Page 1 of 2
Funny thing, I consider myself a black metal musician and not, because to me I feel like I've been naturally been playing the music that started off in the 90's before getting any major influences like Burzum and Darkthrone. (If anyone's interested in how I preserve the sound from the 90's in Norway, then perhaps you should check out my music)

Anyways, this is rather a strange topic for me to revisit, because when I started listening to "black metal" it took me for the longest time to adjust, and over the two-three years of being into it, it takes me by many surprises as I learn different meaning behind this strange and attractive sub genre. I mean strangely just recently I discovered this quote by Euronymous:

I believe in a horned devil, a personified Satan. In my opinion all the other forms of Satanism are bullshit. [...] Satanism comes from religious Christianity, and there it shall stay. I'm a religious person and I will fight those who misuse His name. People are not supposed to believe in themselves and be individualists. They are supposed to OBEY, to be the SLAVES of religion. – Euronymous, in an interview by Esa Lahdenperä, early August 1993

So what is it to me? Well staying to your roots, discovering the esoteric wisdom held by our elders and using it as a power to further our journey to become Divine. (or technologically sophisticated creatures). And through the music I guess I promote this type of Enlightenment and get my listeners to think.
It means shit
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by technicolour
for me, it's a way of coping with not having a girlfriend

Really? I think it would do the exact opposite, most of the black metal people I know use it as an advantage to make themselves look bad ass and get laid....I don't associate with people like this.

It means worshipping this. Get to it!
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by IamPanic
Really? I think it would do the exact opposite, most of the black metal people I know use it as an advantage to make themselves look bad ass and get laid....I don't associate with people like this.

How many people donning corpse paint have you ever seen getting laid?
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by IamPanic

the only girls I know who like anything close to black metal are brain dead drop outs
Quote by IamPanic
most of the black metal people I know use it as an advantage to make themselves look bad ass and get laid

There not true black metal fans. You love the music, you dont use it for taking an advantage of it and looking stronger. Thats not the point of black metal in my opinion.

I support you of not associating with those people. There fags.
It's about staying true to yourself but also repping pretentious goth nerdiness.

rip euronymous
rip dimebag
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Stranglehold

It means worshipping this. Get to it!

You see that's the thing, alot of people abide to Venom, and that's okay, I just never really looked at them as anything special as most commercial loving metalheads do. It's a funny thing "Lay down your souls to the gods' rock n' roll" kinda ties in what Euronymous talked about- in the most ridiculous manor of course, Venom is just a funny band to me, and don't really stand for anything else but the music and and the Rock n' roll attitude, to me that's primitive.
Quote by technicolour
for me, it's a way of coping with not having a girlfriend

I'd have to go with that too. xD I love the music though. There's something about a lot of black metal artists I don't get from other stuff that's particularly cathartic. Burzum and Nocturnal Breed's first albums in particular I find good for dealing with being angry, and stuff like Agalloch and later Summoning(the first album or so falls into the first category...I like making pterodactyl noises along to Flight Of The Nazgul) just...Iunno. Soothing, I guess. xD Something about some black metal groups that I don't really get from most other stuff. Very emotional music, but it's not coming through the lyrics, it's coming through the music itself.

Maybe I'm retarded, but...that's just my view on some black metal. Never really got into Dimmu Borgir or Behemoth though, and the few post-De Mysteriis Mayhem songs I heard were not my cup of tea(that said, one of them was, like, random instrumental synth) so I can't speak for them. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
To me it's everything, especially the darker emotions that some people are afraid to channel. Songs like "In the Cold Winds of Nowhere" make me feel like I'm off dying alone in the cold, but somehow enjoy it. It's a really crazy and disturbing feeling, but addicting. Black metal is a symphony for the soul.
It means to me, metal, which is black. You have to ask your self how much more black could this music be? and if the answer is none., None more black. Then it means it's black metal, and it means that that is what the music is, black, metal.
Euronymous, you created some really good music in your time, but you were seriously full of shit.
Black metal, to me, means using the power of human creativity to its full potential. Playing your instruments and writing your music like no other has done before. When I play black metal, I unleash my true emotions and have the most fun with what I'm doing. As much as it is a perfect example of how creative and unique people can be, let us not forget that black metal was created not for people to enjoy, but to unleash your musical potential and at the same time just generally have fun with the music you play. I still view it as such, it is the music that truly expresses me, so I play it and write it. It is the most interesting genre of music created by humans, because you can literally do anything you want with it. Black metal - have it your way!
Originally Posted by Azbats63
I'm the only white guy in a band in El Paso. My bandmates call me El Diablo Blanco. They tell me it means "trusted friend."
The new Dødsengel cd is fantastic in case any of you guys were wondering. It is not Mirium Occultum (still their best in my opinion), but it is most definitely a solid effort that is worth investing a lot of time into. This is black metal.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
See this is why we got Liturgy in the first place...
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by j-falafel
, because you can literally do anything you want with it. Black metal - have it your way!

edit: ^
My god you people are retarded. It's just music. Yes it is designed to provoke emotion and be chilling and mournful, but don't build your entire personality around a genre of music people. MetalGS3SE was entirely correct.

Venom have earned their place in black metal history as at the time, they were the darkest and most terrifying mother****ers out there.

Also forget 2nd wave bands like dimmu borgir. Listen to Bathory mang.
You listen to Hellhammer, bromanski?
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by technicolour

Yeah I'm kinda confuzeled by the ignorance of his comment, I don't think he quite understands also that it is difficult to define oneself in a greedy pro Capitalist world, which is why many find connections to all forms of "Black Metal". I may disagree with what black metal should be, but if this is what it is to some person who really needs it I would find it pointless challenging a weak hearted persons' beliefs.
Capitalism was founded by Moonblood ebay bootleggers.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
The capitalist jews are destroying the biological entity of Europe.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
I was raised by wolves out in the forests of Siberia where it was always winter, even during the summer. I guess you could say that black metal kind of reminds me of my childhood.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I was raised by wolves out in the forests of Siberia where it was always winter, even during the summer. I guess you could say that black metal kind of reminds me of my childhood.

Shut up. You're nothing but a false Raccoon.
Quote by Crazed Shredder
The capitalist jews are destroying the biological entity of Europe.

This has nothing to do with Jews (whoever they are) last I checked historically, the real ethnic jews ended up mixing with the Khazars (one of the many tribes in Turkey), so really, there is no such thing as an ethnic jew.

I just simply targeted Capitalism because I believe the world wont be able to tolerate 9 billion greedy people by 2020. I just simply targeted the greed aspect and how greed will become our ultimate downfall. This is one of the reasons I write my music.
Quote by IamPanic
This has nothing to do with Jews (whoever they are) last I checked historically, the real ethnic jews ended up mixing with the Khazars (one of the many tribes in Turkey), so really, there is no such thing as an ethnic jew.

I just simply targeted Capitalism because I believe the world wont be able to tolerate 9 billion greedy people by 2020. I just simply targeted the greed aspect and how greed will become our ultimate downfall. This is one of the reasons I write my music.

It was a Varg joke...
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's about staying true to yourself but also repping pretentious goth nerdiness.

rip euronymous
rip dimebag

Dude, I want to sig this sooo bad at the risk of being distasteful
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."
Quote by Stranglehold
Capitalism was founded by Moonblood ebay bootleggers.

this
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by AnnihiSlateR
but isn't hedonism an intrinsic part of what black metal is about? Which could also be argued to be the case for capitalism.

I actually believe in free market capitalism.
Quote by beadhangingOne
It means a man screaming in a bee infested cave.

But it's one damn great sounding cave.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Why the hell is this still open? Seriously if I was Strangles this wouldn't have lasted 5 seconds.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by severed-metal
FREEEEEDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM

Funniest thing I've seen all week. I actually lolled.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Page 1 of 2