's an effect that "everyone else" is using and it gave a "clubby" kind of vibe, or did she use it because she really can't hold a tune in a 10 gallon bucket? My guess is the former moreso than the latter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZQ0Fsk468s&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQeRwL3UF1A&feature=related

Not a brilliant singer, no, but miles and miles from the "worst singer ever" tag that people love to slag her with.

So, wadda ya got? A catchy pop song with top-of-the-line production, a well-produced video, and a cute young girl delivering it to a young teen audience. Mostly a pretty promising combination. If you were a 13-year-old girl, wouldn't you die for that opportunity? Hell, I would have.

The song goes up to #58 on Billboard's hot 100 in it's second week following the release.

So, the song gets mixed reviews - everything from "worst song ever" (hell, SHE didn't write it...) to Simon Cowell (according to wikipedia, but referenced...)

" Simon Cowell praised Black, saying "I love her [and] the fact that she's gotten so much publicity. People are so upset about the song, but I think it's hysterical. [...] Anyone who can create this much controversy within a week, I want to meet. I love people like that."[44] He observed that "any song to do with the weekend annoys you. It reminds me of 'Saturday Night'... It's what we call a 'hair-dryer song,' a song girls sing into their hair dryers as they're getting ready to go out. But the fact that it's making people so angry is brilliant."[45] Cowell advised Black not to "listen to anyone over the age of 18. I'm being deadly serious. Whatever she's done has worked. Whether you like her or not, she's the most talked-about artist in America right now. Nobody over the age of 18 should understand her or like her. So she should just do it her way."

She then goes on to start up her own record company and release her own music. Two of those other songs gets 40 million views (certainly not a 'viral for all the wrong reasons' thing).

There are a lot of haters out there. But we can sit back and throw darts at her all year long, accusing her of being the worst thing ever in music, etc., but the truth is, she's had - and probably will have - a lot more *actual* success than 99.99% of the rest of us out here.

She's had the guts to put herself out there, and amidst all of the hurtful comments lobbed in her direction, she didn't crumble. She kept right on going letting the haters hate, and reaching out to her fans.

Good on her, I say.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

She's had the guts to put herself out there, and amidst all of the hurtful comments lobbed in her direction, she didn't crumble. She kept right on going letting the haters hate, and reaching out to her fans.

Good on her, I say.

CT

i think if ANYONE can do this right here (stay cool amidst all the haters) then the people you want to hear your music will. when i get poor criticism (oh this song sucks its horrible wth are your ears broken) i just chalk it up to "thats cool, i wrote it for me, it's ok if you don't like it, i didn't write it for you. maybe you'll like this other one that i wrote as it sounds a bit different"
Quote by axemanchris
First, I think HotspurJr nailed it.

So do I, and I appreciate all the feedback. Sorry to say it though, Chris, but I could have saved you a lot of typing by saying up front that I already knew all of that, and fully agree with both you and Cowell. I was one of Rebecca's staunch supporters when the whole mess started, and I think Cowell nailed it. The irony is, Ark Music presented two songs to her to choose from, and she picked "Friday" because it was the only one that was about something she could relate to. I've heard her second single, and really liked it as well. I only really picked her as an example of what I don't want to become (yes I know, cry all the way to the bank an' all that...) for two reasons. One, she's the most recent example of the phenomenon I'm kinda worried about, and two, the day after "Friday" hit YouTube my instructor showed me the video, prefaced with the comment "Dude, you have to see this. Listen to how so much better you are." I guess a better example might be the aforementioned Reh-Dogg or Tay Zonday, the former of whom was featured on Tosh.0 - and the latter, booed offstage on national television, IIRC.
Last edited by CarsonStevens at Apr 11, 2012,
I think the best advice I can give you is to stay true to yourself and be professional. You also have to remember that you can't please everybody and when you become as popular as Rebecca Black you'll always have a critic saying you're not doing this or that. Just stay in your own lane and do the best you're capable of and the rest is out of your hands.
Daniel Tosh is hilarious.
t's a little early to be thinking about this...

...just "put it out there and take your chances"
^This

And everything that hotspurjr and axemanchris said
Si
Ummm to push it even further, I kinda like the song "Friday".

I guess I'll expand.

So from an artistic standpoint one can say that the song is horrible, that the lyrics make no sense and it's horribly autotuned. However sometimes a movie comes along that is so unintentionally bad, that it becomes considered as "good" over time and finally people accept it for what it is, entertaining trash, and I'd submit that's what Friday is, unintentionally bad music to the point where it's good.

Lets face it, some music is just bad, and you'll just stop playing it after 30 seconds. But not Friday, nope. You've listened through that at least one time, maybe even more. You've quoted the bridge "after friday comes saturday", "we so excited!". Even better, if you perform this song live (I have no shame), the chorus, band goes "partying partying" and you stop, the entire audience goes "yeah!".

And it's a great thing, all pop songs really should have memorable lyrics, something that the audience can sing along with. People like songs they can sing along with.

Other than that, the other pop staples are there, the repeating chord structure (I - vi - IV - V), the catchy hook on the chorus "Friday, friday", the rap bridge.

So I think there's really a lot you can draw from the song, if you choose to skip the bandwagon and simply accept the song for what it is. Maximum cliche pop, just with unintentionally bad lyrics.

That aside, how do you not become Rebecca Black? Just keep on doing whatever you're doing now. Her success is a one in a million thing, it's simply a viral success that is already almost died out. If people knew how to replicate her success or Bieber, there'd be a whole heap of people becoming successful right now. Instead there's just a whole heap of random original music on youtube, most of which will never get over 50 or so views.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by CarsonStevens
I don't want to become the next Rebecca Black. I don't want to be that guy whose video goes viral because of how staggeringly awful it is, with people laughing about my cluelessness behind my back.
Well Carson, why don't you ramp up your expectations about yourself, and decide to want to be the next Jennifer Nettles......?....
I really don't know why Friday was hailed as being so horribly bad. Sure, the music video is painfully awkward, but I don't think the song itself is any worse than most of the crap you hear in "hits" radio stations. They're all autotuned to hell too, they all have shallow, meaningless lyrics too. I don't think Rebecca Black was aspiring to be the next *insert respectable singer here*. It's a catchy song that people remember. That's what she was going for.

On topic: If you don't want to get made fun of, just don't suck. Practice and get your music sounding good before you youtube it up. Even post it here on UG for some constructive criticism. I've heard some terrible things posted on UG (much worse than Rebecca Black) and they didn't become a laughing stock
I hate my sig
I do think if most of us ran across Rebecca Black singing Friday not because she was a youtube sensation, but because she was our friend's little sister and she was just jamming out at her house being silly and having fun, we'd probably say, "Wow, that's pretty fun."
Get the right audience first:

You could show the video from Metalica's one to a bunch of hip-hoppers and thei'd laugh at it. Same as I find every hiphop/current pop video laughable, and it's normal, it's not meant for me.

So, if you want to post something up, start by here, then built in the dirrection where it's meant to be.

And if you want to go trough youtube, don't take it seriously...!
how do you separate the awful, the truly awful, from the unremarkable? shit is shit , some is better produced and packaged but it still reeks.

What screams, to you, "shitty MySpace band" versus "guys who are either unremarkable or may actually be pretty good someday, if they get discovered"?

Individuality/Uniqueness + passion/effort.

and, are there any steps I, as an artist, can take to keep this from happening?

There is nothing to prevent imo if you offer the best that you can do and you are satisfied with your beatiful work.

If thats the highest quality music that you can offer yourself and thus your potential audience then youre on the safe side..

unless you are delusional (and you obviously are not) you will do great

Or is it literally just "put it out there and take your chances"?

Pretty much yup, but if you did the best you could and were honest with yourself, then you are offering/sharing something honest and geniunie.. what are the chances you are taking ? Worst thing that can happen is a couple of dislikes and some trolling, if its something private if might hurt you but you will get over it

Ive always lived under the impression that amazing musicians compose for themselves..(it is sometimes smart to also water it down though) the audience is a byproduct and they all took their chances by exposing their fragile sides... they survived :P

SO DO IT i will click the like button.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Apr 14, 2012,
Quote by CarsonStevens

So, my questions for discussion are thus; how do you separate the awful, the truly awful, from the unremarkable? What screams, to you, "shitty MySpace band" versus "guys who are either unremarkable or may actually be pretty good someday, if they get discovered"?

- and, are there any steps I, as an artist, can take to keep this from happening? Or is it literally just "put it out there and take your chances"?

Or is it, as I'm suspecting, just a matter of me being a wuss. Discuss.

CS

I think the best thing you can do is to get out of this mindset completely. Play your guitar, and enjoy it. Stop judging other people, and stop worrying about how other people judge you.
shred is gaudy music
Way back when, a group of guys basically wrote a recipe on how to make a number 1 hit, executed the plan and demonstrated that it does work. Ever heard of the KLF manual? It's a bit dated, but the basic philosophy still stands -- its all about marketing not music.
Quote by GuitarMunky
I think the best thing you can do is to get out of this mindset completely. Play your guitar, and enjoy it. Stop judging other people, and stop worrying about how other people judge you.

Exactly, the point is to have fun instead of being all elitist about it.
Quote by z4twenny
i think if ANYONE can do this right here (stay cool amidst all the haters) then the people you want to hear your music will. when i get poor criticism (oh this song sucks its horrible wth are your ears broken) i just chalk it up to "thats cool, i wrote it for me, it's ok if you don't like it, i didn't write it for you. maybe you'll like this other one that i wrote as it sounds a bit different"

Like anyone could dislike your tunes.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
How to write a hit song and create a video for it that make lots of money and still be hated by millions of "true" music fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=753WF127iAE

This is how you do it. Step by step procedure as produced and broadcast on Government owned television. So yes, the world now knows why Canada produces so many hit artists like Nickelback and Justin Bieber, it is a Government funded plot against the world.
If I miss one day of practice, I notice it.
If I miss two days, the critics notice it.
If I miss three days, the audience notices it.

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)
Quote by Quintex
How to write a hit song and create a video for it that make lots of money and still be hated by millions of "true" music fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=753WF127iAE

This is how you do it. Step by step procedure as produced and broadcast on Government owned television. So yes, the world now knows why Canada produces so many hit artists like Nickelback and Justin Bieber, it is a Government funded plot against the world.

Ouch. Yeah, I suppose that's the sort of thing I'm thinking about. Until they started going off the rails and getting silly with the visual cliches inherent in (I assume) Nickelback's videos, that song could easily have been ripping my work. Or a lot of other people's, for that matter.

I think it's impossible to write music without cliches of some kind, unless you're one of those "trendsetting" teens who is so desperate to be "original" that they're composing in a scale based off of African click languages.

"There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
- Monty Python, paraphrasing Oscar Wilde
Quote by Hydra150
Post music here first, we'll try to be as brutally honest as we can.

That might work. I'm actually gonna start doing it.
^ Ive gotten some helpful crits from the folks in here

Quote by The_Sophist
Like anyone could dislike your tunes.

Oh i've got haters i just brush'em aside unless they're actually giving constructive criticism in which case i'll listen to almost anyone.
Last edited by z4twenny at Apr 16, 2012,
hilarious. dont creep into to the trendy-youth's asses and you will be a serious musician.

dont play stupid penetrating melodies or write about your shitty kiddy life.

concentrate on playing not posing.

become cool and not greedy for attention.

if you become cool you gonna recognized as a serious musician.

only one thing will be left out.

A SHORT BUT BIG SUCCESS!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B