Page 1 of 2
IE, how do you get your coursework done? Or just any work if you will.

I'm curious since I've seen so many ways of doing it, some effectives and some less. How do you do yours? Any breaks? Where? At the computer? Pen and paper? Music? I'm always welcome to tips
  • I do mine either standing up at my standing desk, or sitting down at my stationary. I run dropbox between them so I can easily switch between them.
  • I have a document tray with three drawers for either incoming, in progress or outgoing (the drawers aren't just for coursework though) so I know what's where. I might print things out and put them in the document tray so I have them there physically.
  • I keep the stations well-lit so I don't get tired, and try to keep a clean work area. I find that I work the best with no music, although I usually have something on.
  • My breaks vary, maybe 30 mins work, 30 mins play.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
1. Receive coursework
2. If I enjoy it, finish it after two days
3. This never happens, so I wait until the last week
4. I then panic and do nothing for 5 days
5. Two days before the deadline, I, for the first time, organise the materials needed for the project
6. At 12pm the night before the deadline, I begin work

This is actually what I am doing right now.
I procrastinate until the night before it's due, at which point I stay up all night shitting something out, and usually get an A.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
do nothing do nothing do nothing do nothing do nothing do nothing all nighter

stratkat
At the desk in my room, on my laptop, sometimes with music, sometimes without. When I'm not doing a serious work session I'll sometimes have a film on, and flick between working and watching.

The problem I have with coursework is always getting started. I nearly always struggle for ages over the first paragraph, but once I get over that I settle into a flow and it gets a lot easier from there.

I'm also notoriously last minute, so breaks are often a luxury I can't afford
I'm glad to see that the whole of the Pit are procrastinators.

I'm also glad to see that I'm in good company
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I'll get all the research I need for the coursework and take all the notes down on it. Then I tend to write in 1-2 hour bursts until it's done.

I sometimes have a movie on but usually it's Let's Plays or random podcasts. Can tune in and out of them and they don't distract me that much. I just can't work with music though. Way too distracting. However when I was studying for high school exams way back when, I did find that I studied pretty well to Slayer. I hate Slayer.

I did do an all nighter in the computer lab once. Finished at like 4 and had 2+ hours til the next train with nothing to do. Shit sucked.

I also can't work if my room/desk is untidy or if I know there is unwashed dishes in the kitchen.
Last edited by homeless-john at Apr 11, 2012,
My work is almost entirely reading and some written responses, so I read with bright lights on, sitting in a comfortable chair in silence or as close as I can get. If there are distractions, I put on instrumental music. Lyrics really ruin my reading comprehension. Very few breaks. Like 5 minutes at most if I need one.
Quote by EuBoat
do nothing do nothing do nothing do nothing do nothing do nothing all nighter

This, except replace "all nighter" with "half an hour of scribbling a load of absolute poppycock, probably copied from something you already wrote on the computer but can't print because the printer, as always, doesn't work".
Typically I wait until the day before something is do and do it then unless it's a huge project and then I'll give myself two days to work, usually accomplishing little the first day other than organizing some thoughts.

Same goes for exams, study the night prior to it, if it's a huge comprehensive/written final maybe take two days.
I always do my coursework the night it was assigned

As is the life of a pre-med student.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by ErikLensherr
I procrastinate until the night before it's due, at which point I stay up all night shitting something out, and usually get an A.

Yeah.

I don't have much homework though. Just studying for moderately difficult tests and an occasional essay.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Turn on computer
Do nothing productive
Do nothing productive
Do nothing productive
Do nothing productive
Do nothing productive
Do nothing productive
Do nothing productive
Do nothing productive
Oh shit, I've just wasted 8 hours
Do nothing productive
Do nothing productive
Do nothing productive
Do nothing productive
It's getting late, I'm too tired to do it today
Bedtime
Rinse, repeat ad infinitum

EDIT: As you may have guessed, I am currently procrastinating.
Last edited by sashki at Apr 11, 2012,
try and do it in college with less distractions.
i try to do as little work as possible at home - if i see something i want to do more than work, i'll do it, at college my brain see's work as the only possible thing to do so i get shit done. i listen to albums at a time of normally mudvayne or epica
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by CoreysMonster
1. Receive coursework
5. Two days before the deadline, I, for the first time, organise the materials needed for the project

I thought I was the only one stupid enough to do that!
procrastinate
procrastinate
procrastinate
finally start working, usually the day before the thing is due or sometimes the day it's due if it's not due until midnight and can be submitted online

i work with instrumental or soft music (usually City and Colour)
take lots of breaks

luckily i haven't had any really super long papers (longest was 8 pages, gave myself 2 days for that one)
twitter: @ljg35

Xbox Live (CoD MW3, Halo 4, NHL 13): ljg 01 Adler
Start it when i feel like it. Finnish it in one sitting. Edit for the next 3 months...
Quote by CoreysMonster
1. Receive coursework

Given that you are on UG can I assume you aren't at step 6 yet?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by ErikLensherr

This precisely.

I honestly can't do work ahead of time. I just sit there doing nothing. I need the pressure.

Quote by frankv

Nah, I'm currently in that phase. Paper due Monday, and I know I should start, but I won't.

Actually, I just opened my laptop to look some stuff up....
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Apr 11, 2012,
Quote by WCPhils
This precisely.

I honestly can't do work ahead of time. I just sit there doing nothing. I need the pressure.

This used to work for me, but I've become desensitized to last-minute pressure. Now I won't even do work if it's overdue.
I'll start at 9 tonight

might as well finish watching this 9:10 PM ill start

what 10:00 PM no way

ugh I should start now

need to pee

kinda hungry

12:30 AM what where did you come from

might as well finish jacking off

what 2:00 AM

I'll do it in the morning
Right now I'm coding a large site for my final project for uni, so my work schedule is pretty much:

Wake up

Bum around for 2 hours

Correctly implement feature (this can take an indefinite amount of time dependant on how large the feature is and how many bugs I come across trying to get it to work)

Break: 30mins

Then on to the next feature

This goes on until it's time for bed.

I pretty much just chuck on some music and start hammering out some code. Nothing else that I do specifically when working come to mind.
Last edited by FlashNinja at Apr 11, 2012,
I also found this helpful. Going to print it out when I can get my hands on a colour printer.

Quote by CoreysMonster
1. Receive coursework

This.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
You people procastrinate way too much

... not that I'm any better.
Quote by frankv

Nope, that's usually my primary course of action too.
Not good. Couldn't tell you the number of essays I started at about 8am on the day they were due in.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I always do coursework at a computer. It's quicker.
I don't take any breaks until I finish, because I know I'll get lazy and not bother completing the task. I don't eat food until I finish either. When I finish, I reward myself with a meal.

I'm a GCSE student, so I'm screwed for the work I'm going to get later.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Last edited by Woffelz at Apr 12, 2012,
Most of my assignments are research essays so I get between 4-6 weeks between getting it and the deadline.

Week 1: Do research, get the books, print off journal articles etc
Week 2-3: Read through everything, highlight etc type up notes putting them roughly into the structure of ideas my essay will follow
Week 4-6: Sit down and write it, reread, redraft, send it to a friend to read, double check sources etc.

In terms of working environment, I tend to do most of my research in the uni library because it means the books are on hand and I'm less likely to get distracted (you have to connect to the uni internet so I can choose not to easier than I can at home). When writing I'll sit in the lounge room that no one uses at the table so I can have everything I need in one place.

Music is a must for me whatever I'm doing, it keeps me focused. Coffee too,or a pot of herbal tea.

My only issue is for writing I really have to be in the zone/mood. I can't force out an essay, which is why I hate exams.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Last edited by jambi_mantra at Apr 12, 2012,
I'm a procrastinator, always have been, but I desperately want to change it.

Alright - evidently, I'm not that desperate, since I haven't really done anything about it yet. I guess you can say that I'm procrastinating getting rid of my habit of procrastination.

It's a deadly cycle
Pretty much what everyone else has said
Panic about deadlines but do nothing until the last couple of days and pull a all nighter.
Never manage to do any work at my desk at home, too many distractions. Work in a library/computer lab. Prefer to have no music but if there are people talking around me then put on headphones and listen to something minimal.
OSCILLATE WILDLY!
Usually gather my information quite soon, but won't actually begin to write it until 2 days before the deadline.
At that point, it takes me a while to start, but once I do I get quite a lot done in relatively little time. I then decide I have worked enough for a day, and that there is little else to do for the day after.
The day after (day before deadline) I realise just how much work left I have to complete, and so end up working until very late to finish. Quite a lot of time in this last step is spent trying to format the damn thing.
And finally, I always spot the inevitable mistake just before handing it in the morning of the deadline.

All the writing is done on my laptop in my room. I try and avoid the library.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Last edited by solo_freak at Apr 12, 2012,
Depends on the assignment...online assignments and papers I do on my computer while sitting on my couch.
Quick little things I usually do right before class.
In general I procrastinate, though I try not to...I usually always do it at night, unless I do it at school right before class.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Page 1 of 2