2x12 cabinet.

My playing style isn't some ultra brutal metalz - but I like that sound of tone no matter what I'm playing when it comes to rhythm. More specifically I love a sound with tons of clarity and that's tight.

But I'm mostly concerned with leads. I like a bright screamy soloy sound.

I'm mainly a recording artist if that makes a difference too.

Would prefer to not spend over 150 per speaker. But doesn't mean I want to spend the most I can. Cheaper stuff is fine too.

What would you recommend?
Any responses are much appreciated.
With that kind of money available per speaker.. My opinion, EVs all the way. They'll be everything you want, lol. If you don't mine the used market.
Last edited by ryantombasco at Apr 11, 2012,
^Electro-Voice?

V30s are popular. Lot's of highs, very tight lows.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
@Ryan
I said how much money I was looking to spend.

I googled Electro voice speakers and immediately saw crazy prices.
Totally not paying more for the speakers than the amp itself. ;D But I don't mind the used market nonetheless. I just imagine they'd still be pricey there.

Thanks though. ;D

@Death
Thanks. I've heard lots and lots about the V30s. Are those pretty much the standard for what I want?
I searched for these kinds of threads beforehand to see what people have suggested in the past and also saw the Eminence Legends recommended a bit.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Apr 11, 2012,
Quote by TechnicolorType
@Death
Thanks. I've heard lots and lots about the V30s. Are those pretty much the standard for what I want?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the wattage of the speakers need to surpass your amps wattage?

V30s are have really bright, pronounced highs. It's great for what you want.

A lot of people mix them with something that has a little smoother high mids, and rounder in general.

Like that guy above me. That's a good idea BTW.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Apr 11, 2012,
I got a pair of EV 12s for 225 used. They sound fantastic. IF you can find them, they're worth it. The deals are out there, just gotta find em
if it wasn't a 2x12 I would suggest greenbacks...
5150's were made for these speakers...
Maybe Celestion lynchback or eminence GB128 would be my choise for a 2x12...
I'm getting a greenback 2x12. I'm going to be running a 4x12 w/V30s though, so it's like... not hardly a 2x12.
I'm getting a greenback 2x12. Mostly for other amps though.
I can do a recording of v30s to EVs comparison for you.. Only problem is a dont own a peavey.. I can run it through a triple rec if you want though.. You can get a general idea at least.
Rectifiers are voiced dark at least.

It'll be a great comparison.
You try and run a 5150 through one 2x12 cab loaded with greenbacks and you're going to kill those speakers. Greenbacks are rated at 25 watts a piece. And considering wattage is not linear to volume, you could well endanger those speakers before the amp reaches anything near half volume. If you absolutely need that sound, Celestion makes a higher-wattage version of the Greenback, but it's also very expensive.

Just my Dual Lincolns.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I'm getting a greenback 2x12. Mostly for other amps though.

You will need to do the 60W mod so that you won't fry those 25watters with your 120w head...
Thanks everyone.
So apart from ev, the vintage 30 and g12t-75 combination would be good?

Can someone explain ohms to me? If an amp says 16 ohms minmum, then do you need two 8 ohm speakers or two 16s?

@ryantombasco
sure if it's not too much hassle. ;D I'm sure plenty would be interested to hear.
Quote by blackie13
You will need to do the 60W mod so that you won't fry those 25watters with your 120w head...

It'll kill those speakers even then, unless he's planning on playing it at conversational volumes.
Quote by blackie13

Well I'll likely be using it with 15W circuits and 5w circuits. If I do like it in my metal tone, it will be chained with a 4x12.

As far as I remember, using other cabs helps, right?
Yes, using anothe cab in parallel halves the power consumed by each cab. It also halves the overall ohm load your amp head sees if both cabs are of the same ohm rating. If one cab is 16 ohms and the other is 8, total ohm load will be less than 8 ohms.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Apr 12, 2012,