Im going to be buying a new amp. I have a line 6 spider iv 30 right now and a boss me50, both of which ill probably sell, and i have a budget of about £450. Im looking for an amp that can handle Djent, Metal, Prog metal, Indie, Classic Rock etc. Some bands i play are Periphery, Killswitch Engage, Arctic Monkeys, August Burns Red, The Beatles, Enter Shikari, Guns N Roses, Gallows, Foo Fighters, Joe Satriani, Lamb of God, Slipknot and Your Demise. So basically im looking for an amp that can handle these or most of them anyway. Ive heard the Blackstar HT-5's are good, so i could boost them with an OD pedal or something. Any other Suggestions?
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
At that price, check out the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo...that'll at least get you that Beatles tone you're after.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Lol. A little HT-5 won't cover anywhere near the amount of ground you want to cover.

Get a Vypyr Tube
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
got told the vypyr tube doesnt have alot of gain and its got alot of faults. also i dont need much volume, so 6505 combo would be too much. i have 30 watts SS right now and its never past 3.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596
got told the vypyr tube doesnt have alot of gain and its got alot of faults. also i dont need much volume, so 6505 combo would be too much. i have 30 watts SS right now and its never past 3.

Doesn't have a lot of gain? Whoever told you that is dumb. The Vypyr has enough gain for anything you could possibly want.

There are some issues with the lower wattage ones. Freezing, resetting etc.. There really aren't any issues with the tube models though. I'm not sure why, since they theoretically should all have the same DSP going on, but eh. There's basically no complaints that I've heard with the Vypyr Tube.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
which tones are more important, the vintage or modern?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Jet City combo maybe. Might need an OD with it though.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
id say modern is more important, its just the odd time i take a shine to vintage tones and playing, llike guns n roses and stuff, but mostly what i like is sparkly clean djenty tones, theyre nice.
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
k

vypyr tube might actually be worth a look. never tried one, though.

traynor ycv50b on thomann would be good except it's probably not aimed as much at the heavier stuff (which is why i asked which were more important).

if you only occasionally play the more modern stuff, a 6505 or bugera (never tried bugeras) might be worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by leigh596

FYI, if you stick with the one speaker in the cab/combo, doubling the wattage only increases the perceived volume by .23. So where your 30W amp = 1, the 6505+ 112 Combo would only increase it to 1.23. Barely noticeable. This goes for any amp btw, just using the Peavey as an example. FWIW, in order to double your perceived volume (from 30W) you'd need a 300W amp pushing the same single speaker...or add many more speakers to increase the volume (not a linear equation though). For instance, using the Peavey to drive a 412 cab instead of it's single speaker increases by the same 3db (1.23) as simply doubling the wattage and driving one speaker. Nerdy stuff, but important to consider while amp shopping. Don't want you to be turned off by higher wattage amps on false pretenses.

Happy searching.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Yeah, correct me if im wrong but isnt tube louder than SS? and needs to be quite loud to let the tubes get warm etc and i cant get it loud. I could buy an attenuator but im not sure. I really like the peavey though, dont know if its really as versatile as required though. Does anyone know if it has good cleans?
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Have you checked out the Egnater Rebel? It's not as high gain as the peavey or even the Tweaker but the clean to mid gain and overall tone is better IMO. But the kicker for you would be the watt selector. It doesn't affect volume it affects gain. 1w gets crunchy at low volume and 20w stays cleaner at higher volume. So, in your bedroom, the rebel is actually better for high gain than the 6505. Sounds crazy, I could easily be wrong
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by leigh596
Yeah, correct me if im wrong but isnt tube louder than SS? and needs to be quite loud to let the tubes get warm etc and i cant get it loud. I could buy an attenuator but im not sure. I really like the peavey though, dont know if its really as versatile as required though. Does anyone know if it has good cleans?
You don't need to turn up tube amps to get a good sound. To get power tube breakup, yes, but you won't need that for your genres, and power tube breakup is even too loud with a 10w amp. The 6505 should sound fine at a low volume.

That 6505 will be great for the heavier stuff but it seriously lacks a good clean channel. I mean, the cleans are there, but as someone else here described them, they sound like someone with an annoying voice talking.

Jet City JCA5012c (NOT 5212rc) is also worth a look. Has all the gain you will need for just about any genre of metal, but is voiced a bit differently than the 6505, has better cleans, and will be better for the other genres you listed than the 6505.

And yes, it also operates at a low volume.
Quote by jlaflamme
Just buy a Peavey Classic 50 410 and you will never have to buy another amp!

410 oh **** me
I can barely lift the 212
Quote by jlaflamme
Just buy a Peavey JSX and you will never have to buy another amp!

FTFY.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by jlaflamme
Just buy a Peavey Classic 50 410 and you will never have to buy another amp!
Peavey Classic 50 for playing modern metal? Nice one, idiot. :face palm:
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Peavey Classic 50 for playing modern metal? Nice one, idiot. :face palm:
so it's probably bad for me to admit that I've actually done that LOL
So final verdict? because most amps getting mentioned are out of my price range. id rather spend £350-400 really
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
We don't make the final verdict bro, you do. Good luck
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
im saying the 6505 but im not sure because of the cleans. ill look into it more
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596
im saying the 6505 but im not sure because of the cleans. ill look into it more

The 6505+ have decent cleans. It's a pretty well rounded amp that takes pedals like a king. If the cleans are not good enough, get a good reverb pedal. If you become unhappy with the the crunch channel, there are plenty of good overdrive pedalsto change it up.
DBZ Bird of Prey Sepulchre
Diamond Nitrox Head
Diamond Nitrox 4x12 Cabinet
Last edited by dspari1 at Apr 13, 2012,
The 6505 crunch and lead channels will cover all the overdriven territory you need. As for the cleans, swapping in JJ tubes improved mine a bunch. I also suspect most owners bought it for use with a gtr using hot pups, active EMGs, Blackouts and the like. Trying to get great cleans from this amp with hot active pups can be tricky. But if you dial back the vol knob on the gtr they can def be usable. Also, when I play my Strat with SC pups, or LP with Alnico IIs the cleans improve significantly. BL: the cleans can be dialed in, the crunch/lead channels are about as good as they come for the price.

And if you get ambitious you can do some cool things with it:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1530322
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Yup, thats what I said ****face, a Peavey Classic 50. If u read the post u would also note that he plays classic rock. If u want a metal tone, just throw a Boss SD 1 on the floor and use that. It's quite obvious your a little ****ing pisspot novice guitar player who knows nothing about how versatile these amps are.
Quote by jlaflamme
Yup, thats what I said ****face, a Peavey Classic 50. If u read the post u would also note that he plays classic rock. If u want a metal tone, just throw a Boss SD 1 on the floor and use that.
Idiot, read the rest of his damn post:

Some bands i play are Periphery, Killswitch Engage, Arctic Monkeys, August Burns Red, The Beatles, Enter Shikari, Guns N Roses, Gallows, Foo Fighters, Joe Satriani, Lamb of God, Slipknot and Your Demise.
And your expecting a Classic 50 to do all that with ease?

"Just use a Boss distortion pedal" Yeah, sure. How about just throw the damn Boss in the trash.

Quote by jlaflamme
It's quite obvious your a little ****ing pisspot novice guitar player who knows nothing about how versatile these amps are.
Novice? 10 years of my life I've been at it, bitch.

I've got enough experience with the Peavey Classic line to speak on it. Delta Blues, to be specific, (father's old amp, not mine) which is the same as the Classic but with 10" speakers and a useless tremolo circuit. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE who says that damn thing is a good metal amp is BEYOND high on some seriously strong shit. I don't care what the hell you boost it with, the distortion is muddy as shit and completely unusable for ANY metal genre. Especially for what the TS is playing.

If you want to tell me it sounds good for that genre, that's fine. In the meantime unclog your ears from the 18 pounds of shit.
Quote by jlaflamme
Yup, thats what I said ****face, a Peavey Classic 50. If u read the post u would also note that he plays classic rock. If u want a metal tone, just throw a Boss SD 1 on the floor and use that. It's quite obvious your a little ****ing pisspot novice guitar player who knows nothing about how versatile these amps are.

I'm not a novice, and I know exactly how versatile the Classic is. Your advice was terrible. An SD-1 in front of a Classic will not under any circumstances give you a metalcore tone.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I'm not a novice, and I know exactly how versatile the Classic is. Your advice was terrible. An SD-1 in front of a Classic will not under any circumstances give you a metalcore tone.
FUCK OFF FUCKFACE! HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT! YOU'RE JUST A PISSPOOR NOVICE AND DON'T KNOW HOW FUKING VERSITILE THE CLASSIC 50 IS. THE VEERRRRSSSITTTTILITYYYYYYY

...Honestly, when you say a cheapass Boss distortion into a BLUES with 10" speakers is proper metal tone than that's just flushing any and all crediblity straight down the toilet. Put the bong down, buddy. It's not 4/20 anymore.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Apr 25, 2012,
Not relevant, but what an SD-1 into a Classic will do is give you a damn nice Pink Floyd tone on the cheepz. Throw some delay and a tiny bit of chorus in there, and you got yourself a tone stew.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
lol.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless