Hi

I have tried alot of guitars recently and i am now between those two (Guild D-150 and Takamine EF300). I like both guitars maybe i liked the D-150 bit more because the neck was a bit thinner, but both sounded very good. I can buy both for around the same price around 1000 dollars. Both come with a hardcase. The D-150 has solid spruce top, rosewood back & sides solid , scalloped bracing, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard and no electronics. The Takamine EF300 has has solid spruce top, nato back & sides(probably lami?), mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, rosewood bridge, Nato Body Binding: Ivory and CT4B II (cool Tube preamp).

Guild:
What i like about the Guild is that is all solid it has a bit warmer sound, the neck is thinner and looks great. It doesn't have a pickup though and if i buy that one i might need to add a pickup later, but don't really know if i need it. If i add the pickup later will cost me around 200 dollars for a quality pickup.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/guild_d_150.htm (it has some clips there of the guitar)

also here there is a review of the cutaway version with electronics of that guitar, however i didn't understand a think and their recordings are clipping.

Takamine :
I liked the fact that has the extra features (tube preamp/tuner and under-saddle pickup), Sounds good acoustically and with the pickup, the neck is thicker than the guild and rounder but is still comfortable(i might need some time to get use to it though), I don't really like the finish but is OK maybe that will change if i buy the guitar (when i bought my ibanez i didn't like the white color but now i am glad that i went for it). The takamine is 80 dollars more but it has the electronics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpmh0NhuxNw&feature=relmfu (this is a video of the Takamine)
http://takamineguitars.eu/uk/keystone/ef300n-cs/

So which Guitar would you choose? Does anyone has any experience with any of those two brands/ build quality etc?I know the Guild is made in China and the Takamine is made in Japan.

Btw I am going to use the Guitar mainly acoustically since i only have amps for electric guitars. I mostly play Rock , Blues, maybe some jazzy stuff and folk.

I am really confused and i have to make a decision soon because those two are now cheaper because they are demo guitars.

George
GUITARS:
Ibanez SAS36FM
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z
Guild D-150
Gibson Les Paul Signature T VS

AMPS:
Peavey Mini Colosal
H&K Tubemeister 18

PEDALS:
Boss DD-3, NS-1, CS3, CH1, TU-3
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Vox Satchurator
Digitech RV-7
Off the top of my head, if you like the guild better I'd say buy a Guild D-150CE http://www.guildguitars.com/instruments/details?partno=3810515821

This MSRP is only about a hundred bucks more, and there would be no electronics retrofit BS.

It's really pointless to listening to guitars on YouTube, don't cha think?

Taks have a good rep also, your choice.

Country of origin doesn't concern me that much. Who knows, maybe it should.
Thanks for the reply Captain, I found the d150 for 300 dollars less than the CE so i can buy the acoustic and add the pickup of my choice for much less. In the UK they sell the D-150 for around £600 and the CE for £720 but i am able to buy the d150 for around £510.
GUITARS:
Ibanez SAS36FM
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z
Guild D-150

AMPS:
Peavey Mini Colosal
H&K Tubemeister 18

PEDALS:
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Vox Satchurator
Digitech RV-7
I haven't played eithe of those guitars, but I'm biased towards Taks so I would personally go with that one. Plus the CT4B II is badass, if you ever plug it in. Surely adding that preamp to the guild would end up costing more in the long run. But get whichever one your gut is telling you to get.

Also, I may be wrong here, but can't you just use your existing amps for your Tak???
I think i can use it with my tubemeister but the guy at the store told me that it wont sound as good because of the frequency that an acoustic produces is much more broad than an electric,but i am not sure either. Yeah i have plugged in the Tak at the shop on a Fender Acoustasonic 150 and sounded amazing that preamp is awesome. But If i get the Guild i would probably buy an LR Baggs M1 active or something similar so i wont have to mess with the guitar.
GUITARS:
Ibanez SAS36FM
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z
Guild D-150

AMPS:
Peavey Mini Colosal
H&K Tubemeister 18

PEDALS:
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Vox Satchurator
Digitech RV-7
Quote by Giorgosm10
I think i can use it with my tubemeister but the guy at the store told me that it wont sound as good because of the frequency that an acoustic produces is much more broad than an electric,but i am not sure either....[ ]....
You just have to use the clean channel of an electric amp, and turn down the pre-gain. You get the volume with the master. That said, most acoustic amps have both channels clean, and reverb in both. Accordingly, you can use channel 2 as a vocal input in these amps.

With the electric amp, you just might not get the "sparkle" you would with an acoustic amp. "Sparkle" would be useful to "cut through a mix". That said, when you're playing alone, too much high end is just annoying

Disclaimer: If your amp is a "Krankenstein", you're SOL, since they don't really have a clean channel.
My amp is a Hughes and Kettner and i think it has nice cleans http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO3OAiTDRco&feature=related . Also I want to ask something else, when i went to the shop the d-150's action was a mess every single string was buzzing(it was unplayable) and the guy at the shop told me to come back the next day and it will be set up properly. So i went to the shop yesterday and he told me that he adjusted the neck but the action was still a bit low (around 0.065"/1.6mm at the 14 fret) but still playable, so he told me that he is going to add a shim under the saddle to increase the action a bit more. Should i worry about that? It might be something wrong with the guitar?
The guitar has a tag from the factory with the action that it was set up and it said 2.2mm in the 14 fret so it was setup properly in the factory. I know that the action changes with the weather and humidity, but i guess he shouldn't needed to add a shim right? since the factory got it right without adding a shim. I am a bit of a noob on acoustic guitar setups since i haven't owned an acoustic before , so i might be wrong.
GUITARS:
Ibanez SAS36FM
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z
Guild D-150

AMPS:
Peavey Mini Colosal
H&K Tubemeister 18

PEDALS:
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Vox Satchurator
Digitech RV-7
The last guitar I saw with the identical problem of the action being too low, had a cracked soundboard brace, directly under the neck. This axe had almost the identical measurements as you describe for this Guild. Normal changes in humidity can account for a differential, but from playable to completely not, is sort of a stretch. You are in the northern hemisphere, so it's been winter for quite a while. Did your music shop use a humidifier while the heat was on? I know, sensitive question to ask.

So, I'm not saying your prospective guitar has the same problems as mine did, just the same symptoms.

This could also sway you over to the Takamine. Plus, you already have an amplifier lusting for it.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 12, 2012,
I don't think that the room was humidified, because when i asked about humidifiers they told me you don't need them in the UK so don't worry about it. I think the room that the guitars were stored in was warmer than the rest of the shop though. I am almost convinced to go with the Guild but now i am a bit worried with that, because i don't want to buy a brand new guitar with that kind of problems. Is there a way to check and make sure that there are no bracing problems with that guitar?
GUITARS:
Ibanez SAS36FM
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z
Guild D-150

AMPS:
Peavey Mini Colosal
H&K Tubemeister 18

PEDALS:
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Vox Satchurator
Digitech RV-7
OK. Just because a salesman says something isn't true, doesn't mean that is not.

Hell, even the guy in the factory could have been lying on the setup tag.

I'm over here in the colonies, and when you have the central heat on quite a bit. interiors get dry.

So, you can tap the soundboard of the guitar and listen for buzzes. You can put a small mirror inside the body, guide it around and look for problems.

Fender seems to have their guitars setup close to optimum, more so than some others like Ibanez, who generally ships a bit too high. I'm guessing that's to impress people with how much saddle is showing over the bridge, or to disguise a mediocre fret job.

I've bought 7 guitars in the past couple of years. All of them were either spot on, or too high. The one with issues such as you're describing, had to be sent back.

The disclaimer: your results may vary.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 12, 2012,
I have ordered a new Guild D-150 directly from Guild because i wasn't feeling comfortable to go with the ex-demo one, Now i have to wait...I hate waiting
GUITARS:
Ibanez SAS36FM
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z
Guild D-150

AMPS:
Peavey Mini Colosal
H&K Tubemeister 18

PEDALS:
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Vox Satchurator
Digitech RV-7
congrats on your new guitar. i did want to point out, however, that some people (i'm one of them) prefer our action lower than factory specs. you might want to avoid the guy in that shop and find an actual luthier or tech if you need a real setup. anyone who tweaks the neck for a guitar with action problems shouldn't be working on guitars - or at least, not on my guitars
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
congrats on your new guitar. i did want to point out, however, that some people (i'm one of them) prefer our action lower than factory specs.
This is sort of a "one size fits all" answer, to a, "ya gotta check the size on the tag", product.

I've bought 3 different brands of guitars recently, and each factory has their own "setup aesthetic".

1. Ibanez Art100 (Les copy), OK out of the box, but I tweaked it a tiny bit, after I put regular gauge strings on it. (All I was able to do with the electric lights, (.009- .042) was pretty much make noise. After .012- .053 acoustic strings and my 12 strings, this was to be expected.

2 Two Ibanez jumbos. Shipped way high. Sanded saddles well into the night with those 2 gems.

3. Fender "Sonoran" dread. Shipped perfectly setup, but no room for error. The neck straightened out a bit, and I did have to back the truss rod out to stop a bit of buzzing.

One of these Fenders is the guitar that got sent back for the cracked top brace. That sucker's action was wa-ay to low, and it buzzed like mashugna.

4, Two Crafter 12 strings.These are just a twitch high. With that said, there are such bizarre intonation adjustments ground into the saddles, I chickened out on trying to sand them. Perhaps it's just as well, I tune the electric 12 down to Eb standard, and the acoustic 12, to D standard. The strings, (and the sound), will get sloppy if you drop the saddle height very much in those lowered tunings. I tend to think of playing 12 strings like the batter in the on deck circle, swinging 2 bats to warm up....

Quote by patticake
you might want to avoid the guy in that shop and find an actual luthier or tech if you need a real setup. anyone who tweaks the neck for a guitar with action problems shouldn't be working on guitars - or at least, not on my guitars
As I said above, sometimes if there's no relief in the neck, the first adjustment is to loosen the truss rod. ((A teeny, weeny, bit).

With all that said, I still think makers ship high actions, so that it will mask inconsistencies in the neck and fret work.

Quote by Giorgosm10
I have ordered a new Guild D-150 directly from Guild because i wasn't feeling comfortable to go with the ex-demo one, Now i have to wait...I hate waiting
There there now, you're not alone, nobody likes waiting. Although, I read a sign at the unemployment office that said waiting was good for you. It builds character, much in the same way the people that did the study generated bullshit.

In any event, congratulations on your new Guild, and it will be here before we know it. (Geez, I'm really hedging my bets with that one.. ).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 17, 2012,
Thanks everyone for your help, hopefully tomorrow I am going to do a NGD thread for my first acoustic
GUITARS:
Ibanez SAS36FM
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z
Guild D-150

AMPS:
Peavey Mini Colosal
H&K Tubemeister 18

PEDALS:
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Vox Satchurator