I've been playing guitar for 2 - 3 years, and right now I'm in a rut as far as improvement goes. I know major/minor pentatonic scale shapes, I'm learning music theory (but I'm having issues applying some of it to guitar), I know some songs, what "sounds good" in terms of fretting, chord progressions, etc. but I feel incompetent as a guitarist as a whole. What sort of direction should I go in to get better? Learning Underoath songs and riffs isn't helping me improve as a guitarist and I'm just curious as to what sort of steps I should take to improve from here. Thanks!
Write your own music. Listen to more of other people's music.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I would suggest you learn the different "modes" of the major scale. They will allow you to solo outside of the pentatonics. Learn these shapes in the key of G, and you can move them to change key. These will allow you to learn shapes of what notes are in each key, and will allow you to use the whole fretboard

Ionian (Major)
Dorian (Minor, with 6th normal)
Phrygian (Minor, b2)
Lydian (Major, #4)
Mixo - Lydian (Major, b7)
Aeolian (Minor)
Locrian (Minor, b3, b7)

In the key of G you can play
G- Ionian
A-Dorian
B-Phrygian
C-Lydian
D-Mixo
E-Aeolian (sp?)
F-Locrian
Well what do you want to improve in your guitar playing?

I for instance, am completely satisfied with my riffing ability, but really need to get better at soloing. I recently had a revelation "Wow, maybe the reason I'm so much better at riffing than soloing is that ALL I KNOW IS RIFFS!" It seemed obvious once I thought of it, but I had always kinda put off learning guitar solos because its more difficult. I aim to fix that now by learning solos to songs I already know some of.

Just come up with some specific goals, like "I want to learn to sweep pick" (which in my experience takes forever) "I want to learn to pick 3 billion bpm" (not actually possible, but still a good goal) or more simply "I'm going to finally learn to play the fricken solo from Mr. Crowley!". Learning a new style of guitar can also be good.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by yousef213
I would suggest you learn the different "modes" of the major scale. They will allow you to solo outside of the pentatonics. Learn these shapes in the key of G, and you can move them to change key. These will allow you to learn shapes of what notes are in each key, and will allow you to use the whole fretboard

Ionian (Major)
Dorian (Minor, with 6th normal)
Phrygian (Minor, b2)
Lydian (Major, #4)
Mixo - Lydian (Major, b7)
Aeolian (Minor)
Locrian (Minor, b3, b7)

In the key of G you can play
G- Ionian
A-Dorian
B-Phrygian
C-Lydian
D-Mixo
E-Aeolian (sp?)
F-Locrian

Modes are really not the answer, especially not if you're going to learn them in that horribly wrong way.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^
Dear god no

I don't have time to go through all the things that are inaccurate or misguided about that post, I know you mean well but it's really bad "advice"

TS, ignore the word "modes" -they're not going to help one bit at this stage.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
^
Dear god no

I don't have time to go through all the things that are inaccurate or misguided about that post, I know you mean well but it's really bad "advice"

TS, ignore the word "modes" -they're not going to help one bit at this stage.

Modes definitely aren't on my list of things to learn right now haha.
Yeah, say no to the modes. They're probably the least helpful thing ever as far as actually getting better. Creativity/weirdness maybe, but really, modes are not the end all be all of guitar like people pretend they are.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

learn a different style
for instance,if your a metal guy, learn the blues
learn the style, techniques, etc. check out blues guitarists from the early days to modern
you will be amazed what "something different" will do
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Pick up an acoustic and learn some simple songs that you can sing to - or others can sing to.
Give yourself a breather from the'norm', but do something enjoyable rather than challenging or difficult.