i bought an ibanez GRG170DX about a week ago for £30 with the intention of re-spraying it and changing the hardware. anyway its a H-S-H pickup configuration and naturally the single coil is pathetic compared to the humbuckers, i've taken the single out and atm i'm left with the red and white wires that went to it. i wasn't sure whether to solder the ends together or just leave them? also what will happen if the guitar is plugged in and the selector switch is set to a position that uses this pickup?
You should unsolder the two wires at the pot they are connected to. If you select those two wires nothing will happen because they aren't distributing current to a pickup. Since you have a five way switch, a selection of bridge+middle would now result in bridge only. Neck+middle=neck. I'm guessing that you will have two neck positions on the switch, one empty, and two bridge positions. If it bugs you, then you could get a Tele switch and stick it in there (might not work only because it is pickguard mount, and Ibanez guitars commonly have body mount switches), some soldering required.
Don't solder them together though.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
Quote by y2k11hmmm?
You should unsolder the two wires at the pot they are connected to. If you select those two wires nothing will happen because they aren't distributing current to a pickup. Since you have a five way switch, a selection of bridge+middle would now result in bridge only. Neck+middle=neck. I'm guessing that you will have two neck positions on the switch, one empty, and two bridge positions. If it bugs you, then you could get a Tele switch and stick it in there (might not work only because it is pickguard mount, and Ibanez guitars commonly have body mount switches), some soldering required.
Don't solder them together though.

thanks for the quick reply, i'll probably unsolder the 2 wires and put a new switch in. thanks