Okay, so I'm taking my guitar playing to the next level and beyond after neglecting for a long time. Finally found that inspiration AND motivation to practice hard and seriously.

Anyway, let's take this as an example.

e|--19^15----------15--|
b|--------17----17-----|
g|-----------16--------|
d|---------------------|
a|---------------------|
e|---------------------|

Which picking method would be best?
I tend to play it DUUDD, however everywhere I go says UUDDD.
Before I commit fully to one, which method has the most advantage?
Similarly, if I was to add another note on the d string, I'd play it [including the initial hammer-off as first hit]; DUUUDDD.
However, it seems that UUUDDDD is recommended.

So, is there a better way? Or does it really not matter in the end?

EDIT: What about UUUDD?
EDIT2: UUUDD seems to work best, so I may just go with that. and UUUUDDD.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Apr 11, 2012,
It doesn't matter really, the most important part is that you use a way of picking that can be cycled easily. I've seen people do both and both get up to incredible speeds with it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It doesn't matter really, the most important part is that you use a way of picking that can be cycled easily. I've seen people do both and both get up to incredible speeds with it.

Alright, thanks that's what I was thinking.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
I thought, at least 'traditionally' that it depended where the beat falls. If 19 starts on the beat, I would play it D-pull off-UUDD. To loop it I'd then hammer-on and pull-off. Sorry if that's not what you're asking.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Laney IRT Studio + 112 cab
It's really just whatever you are most comfortable. As long as you can play it well and clean, and cycle it as Zaphod said, it doesn't matter how you do it. Personally though, I'd go up, pull off, up, down, down, down.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I was just going with what I'd been taught. My teacher is Grade 8 qualified, so I trusted him on this. However, I was also told to learn things like that both ways, so you always have the choice of how to play something.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Thanks to both of you!

Quote by G-Dog_666
I was just going with what I'd been taught. My teacher is Grade 8 qualified, so I trusted him on this. However, I was also told to learn things like that both ways, so you always have the choice of how to play something.

Yeah, I noticed that I can easily play with either a down or up as the first note, as - using the 4 string sweep as an example, both DUUUDDD and UUUUDDD feel pretty good [when looping it the second is better, but the first one seems good for starting the sweep initially].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Apr 11, 2012,
Quote by Simsimius
Thanks to both of you!

Yeah, I noticed that I can easily play with either a down or up as the first note, as - using the 4 string sweep as an example, both DUUUDDD and UUUUDDD feel pretty good [when looping it the second is better, but the first one seems good for starting the sweep initially].
Yeah, as far as I know, it is all relative to where the notes start in the bar. And some guitarists play in 'unorthodox' ways, like Paul Gilbert starting some of his 'on the beat' licks with upstrokes. So it isn't concrete either way. My way was just a sort of 'rule of thumb'. Go with what feels more natural to you and good luck.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps: